Counting Calories and Exercising and Still Not Losing Weight

Options
rayeofsun2017
rayeofsun2017 Posts: 18 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Like many others this year I decided that enough was enough and that the weight I had packed on over the past years has to come off. I am 40-50 pounds overweight. I joined Orangetheory Fitness a month ago and began going three times a week and then exercising at the gym in my neighborhood 1-2 days a week. I then decided to start counting calories and did a major diet modification to include better foods. I recently just amped up my workouts and will be doing Orangetheory 5 days a week. Well i've been at this a month and the scale has not budged at all!! Is this normal?
Here are key points:
- Orangetheory 4-5 days a week average burn is 550 cal
- Average daily meal: Half protein bar and banana for breakfast, almonds for a snack, veggies for a snack, protein/salad for lunch, greek yogurt and other half of protein bar for snack and high protein low carb dinner. Averaging between 1200-1400 calories a day.
- Cut out all alcohol and fried foods
- Drink 8 glasses of water/caffeine free tea a day
- 8 hours of sleep a night
- Sedentary at work (desk job) try to take walks around the building when i take certain phone calls
- took measurements a week ago - will remeasure tomorrow

Personal Information:
5'1"
SW 153 pounds
Weight today 154.5
Goal 115** Weighed 100 in my best shape ever (eating whatever i wanted and swimming laps 5 days a week) about 8 years ago, would like to have more muscle and not sure if it's even realistic

I'm just feeling a little lost as it's been a month and the scale hasn't moved and i have a couple events to attend next month and throughout the year. Any thoughts input is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• tanyaderryrussell
    Options
    Hi there - just want to share my experience. I also started OTF a month ago. I adjusted my diet as well to 1400 to 1500 calories per day. The first 2 weeks I didn't lose any weight but noticed a huge difference in the way my clothes fit. I spoke to my trainer and others at OTF and basically you build muscle which offsets your weight loss. It can be frustrating to not see the scale move but don't give up! Now in week 5 I've starting seeing the weight come up. Keep up the great work..
  • rayeofsun2017
    Options
    I just opened my diary @janejellyroll - I am still figuring everything else. As far as selecting from the database, I try to scan everything I have or input the recipes. There are some foods that I am not certain so I generally try to pick the average item calorie wise. I measure my portions by either using cups or weighing it.
  • rayeofsun2017
    Options
    Thank you @tanyaderryrussell I was able to put on a pair of jeans I haven't attempted to wear in forever. They were tight but good when all my clothes were dirty from vacation lol!! That's why I chose to measure! I think that would be a little more accurate!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rkuhl wrote: »
    I just opened my diary @janejellyroll - I am still figuring everything else. As far as selecting from the database, I try to scan everything I have or input the recipes. There are some foods that I am not certain so I generally try to pick the average item calorie wise. I measure my portions by either using cups or weighing it.

Are the days with nothing logged or the days with really low calorie counts (like 500 or under) accurate or are there days when you're eating things that aren't making it in?
  • rayeofsun2017
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will definitely take to weighing everything instead of using measure cups. Generally not logging on weekends is just because I have eaten the same thing but never had time to log it. Like this past weekend we went to Disney, I portioned out all of my food and packed it and never ate anything outside of what I packed so I knew I was within range so I never got down logging it but was confident where I was.

Now that i've changed up what I was eating - I used to eat waffles for breakfast because they were low calorie for two waffles but was always starving within a couple hours. Now that I've changed I eat every two hours but am not necessarily hungry. I know a huge portion of my issue was serving size! @CSARdiver

Thank you for the advice on the cups @StaciMarie1974 I definitely got into the habit of that from the 21 day fix. They give you color coordinated cups for portioning out your food (green for veggies) blue for fruit etc. The days not logged I ate foods that are normal routine and I wouldn't be out of my calorie range. But i know it's a comfort thing. I did it with weight watchers saying I know how many points this is I can do it in my head (but you really can't - at least I can't). So thank you for helping me catch that. As far as weigh ins go I weight every day but only log on tuesdays. I do it right when I wake up after the bathroom and do it naked.

So logging seems to be where I need to strengthen myself! Thank you everyone!
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    For days, like the weekends, where you know you're going to be busy it might help to pre-log. If you took the time to pack all your food for a trip to Disney it really wouldn't take much longer to just go ahead and log all of it before you left the house.

There are some days that I get busy and I don't manage to find time to log until the end of the day and I'm sure that I've stayed within my calorie goal but once I log everything I realize I did end up going over a bit. I tend to look at my calories by the week instead of the day so that if I eat a little under my goal during the week I can eat a little more on the weekends. If I didn't log every single thing I ate every single day my weekly calorie totals would be way off.
  • jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I started Orangetheory Fitness the weekend after Thanksgiving. I have been going 3-4 times a week almost every week since then, but have found that the weight is just starting to come off. The scale is extremely frustrating because I am fitting into clothes that I wore when I was 12 pounds less. Also, I am the same way with my logging. I do skip days and don't log, so I am right there with you! Good luck with your journey!
  • rayeofsun2017
    Options
    That's a good idea @Rachelr116 - i often log most of my food at the end of my work day just because i don't have time. I'm trying to plan my calories by the week now writing out a meal plan for next week now to know my goals.
  • rayeofsun2017
    Options
    Thank you @jessicaferrara! I try not to judge the scale that's why i measured and am trying to go off clothes etc but its hard to not pay attention!
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will definitely take to weighing everything instead of using measure cups. Generally not logging on weekends is just because I have eaten the same thing but never had time to log it. Like this past weekend we went to Disney, I portioned out all of my food and packed it and never ate anything outside of what I packed so I knew I was within range so I never got down logging it but was confident where I was.

