Lap Swimming?

Options
I used to do indoor distance lap swimming--40 pounds and 15 years ago, and before a THR. I used to do a mile in 50 minutes back then. I’m going to try it again in the near future. I’ll be surprised if I can do better than half a mile in an hour right now.

Anybody here do distance lap swimming as a regular part of their exercise regimen?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming for over 20 yrs--3 times a week. I think you'll find it'll all come back to you rather quickly. have fun.
  • JennyHsavage
    JennyHsavage Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I used to be a great swimmer but somehow lost it... I can't do a lap without gasping for air... I can run for 5-8 miles no problem and would cycle for hours on end 30-50 miles but a lap kills me. Has to be breathing technique. Please if u have any tips pass em on x good luck
  • teicu1
    teicu1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find it'll all come back to you rather quickly. have fun.
    Here’s hoping! Just got a new pair of goggles, but I literally haven’t even been into a pool in ~15 years.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    I used to be a great swimmer but somehow lost it... I can't do a lap without gasping for air... I can run for 5-8 miles no problem and would cycle for hours on end 30-50 miles but a lap kills me. Has to be breathing technique. Please if u have any tips pass em on x good luck

If you're having breathing problems stop at the end of every lap and do 10 respirations--breath in, and then exhale under water. This will regulate your breathing rhythm. After a while, you won't need it anymore.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This might be helpful! 0 to 1650!

http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I did a little bit of lap swimming many moons ago (12-13 years ago). My daughter joined the swim team so I am at practice twice a week. I watch the lap swimmers doing it for exercise and I keep thinking I need to try it again...
  • fitqueenbess
    fitqueenbess Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I started swimming regularly a couple of years ago, usually about 1200 meters, 1600 if I have time and no foot cramps. Just today I practiced doing flip turns after studying some youtube videos. It wasn't pretty...
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I started swimming regularly a couple of years ago, usually about 1200 meters, 1600 if I have time and no foot cramps. Just today I practiced doing flip turns after studying some youtube videos. It wasn't pretty...

I remember getting a lot of water up my nose before getting the hang of it!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I swim laps about 1/2mile 2x week. I'd be happy to get it down to 1/2 hour.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I did a little bit of lap swimming many moons ago (12-13 years ago). My daughter joined the swim team so I am at practice twice a week. I watch the lap swimmers doing it for exercise and I keep thinking I need to try it again...

This is originaly why I started--watching my kids doing laps in the pool. It was so beautiful. Also, my husband is a long time swimmer, and so I was the only one out (I only got as far as dog paddling in middle school). I decided 21 yrs ago to take lessons. Now I swim laps, not too bad for an old lady of 62.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I started swimming the end of last year, my first session KILLED me, I couldnt breathe and by the time I was dried and dressed I was aching everywhere, couldnt even lift my arms above my head without wincing lol

second session i was not aching after and my breathing was not as bad...didnt need to take my inhailer.

by my third session I had doubled what i swam in my first session in the same time frame, was out of breath when i got out of the pool but was ok and had no aches, even managed a 45min walk home.

due to me being poorly and the kids taking it in turns Iv not been since Christmas, I really need to get back in to it because I was really enjoying

I posted asking about the aching etc and was told keep at it and it will get better the more I swim, which was true, so my advise is do what you can and you will gradually be able to do more x
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I swim laps in the morning Monday to Friday. Sets me up nicely for the day! :)

Generally try and hit 80 - 2km. Takes around 40mins depending on other people in the lane and their etiquette!
    Once a week try for 3km - but depends if I can get myself up 15mins earlier!
    Only did mile (64) this morning as something is painful around my left shoulder blade. Think posture at work needs changing :s

But love swimming as exercise and have just got a tracker so am trying to up my speeds with some faster sets. Is fun. :)
  • mir1104
    mir1104 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Triathlete here, two swims a week plus one open water in season, around 3.5-3.8km a session.
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    something is painful around my left shoulder blade. Think posture at work needs changing
    That's often because you aren't rotating while doing freestlye. It helps me to swim a few laps with a pullbuoy so I only have to mind my rotation and stroke.
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    mir1104 wrote: »
    Triathlete here, two swims a week plus one open water in season, around 3.5-3.8km a session.
    something is painful around my left shoulder blade. Think posture at work needs changing
    That's often because you aren't rotating while doing freestlye. It helps me to swim a few laps with a pullbuoy so I only have to mind my rotation and stroke.

ah cool - I didn't think you had to rotate, I learnt by being told to keep rotation to a minimum to avoid getting in the way of water as much - will give the rotation a go, have tried before and is just tricky to get the hang of equally both sides!
  • gakmt
    gakmt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I try to do a mile every evening M-F. Do not always get all five in because of the work thing. However, 3 years ago when I started i could swim 12 lengths of the pool. Months later my first mile was an hour and forty minutes. Now I am down to 36-40 minutes for my breaststroke mile.
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Question for you all...how do you estimate calories burned while swimming? I've done Google searches on this, but haven't found anything solid. I have a 1st gen Apple Watch so my tracker is no good to me in the water!
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    http://www.swimmingcalculator.com/swim_calories_calculator.php

I use that - feel that with distance and time and weight it is fairly accurate? as it would be working out the speed you are working at
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Perfect, thanks! I've been wanting to incorporate some swimming into my routine!
  • CantonRC
    CantonRC Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I swim around four times a week. I have been swimming for twenty years. I have been doing more sprints lately and have not been concerned with distance. I feel I get a better workout going against the clock instead of the odometer.
  • teicu1
    teicu1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    http://www.swimmingcalculator.com/swim_calories_calculator.php I use that - feel that with distance and time and weight it is fairly accurate? as it would be working out the speed you are working at
    Thanks for that link. That looks like a good calculator and a helpful record-keeping system.