What I thought of hellofresh (or other delivery meals)

2»

Replies

• nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    We did Home Chef! The first delivery took more than 5 days. Yup threw that away, they wouldn't refund but reshipped.. Everything was so good.. I mean really good.. But, I don't like working 10 hr days and coming home to cooking like that.. Everything seemed to use a lot of butter (holy crap, my stove top)... Not only cooking but a lot of clean up... I was spending too much time in the kitchen.. We also tried Freshly, precooked meals,, YAK.. horrible..
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    its a matter of balancing priorities - I tried homechef for a month or so and liked it - but the time to prepare the food was too long on a night when I might not get home from work/the gym until 7:30pm - but I liked the range of food that was available. Cost wise, it was no different that me going to the store and buying all the stuff needed - and I didn't end up with stuff that went off because I had to buy a whole bunch of something where I only needed a small portion

there was a cost comparison done on one of the news networks and in the end when broken down by the components of the meal - these services were cheaper in the long run, but not by much (approx. $5)
  • greeder1
    greeder1 Posts: 13 Member
    edited February 2017
    I have tried Hello Fresh, Sunbasket, Blue Apron and Home Chef. I liked Home Chef the most, by far. They have the most options and flexibility, the least packaging, the best tasting meals and the best customer service. The few times I didn't like a meal, I called and told them (or emailed) and they gave me a credit for it for the next order. Also the recipes really do take the time they say, my main problem with Blue Apron was their 30 minute meals were consistently taking me an hour. Meals are 9.95 per serving, and they offer a fruit basket or smoothie option for 4.95 per serving. The fruit has been great but I didn't care for the smoothies. Some of them were high in calories or tasted weird.

I have some $50 credits if anyone wants to try it.

https://www.homechef.com/invite/xwV89UwQ4rdZ
  • ericarfloyd
    ericarfloyd Posts: 93 Member
    I love my HelloFresh boxes - 3 days a week! Been doing that for over a year now! Be flexible, if the recipe is high in calorie, have half for dinner and half for lunch the next day! I recently signed up for Home Chef and use at least one of those meal for two lunches (3 lunches if is high in calories). I always try to keep lunch light anyway so there's at least 700 calories left for dinner. I hate grocery shopping and planning meals for the week so that is why I love them both! Now all I have to plan is Sunday dinner and still struggle with what to have every week!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    I did GreenBlender for a week. It's a smoothie delivery box. It's expensive ($50 for a week of 5 smoothie recipes with two servings per smoothie) but I tried smoothie combinations that I never would have thought of. And they were delicious. It has given me the confidence to make a wider variety of smoothies at home once my week was up. My husband and I have decided to use GreenBlender occasionally, but can't quite justify them as a weekly expense.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    suzan06 wrote: »
    I looked into it, but as someone who knows how to cook, I decided it was ridiculously expensive. I'll go out to eat for that price!

But I could totally see it being good for someone who is struggling to learn how to cook, or a new college grad moving into their first apartment, etc.

Lol a new college grad moving into their first apartment couldn't afford it.

With anything of this type, you're paying for convenience. But seriously, who's too busy to get to the supermarket once a week? You can even do your shopping online and have it delivered, you don't even need to go there. I normally do it on a Thursday night on my ipad while I'm watching TV, the supermarket app saves everything I've ordered before, and I'll also check the specials and it takes me about 10 minutes. Plus I'm not buying stuff I don't need like I would if I physically went to the shops.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member

greeder1 wrote: »
    I have tried Hello Fresh, Sunbasket, Blue Apron and Home Chef. I liked Home Chef the most, by far. They have the most options and flexibility, the least packaging, the best tasting meals and the best customer service. The few times I didn't like a meal, I called and told them (or emailed) and they gave me a credit for it for the next order. Also the recipes really do take the time they say, my main problem with Blue Apron was their 30 minute meals were consistently taking me an hour. Meals are 9.95 per serving, and they offer a fruit basket or smoothie option for 4.95 per serving. The fruit has been great but I didn't care for the smoothies. Some of them were high in calories or tasted weird.

I have some $50 credits if anyone wants to try it.

https://www.homechef.com/invite/xwV89UwQ4rdZ
    I just used your code! Decided to give this one a try, can't beat $30 off!