Options
Can anyone tell me please how much sugar daily can we have in grams

thanks.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2017
    Options
    There isnt a limit outside of a recommendation of limited added sugars.

Personally, i dont track sugar since i largely eat fruits and whole foods and sugar isnt bad if its not taking away from other nutrients.

If anything i would monitor calories first, followed by protein. If you hit those fats and carbs will play out.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Personally, i dont track sugar since i largely eat fruits and whole foods and sugar isnt bad if its not taking away from other nutrients.

If anything i would monitor calories first, followed by protein. If you hit those fats and carbs will play out.

Add fibre to the mix and I'm mostly in agreement. I qualify my agreement still because theoretically you could do something strange like eat big quantities of psyllium fibre and sugar as your carbs and meet the goals while still not having a nutritious or satisfying diet, but really, who would?

• psuLemon
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Add fibre to the mix and I'm mostly in agreement. I qualify my agreement still because theoretically you could do something strange like eat big quantities of psyllium fibre and sugar as your carbs and meet the goals while still not having a nutritious or satisfying diet, but really, who would?

Of course people should eat based on satiation levels. And doing something that silly would be in a normal esting pattern so i wouldnt consider it.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    To add, in a typical person who starts dieting, the majority of sugar is coming from fruits, veggies, dairy, grains and potentionally some treats. So unless you have a medical condition or have a propensity to not get enough protein, then i wouldnt stress it. There are many other more important factors that need to be addressed first.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon We're in agreement.

Btw, the recommendation from WHO for a "normal weight" person is 25g a day (6 teaspoons) for added sugar, no restriction on the sugar in fruit. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/
  • prettyoungsis
    prettyoungsis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you considered stevia?
  • traceyroy54
    traceyroy54 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Btw, the recommendation from WHO for a "normal weight" person is 25g a day (6 teaspoons) for added sugar, no restriction on the sugar in fruit. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

Ok add sugar, how about daily amount? .
  • psuLemon
    Options

Ok add sugar, how about daily amount? .

The WHO recommends 25g per day (but this is also a means to restrict calories). But again, if you overall diet is solid, I wouldn't track it because sugar doesn't make you fat... calories do.