Protein shake

Options
tetra85
tetra85 Posts: 17 Member
Hi.

I've just startet using proteinshake after my trainingsessions.
One serving of 90 gr contains 344 cal - 12 g carb - 2 g fat - 68 g protein.

After a while after training and taking the shake i get a bit of headheach. Is this normal...?

Replies

• robjennings
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight it won't happen with that shake. Too many carbs and calories. You should think about Isopure Zero Carb protein shakes. 200 calories with 50g of protein and no sugar or carbs. Unless you are a serious weightlifter with high metabolism then stay away from sugary high calorie drinks.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    What's in your shake? I found some of the whey protein shakes made me feel lousy. (There was only one I found that I liked was ProStar whey from GNC). Soy protein even worse, due I think to my thyroid issues. Soy is awful for people with thyroid.

I switched to Manitoba Harvest Pro 70 Hemp Protein, and really rave about it. There's a bit of a taste adjustment, but it's good, and all natural, which I like.
  • bghall67
    bghall67 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    it hard to say if the shake or something else, try going few days without the shake and see if you still get the headache or not.
    food and drinks effect so many people different ways, for me protein shake cause me to gain weight so I don't drink them.
    hope you find out what causing your headaches if they get worse I go to a dr.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I second the comment about finding a protein shake with low / no carbs or sugar. I like Syntrax Nectar brand, myself. A drink with too many carbs will send my blood sugar/metabolism on a high and then a crash, and a headache can come with the crash.

My other suggestion is, are you staying hydrated enough? I often get a headache if I am dehydrated, and sometimes a long workout will dehydrate me more than I realize. I really have to consciously think about drinking enough water.

Hope you get it figured out. Good luck!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight it won't happen with that shake. Too many carbs and calories. You should think about Isopure Zero Carb protein shakes. 200 calories with 50g of protein and no sugar or carbs. Unless you are a serious weightlifter with high metabolism then stay away from sugary high calorie drinks.

Falllse. If it fits in their macros, it won't prohibit them. And weight lifter or not sugary drinks aren't beneficial to anyone.
  • JennLifts
    Options
    Hi.

After a while after training and taking the shake i get a bit of headheach. Is this normal...?

Some people don't handle whey well, but it's usually a stomach issue. Are you chucking it? How soon before are you drinking it? Some can't drink it right before working out, and even if you can, i wouldn't suggest it, usually you want to give your body a little time.. but some people like to drink them during, so to each their own. But you can try a different one if it gives you problems.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Hi.

Try having half the shake, 68gs of protein in 1 serving is not necessary at all, that is some peoples entire daily protein intake.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with the above, that's alot for 1 shake! Personally, I like Jay Robb the best, tropical dreamsicle is my fav. My nutritionist told me to shoot for around 20-30g of protein at a time since I probably wouldn't absorb much more than that. I hope that helps :)
  • JennLifts
    Options
    I would have to agree with the above, that's alot for 1 shake! Personally, I like Jay Robb the best, tropical dreamsicle is my fav. My nutritionist told me to shoot for around 20-30g of protein at a time since I probably wouldn't absorb much more than that. I hope that helps :)

my fave too, but too expensive!
  • tetra85
    tetra85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all answers.

I'm not using this shake to lose weight. I'm already eating kalories for 2p a week weight los.
    But ive read that the best time for getting proteins/karbs for the body is right after training, and no more than one hour after training.

The box says that amount for one serving, but maby it's to sell more. :-D I will try to use half a serving.