Now that i've changed up what I was eating - I used to eat waffles for breakfast because they were low calorie for two waffles but was always starving within a couple hours. Now that I've changed I eat every two hours but am not necessarily hungry. I know a huge portion of my issue was serving size! @CSARdiver

Thank you for the advice on the cups @StaciMarie1974 I definitely got into the habit of that from the 21 day fix. They give you color coordinated cups for portioning out your food (green for veggies) blue for fruit etc. The days not logged I ate foods that are normal routine and I wouldn't be out of my calorie range. But i know it's a comfort thing. I did it with weight watchers saying I know how many points this is I can do it in my head (but you really can't - at least I can't). So thank you for helping me catch that. As far as weigh ins go I weight every day but only log on tuesdays. I do it right when I wake up after the bathroom and do it naked.

So logging seems to be where I need to strengthen myself! Thank you everyone!

Yep, I bet that's the culprit and with a little tweaking you'll be good to go :) Also, one other thing-if you're incorporating new exercise/more intensity in your worksouts that can cause water retention. It's not a big deal and will calm down after you do it for a while, but that could be masking losses as well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Measuring high calorie foods like almonds or salad dressing with a cup vs weighing means that you can be 100 calories off.

Same for some generic things you're using, like the spaghetti squash and meat sauce... it could be anywhere from 100 to 400 calorie a cup depending on what's in the sauce. Did you make the recipe yourself?

I'd just tighten up your logging and give it time (and keep in mind that you're probably not burning off 550 calories in an hour of exercise - I'd eat back 300 max).
  • rayeofsun2017
    Options
    Okay i'll definitely try weighing it @Franci27 as far as the spaghetti squash and meat sauce - i made the recipe myself so I know exactly whats in it. I do wear a heart rate monitor during my workouts so I take the information from that for my calories. There was a point where I was actually wearing two heart rate monitors for accuracy because the one for Orangetheory is on my wrist and I'm used to wearing a chest one, they are probably 98% in sync with each other so now i only wear one.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Prelogging is helpful in many ways. It allows you have a guideline for your day, and to see in advance if there are any holes in your nutrition. Such as if you're a little low on protein, or particularly high somewhere. You can adjust accordingly. You can always go back and edit quantities. Like last night I logged for today. And as I actually have my meals/snacks thru the day, and weigh the items, I can update.

I saw your comment about having a couple of waffles for breakfast and then being hungry soon after. This may be due to lack of macro variety. Try having an egg with them and some fruit. Everyone differs, but personally I find that having protein and fat in a meal or snack keeps me full longer. Having just waffles/bread/fruit/etc. that is pretty much pure carb would not have a lasting effect.

And as others have commented, if you're fitting into smaller clothes you HAVE lost weight. That is a big indicator that water weight is preventing the scale from showing it. Keep going and it should level out.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry and it sounds like you're adapting well, just keep doing what you're doing. Give it time. I would tend to get stuck in a plateau for about 6 weeks and suddenly - whoosh! - losing weight with seemingly no effort.

There are so many variables at play it is difficult if not impossible to identify what is really going on. The important issue is that you don't get discouraged and just stick with it.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I would look more closely at your 550 kcal from exercise. How is this being calculated?

At 153 pounds that would likely take you 75 minutes or more of continuous, strenuous exercise. Is that what you're doing?
  • rayeofsun2017
    Options
    Prelogging is helpful in many ways. It allows you have a guideline for your day, and to see in advance if there are any holes in your nutrition. Such as if you're a little low on protein, or particularly high somewhere. You can adjust accordingly. You can always go back and edit quantities. Like last night I logged for today. And as I actually have my meals/snacks thru the day, and weigh the items, I can update.

I saw your comment about having a couple of waffles for breakfast and then being hungry soon after. This may be due to lack of macro variety. Try having an egg with them and some fruit. Everyone differs, but personally I find that having protein and fat in a meal or snack keeps me full longer. Having just waffles/bread/fruit/etc. that is pretty much pure carb would not have a lasting effect.

And as others have commented, if you're fitting into smaller clothes you HAVE lost weight. That is a big indicator that water weight is preventing the scale from showing it. Keep going and it should level out.

Thank you! I have pre-logged to an extent where I type out my meals for the week Monday-Sunday and write in my breakfast, snacks, lunch etc so I'm never in a black hole because that's where I go down hill. But it's no different if i were to actually log it! Thanks for that!

• rayeofsun2017
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I would look more closely at your 550 kcal from exercise. How is this being calculated?

At 153 pounds that would likely take you 75 minutes or more of continuous, strenuous exercise. Is that what you're doing?

I do an hour of strenuous exercise. It is interval training with a combination of the treadmill, rowing machine and weights. It is determined by a heart rate monitor which ads my height and weight in the equation. I actually wore two different heart rate monitors in the beginning because I was hesitant on the number one around my wrist and one around my chest. The lined up almost perfectly within a beat or two.