What to set activity level as

Options
ksmommy5
ksmommy5 Posts: 142 Member
I current have mfp set as sedentary. I only go to my bootcamp 3x a week and it's 90% weight training. On those days I get close to my 10k steps but the other 4 days it's barely 3k. I will be starting school. In September but again not much walking. Currently laid off. Was thinking of adding 2x cardio during the week.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    With My Fitness Pal (MFP) - your activity level is related to your job, or student....in your case.

Deliberate exercise gets LOGGED. Then you earn additional calories on days you exercise. MFP expects you to eat back these exercise calories. However, calorie burns are often generous so most people eat back just a percent......say 50-75%.

If you want to include exercise then use a TDEE calculator.....Scooby's is popular: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

With this method you don't log exercise.

Here's another estimate just for steps.........
    http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Less than 4K steps is generally found to be Sedentary for the MFP daily activity level then.

Now - that is of course referring to your NON-exercise part of the day.

You do more, you eat more, you still have same weight loss goal being met.

So that's why on days you workout, you log it, and eat back what is given, especially on logging Weight lifting even though it's got some boot camp to it - the calorie burn isn't high, but it certainly counts.
    Feed your workouts to get max benefit from them - why else do them otherwise, just a waste of time and energy.

If you add the cardio to the week, sounds like you have a tracker - it'll probably add that activity just fine if synced for calorie burn, no need to manually log. Well, unless it's swimming or rowing and the tracker does steps only.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I believe MFP is asking about your job/daily life. Desk job/student is normally sedentary. If you walked all day for your job, that would be more active. Hope that helps
  • ksmommy5
    ksmommy5 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I believe MFP is asking about your job/daily life. Desk job/student is normally sedentary. If you walked all day for your job, that would be more active. Hope that helps

Yes. I was just unsure if someone who went to the gym 5x a week but was a desk worker would be considered sedentary or lightly active. I personally would see a person who worked put 5x a week as an active person.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    ksmommy5 wrote: »

Yes. I was just unsure if someone who went to the gym 5x a week but was a desk worker would be considered sedentary or lightly active. I personally would see a person who worked put 5x a week as an active person.

I workout 5 times a week and have mine set to sedentary since I'm lucky if I break 4k steps before exercising. I just log my exercises (or let my Fitbit track and adjust). This route has worked for me. :)