besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    love
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Mrs Jruzer makes them occasionally. They're pretty good - the kids like them. She wouldn't make them for just the 2 of us though - boring.

Fun fact: Here in Wisconsin they call sloppy Joes "Barbecue". I was seriously confused the first time I ordered a "barbecue sandwich", expecting pulled pork, and instead receiving a sad sloppy Joe.

OMG...that's one of the most horrible things I've ever heard...that's just not right...

I agree. I think it's an older usage that is slowly going out of style.

Here's an article I found.
    It seems a lot of us have fond memories of not only the frosty cold glass mugs of root beer at A&W Root Beer stands, but of the food as well. B. Chamberlain asked if anyone knows how to make the barbecue as served at the stand on Madison Street in Eau Claire, Wis., back in the 1960s. She called the sandwich “the best-tasting anywhere.”

Wonder of wonders, the recipe has been found! And it turns out, it’s not what we’d traditionally call barbecue, but is closer to a Sloppy Joe or “loose meat” sandwich.

http://onlineathens.com/features-food/2013-09-17/cicero-persistent-professor-tracked-down-aw-barbecue-recipe
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    they're okay. I mean, if that's what someone has a picnic I'll eat it, but I won't go out of my way to make it myself
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yes! Home made, but yes a definite favorite.
  • PersianKitty94
    PersianKitty94 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    So basically avoid Manwich? And just make it from scratch?
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    Do not make it at all
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    So basically avoid Manwich? And just make it from scratch?

Yes, and toast the bun under the broiler with or without butter to keep it from getting soggy. I have a crock pot sloppy joe recipe I've used for years, but now that my kids are long gone I don't make them anymore. No one needs that many sloppy joes.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @PersianKitty94, are you looking to do this for the event you were discussing in another thread?

Sloppy Joes are a staple in potlucks, at least around here. They are easy to prepare in quantity and can be kept hot in a slow cooker.

ETA: And yes, make them from scratch. Honestly it's not much more difficult than using the canned stuff.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Options
    It's been so long, but YES!
  • _Emily85
    _Emily85 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Hell yes! SJ with yellow mustard and hamburger dill slices on top.
    Side of pork&beans
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    Going to urban dictionary first, then be right back to answer
  • schmanciepants
    schmanciepants Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I hate (seriously hate) ketchup, so a no for me....but ground beef, BBQ sauce, onions and pickles on a bun sounds good. Not sure what you would call that?
  • Cusneddie
    Cusneddie Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks, now I am craving Sloppy Joe's!!!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    They're quick, easy to hide veggies in, and my kids don't argue, so yeah, I like them. I just bought some new stuff to try. Has anyone else ever tried it? It's Johnny's brand and comes in a little jug.
  • djwar9858
    djwar9858 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Gross
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    http://m.wimp.com/toddler-says-what-were-all-thinking-about-sloppy-joes/

I hope this link works! I thought about this very confused little guy when I saw this question. And no, I really dislike them.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I love cheese on my sloppy joes with onion and mustard.

mad re5pext
  • itsy_bitsy_spider
    itsy_bitsy_spider Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I make lentils (2c water to 1c lentils, for 40 min), then add 1 T Dijon, 1 T lite soy sauce, 2 T ketchup, 2 T brown sugar, I can tomato paste, 1 can mild green chiles (minced jalapeños would be better) and some cumin. So good, believe it or not. On a whole wheat bun with a slice of Monterey Jack, I'm telling you.... it's really good. Don't be skeered... embrace the lentil :)