How do you cope when long term illness keeps you from exercising

Options
4 months today my health collapsed. I went from training 5-6 days a week to nothing. I was an aerialist, weight lifted, did body weight conditioning, handstands and splits training. I thought I would be better by now but alas no. I've had 2 relapses and round after round of medication and I've not been cleared to return to anything except walking. I'm slowly going mad. I hate that my body is softening and I'm losing my muscle definition. For three years exercise and training was a daily part of my life. It helped me shift over three stone. I'm maintaining my loss but I need my exercise routine back. Has anyone been through this and come out the other side sane?

Replies

• kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I was suffering from sciatica from 2014, was bedridden. Couldn't do jack. Despite that, I forced myself to the gym. I use to walk like a penguin lol. Just being in that environment made me happy. Although I'm not 100% cured, now I'm back :=) I know how you feel, but slowly but surely you will be back. If walking is all you can do, then do that. Invest in some good quality resistance bands. Do light work out at home, little as bicep curl standing up etc. Anything is better than nothing. Don't give up.
  • ICameToGetDown
    ICameToGetDown Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Check into yoga. There are forms specific to injury
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If you can walk then walk, and walk, and walk...and if walking is allowed then other low impact activities might be an option, like stretching or yoga or pilates or bellydance or swimming...don't rush recovery, but do what you can do safely and if possible add more workout time to offset the lower intensity.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your illness. Walk as much as you can and continue watching your calories so you can be happy about maintaining. Too many people come here to say: "___ happened to me and I gained ___ lbs."
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I am walking about 11km weekdays and a bit less, maybe 7-8km, at weekends. I have chronic lung probs so they've only ok'd walking for now. I am watching calories but am missing the burn and pump and natural high from exercise. I'll look into some stretch work. Thanks all.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I have no answer for you I just wanted to say that I love your shoulder mount pencil. Great job
    I really hope you get better soon and can return to your workout routine. I'll go crazy if I can't workout for a few days.. Can't imagine not working out for that long time.

Good luck :*
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Shoulder mount and all its variations was my absolute fav trick. I doubt I'd even get my feet of the floor now. And yes, four months is a very long time.