Brazilian jiu jitzu and other martial arts

Options
zzsutphin91
zzsutphin91 Posts: 42 Member
Figured a martial arts thread would be cool to get a group going for anyone who practices the different arts or interested in them

Replies

• Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Off topic a bit, but have you watched the Ameridojo videos? Sooooo funny.
  • zzsutphin91
    Options
    Yes lol crack me up
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Options
    So what I've studied, Korean karate and American freestyle kickboxing. I also wrestled for a long long time. I wish bjj and MMA were available when I was in my competition days.
  • zzsutphin91
    Options
    Freestyle kickboxing nice I'm a big fan of Muay Thai trying to decide if I want to get into it or bjj I got level 2 combatives cert from the military but want to expand upon it
  • zzsutphin91
    Options
    I've rolled with some real good wrestlers made me wish I had wrestled instead of football
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Options
    May Tai is a bad *kitten* combative sport, no doubt. The issue with it in my book is longevity. Very rough on the body.
  • zzsutphin91
    Options
    How was the progression with your leg flexibility/upward reach when kickboxing
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Options
    I was stupid flexible back then, now not so much
  • zzsutphin91
    Options
    I prefer take downs and ground and pound game but want that strong stand game that's what interests me with kickboxing
  • kwph
    kwph Posts: 7,375 Member
    Options
    Did Bjj years ago 4 a second...Loved it!!!! Stopped cuz I started my job & couldn't afford 2 get hurt ...Been wanting 2 get back into it now ...Still can't afford 2 get hurt but I miss it ....It's a humbling experience...The most down 2 earth group of people that can whip ur *kitten* ....
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Options
    Round house is a powerful weapon to the legs and the ribs and the head. Front kicks are a waste for the head but can be devastating to the solar plexus. Hook kicks are a great surprise tool but limited like a spinning back fist. Having a few good kicks is great to extend your range and push back an aggressive opponent. Trade off is kicks can be caught and leave you in a world of trouble.
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to train in Muay thai/kick boxing. I have a friend who's a fighter and every time he posts a training it makes me wanna give it a shot.
  • zzsutphin91
    Options
    Range extension is an important aspect to me since I'm only 5'8 and yeah getting caught you better have some good take down defense
  • zzsutphin91
    Options
    @Cerealsensei yeah Muay Thai is what got me into mma in general I remember watching videos when I was younger of them fighting in Thailand and then eventually found pride fighting and etc
  • druidkat7
    druidkat7 Posts: 691 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Can a gal join in this or is this an all-guys' deal? ;)

I started Tae Kwon Do (WTF style--as in the moves they do in the Olympics) back in January of last year, and getting ready to test up for orange belt in March--if this respiratory infection I've got right now doesn't completely slow me down first. :p I started it for fitness' sake thanks to my chiropractor and his office assistant's recommendation: they're the teachers, and they are AWESOME! But I also joined because I'm finally realizing my little-kid-self's dream of taking martial arts, and I am having a blast!

I've also read about Krav Maga, which I hear burns some serious calories as well, to say nothing of it sounding just as fun as TKD. I'm hoping to lose a bit more weight before trying KM, just because it *is* intense, and I feel like I want to be more fit before trying it, just because I *am* in my late thirties and recovery time could be slower than if I'd found out about it in my 20s. I could be wrong about my way of thinking, but in the end, I go with my gut, and it never steers me wrong.
  • zzsutphin91
    Options
    Hey druidkat yeah thanks for joining the conversation everyone's welcome and good luck Testing for your next belt!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I do Krav Maga when I'm not traveling. Hoping to get back to it in a couple weeks. Love the confidence it gives me especially since I often travel alone, love sparring, like the workout. Ah, the endorphins.

I prefer sparring the small to medium sized men the most. I have to pull too much with the women (generally), and the largest men just have too much on me.

I try to practice the techniques on people of all sizes. The first time I did a proper single leg takedown (whole body off the ground) on my 6'7, 280+lb friend, I actually shouted and did a little dance :) (then gave him a hand up and a high five)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Started Shorin-Ryu when stationed in Okinawa back in 1974. Eventually got my 1st Degree Black Belt. Then, after returning to US bounced from school to school. Jiu Jitsu, Aikido, Judo and Shotokan. Did get my Black Belt in Judo. Kept searching for the right discipline until I met the right Teacher. TKD. Stayed there for over a decade and eventually opened my own school. That was late 80's. Moved in 1987 and started all over. 62 now. Haven't competed since 1987. I learned something during my search. It's not the Art; it's the Instructor that can change you life.

Good Luck.
  • zzsutphin91
    Options
    Haha hell yeah my buddy did jiu jitzu and he went to a Krav Maga class the instructor was ex IDF and my buddy said the class was intense and was very impressed with the instructor
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I like the philosophy of Aikido (shin shin toitsu) or Ki Aikido. I practiced for a year before changing jobs and the dojo moved to a more distant location. Strictly a defensive art. Sensei offered that an aikido competition would consist of two opponents standing in front of each other then walking away both winners. No punching, no kicking just ending a conflict as quickly and efficiently as possible. ONLY engaging an opponent when there is no other choice and only when attacked. Steven Segal practices(ed) Aikikai Aikido... where there is some room for strikes. BUT Ki Aikido when practiced faithfully borders on mysticism. and within the scope of ki Aikido weapons training goes hand in hand ( Bo, sword and knife). Not as "macho as Krav maga, or MMA, Jui Jitsu et AL. BUT to achieve first Dan (1st degree black belt) takes an average of 8 years. and you would be guaranteed to be able to finish anything someone else has started without so much as a scratch.