too late to eat?

Options
o.k...here's my problem...I work usually 8:00pm to 4:30 am, and today is my day off, it's 1am and i'm starving. 1:00 am is my usual snack time when i'm working, because it's at least 4 hrs before bed, but what about now?? i'm going to bed soon, i still have over 400 cals left, but i'm afraid to eat and go to bed. any suggestions? (shift work sucks!!):sad:

my usual meal schedule is:
1:00pm..breakfast
3:00 snack
5:00 lunch
8:00 supper
12 or 1:00 snack

Replies

• karilynn
    Options
    o.k...here's my problem...I work usually 8:00pm to 4:30 am, and today is my day off, it's 1am and i'm starving. 1:00 am is my usual snack time when i'm working, because it's at least 4 hrs before bed, but what about now?? i'm going to bed soon, i still have over 400 cals left, but i'm afraid to eat and go to bed. any suggestions? (shift work sucks!!):sad:

my usual meal schedule is:
    1:00pm..breakfast
    3:00 snack
    5:00 lunch
    8:00 supper
    12 or 1:00 snack
  • bookworm
    Options
    I'm no expert, but the generic nutrition and fitness guidelines relating to schedules (i.e. "don't eat after 7 PM"), don't really apply to you. Your body clock has adjusted to your unique schedule. What are you expected to do...get up while you're sleeping during the day to eat just because that advice is designed for people with dayshifts?

More importantly: if you feel very hungry, EAT. Always. Something healthy, but don't let yourself get to that point. It's dangerous.
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Personally I almost always have a small snack before bed. I used to work overnights too, and no matter what time day or night, I would have a snack within an hour before bed.
    I have recently read and heard that it doesn't really affect your weight if you eat before bed, as long as you are staying within your calorie range. I have also read that if you do eat late, close to your bedtime that your snack should be more protein rich rather than high sugar or carb, and that it should stay under 350 calories. I'm no expert, just going by what I've read in health magazines and have heard from personal trainers. But when I have some calories lef t at the end of the day, I don't hesitate to eat them. :wink:
  • throughHisstrength
    Options
    I agree with them I mean after all a calorie is a calorie at midnight or six am right. However I would stay away from sweets just because you wont be active enough to burn them off. Enjoy your snack and the rest of your day off.:wink:
  • tiretread
    Options
    Shift work does suck. A snack isn't going to kill you. Your body is expecting a snack at that time so it's not a big deal so long as you aren't snacking on a whole pizza:happy:
  • jennygabe
    Options
    I have worked the night shift for over 10years and I was never able to get a set schedule for eating. I am now trying to eat only when I am hungry. I know that my weight has to do with what I chose to eat and not necessarily the time that I chose to eat it. If you are within your calorie and carb goal for the day, go for it. I like the tip about keeping it under 350calories.:wink: