Help!

Options
I'm a Uni student on budget and I usually buy carb-loaded foods.
Like right now, I can only afford wheat bread, tuna, oats, eggs, tofu and cottage cheese.
I know my diet isn't balanced so I need suggestions on what vegetables and fruits to eat -- considering they are affordable.

Thanks to anyone who'll suggest!

Replies

• DazednConfoosed
    Options
    A 32 oz bag of frozen peas run about a buck fifty to two bucks per bag. Peas are VERY healthy. You don't have to cook them, just thaw them, eat them as is or use them on salads or add them to hot meals.

Peas are one of the few wonder foods we have because they are so loaded with a lot of the many healhty vitamins and minerals we need plus they are a bit sweat so if you don't like them cooked they are not half bad just thawed. If you can't afford any other vegie (which it would be best if you could vary), peas would be a great way to go.
  • Slimmerby60
    Options
    Try salad, cucumbers, zuchini or summer squash, bell peppers. Slice them up and eat as a snack. Carrots by the bag. You can get a cheap dressing and dip them to make a nice snack.

Hope that helps.
  • psychofied
    psychofied Posts: 138
    Options
    Thank you very much! I'll try to buy them next week. 8)
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    beans? they take preparation but like the previous person said about the peas, you don't have to eat them cooked once you soak them. i eat chick peas cold as a snack. very healthy and much easier than grabbing a candy bar in the check out lane after a busy day.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I make a cous cous salad that lasts all week.
    Prepare one box plain cous cous, add cut up cucumbers and tomatoes, dried dill, lemon juice and some olive oil. Chill and serve cold. One batch makes a lot, and I eat some tuna with it.
    You can add some crumbled feta to the salad too, if you have an Aldi's near you their feta is cheap and good. Olives can be added also.

Cost breakdown:
    Cous Cous $2.50
    Cucumber (one hothouse) $1.99
    Tomatoes (2) $1.50
    Lemon $ .75

Total: $6.74 and this lasts me at least 5 days, $1.38/day. I didn't include the dill and olive oil because most people have the oil and some dried dill on hand.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I make a cous cous salad that lasts all week.
    Prepare one box plain cous cous, add cut up cucumbers and tomatoes, dried dill, lemon juice and some olive oil. Chill and serve cold. One batch makes a lot, and I eat some tuna with it.
    You can add some crumbled feta to the salad too, if you have an Aldi's near you their feta is cheap and good. Olives can be added also.

Cost breakdown:
    Cous Cous $2.50
    Cucumber (one hothouse) $1.99
    Tomatoes (2) $1.50
    Lemon $ .75

Total: $6.74 and this lasts me at least 5 days, $1.38/day. I didn't include the dill and olive oil because most people have the oil and some dried dill on hand.

again totally agree with the cous cous stuff, you can add ANYTHING you want basicaly my son loves chillis in his and i add lemon jucie to my salad one! the world is totally your oyster...oh yeh you can add that too! lol
  • jenc79
    jenc79 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Could you get a couple of pots and grow your own? Herbs are pretty easy to start with, I've also got going with tomatoes, peppers and chillis this year. Mum has a pick-and-come-again type lettuce planter.

I have no outdoor space, and little time, it really is easy.

Agree about the frozen veggies, but also do things like seeing what's on offer, making big batches to freeze (things like shepherds' pie, fish pie etc - added portion control as only defrost one at once) when things are on special.

Bear in mind that if you make your own packed lunch you will potentially be saving up to £5 a day - and eating healthier, tastier food.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Based on the "Uni" part of the question I am thinking UK based student- thus try your local farmers' market- right now fruits and veg are plentiful and relatively inexpensive - and a farmers' market is nearly always less expensive than a local grocery store for these (basic) items unless the shop is running a special

this link has links to the best UK farmers' markets (with a listing of more than 500 markets, surely something not too, too far away) !

good luck!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/system/topicRoot/Farmers_Markets/
  • psychofied
    psychofied Posts: 138
    Options
    @craftylatvian: I'm not really familiar w/ cous cous so I don't know about that. But I'll try cucumber and tomatoes!

thanks for the help!