sugar control suggestions

Options
i used mfp successfully about 4 years ago to achieve weight loss/fitness goal
i don't recall "sugars" being spec-ed out as a category back then (it was just calories carbs protein and fat) but i am hitting my sugar limit easily every day [60g/day] very easily.

any suggestions to hit the calorie count but not the sugar limit?
high protein low sugar foods for example?
already cut out added sugar to coffee - but even in a nonfat cappuccino (just coffee and foamed nonfat milk) i'm getting about 12g sugar (milk sugar?)
things I'd normally consider reasonably "healthy" like yogurt and luna bars will put me over easy
i know these things do have added sugar but i didn't realize how quick one could hit 60g/day without adopting a high protein/high fat atkins style diet which i am not interested in

FWIW i am currently only exercising about 300-350 cal/day, but in the past i would log 700+ cal/ day from excersize making food goals easier to hit. recovering from a hip injury which prevents me from burning as many calories from exercise, and it only seems to affect cals not sugars

past: 120-122 (borderline underweight, gained 5 pounds per doctor's advice)
dr. approved min weight: 125-127
maintained for 4 years
hip injury: back up to 135-137
goal: loose 6-10 pounds to get to hit 127-129 (i decided i like a little somethin extra than the dr.approved minimum weight of 125 :wink: and am not interested in getting back to the sub 125s)

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor tell you to limit sugar? If not, I wouldn't make it another thing to worry about. Weight loss is about the calories.
  • sangriavandal
    sangriavandal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    back at the time the dr. said my bloodwork was fine for sugar. i'm just nervous because it seems like i am eating a lot of sugar going off what mfp is saying here. i've have "sugar binge" problems for years (outside the day-to-day sugar i am mentioning here) even when i was at a quite low weight, so i've been concerned about added sugar more lately
    so, good point, my next best step is to go dr. for regular checkup since it has been a while since i got that kind of bloodwork done. to see how much or little i need to be concerned about total and added sugar and if my tests are OK i should not worry too much about the mfp sugar limit
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Incorporate more fruits/veggies, proteins (meats/fish), legumes, dairy (greek yogurt/cheese). But overall, i would put more emphasis on calories, protein, fiber and the majority of my foods from whole sources. If you are the type who can't moderate, I would just cut out the foods that is causing you to binge a bit. If you can moderate your sweets/junk food, i would preplan your day to incorporate them. I try to keep 10-15% of my calories to treats.
  • ccems1634
    ccems1634 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I also don't worry about the sugar. I go over them with 2 Cups of coffee (1 teaspoon super each) and my fruit intake not including anything else.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If it bothers you to see it go red every day but you're still in your calorie limits and are enjoying what you eat, you can manually adjust it in goals under "additional nutrient goals"
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    meditation for self control if it bothers you that much
  • sangriavandal
    sangriavandal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i guess i was confused i didn't realize the sugar tracked was not added sugar.
    suppose i should say if i (apparently) I've pretty much been living off a solution of sugar and caffeine in the form of highly sugared coffee for like the last 8 months but now that I'm tracking again the excessive sugar is obvious. i did delete sugar from the food diary cuz it annoys me - i will exceed it every day even without 1 gram of added sugar...
    so does anyone have any suggestions interesting / tasty / fun food options that will keep your macros up and your sugar down? i eat a lot of vegetable/legume-centric dishes and i think i've cooked every possible iteration veg and beans ?? :D:D
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    If your adherence is good I wouldn't worry to much as long as you are eating an overall balanced nutritious diet.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    i guess i was confused i didn't realize the sugar tracked was not added sugar.
    suppose i should say if i (apparently) I've pretty much been living off a solution of sugar and caffeine in the form of highly sugared coffee for like the last 8 months but now that I'm tracking again the excessive sugar is obvious. i did delete sugar from the food diary cuz it annoys me - i will exceed it every day even without 1 gram of added sugar...
    so does anyone have any suggestions interesting / tasty / fun food options that will keep your macros up and your sugar down? i eat a lot of vegetable/legume-centric dishes and i think i've cooked every possible iteration veg and beans ?? :D:D

Bacon. But if that doesn't suffice, I would look to incorporate meats and fish (especially the later). You can eat nuts, Greek Yogurt (has lactase, so it's sugars, but in natural form), cheese (hard cheese don't have carbs or very minimal). I tend to get most of my recipes from www.theproteinchef.co or www.mccormick.com