Awkward, BUT(ha) does anyone else have poo issues and what do you do to alleviate it?

Options
I find myself feeling full and kind of bloaty first thing in the morning, but I'm not getting "relief". Has anyone else experienced this? I picked up some dates to try and help mother nature along. Any other ideas?

Replies

• LittleChipin
    LittleChipin Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and bran cereal really helps. Foods with good fats can help too, like salmon, nuts, avocados etc. But I suffer from constipation a lot and my doctor told me it's ok to take senna which is a natural vegetable laxative in pill form, whenever I need it. It doesn't cause stomach pain and gives you relief in a couple hours. They sell it at the store!
  • ddveedub
    ddveedub Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you LittleChipin! I haven't experienced this much discomfort since I was pregnant many years ago!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Ground flax mixed with oatmeal or yogurt helps me. Also, about 4 oz of white grape juice get things moving in about 8 hours.
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Water, flax, something a little greasy at times, coffee, senna tea (yuck but it works), prunes, dried apricots. Hope this helps!
  • ddveedub
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I really appreciate it!
  • ddveedub
    Options
    @MissDeeDee78 I just noticed your username! We are both dd's. I'm 74 though:-)
  • BCullari
    BCullari Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ddveedub wrote: »
    I find myself feeling full and kind of bloaty first thing in the morning, but I'm not getting "relief". Has anyone else experienced this? I picked up some dates to try and help mother nature along. Any other ideas?
    A bit of castor oil after a high protein meal makes my colon explode quite nicely.... o:)

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I was horribly constipated for weeks. I used to take Miralax on Sunday nights, but was seeing minimal improvement. I looked at ways to add dietary fiber, and that has improved things a LOT for me. I have Fiber One cereal each day, which gets me half of my fiber. Plus, usually an orange, an apple, and one of my starches typically has enough fiber to get me over the threshold. It seems to have restored some regularity, so I am going with it for now.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    My husband has had this problem for many years.A nurse told him about a Chinese tea.Sorry I don't know the brand,but health stores carry it & I think Walmart does.Google for more info.Works for him.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    enough fiber,healthy fats and water does it for me.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I take a magnesium supplement, not for that reason, but that is a side effect. The one I take is Natural Calm.

There is also an herbal tea called Smooth Move by Traditional Medicinals. I wouldn't recommend if yours is a chronic issue, but every now and then should be fine.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Lots of water and bran cereal really helps. Foods with good fats can help too, like salmon, nuts, avocados etc. But I suffer from constipation a lot and my doctor told me it's ok to take senna which is a natural vegetable laxative in pill form, whenever I need it. It doesn't cause stomach pain and gives you relief in a couple hours. They sell it at the store!

I've taken Senokot. It's expensive, but it works without cramping the stomach. It has senna. I'm going to try magnesium citrate supplements though to see how that works. Sometimes, I suffer from constipation due to stomach issues.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I take a magnesium supplement, not for that reason, but that is a side effect. The one I take is Natural Calm.

There is also an herbal tea called Smooth Move by Traditional Medicinals. I wouldn't recommend if yours is a chronic issue, but every now and then should be fine.

I didn't notice this when I posted below. I just ordered a magnesium citrate supplement from Amazon. I'm planning on trying it this weekend.
  • dnavarre651
    dnavarre651 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Drink more water
    It will make your mornings like Happy Hour!
  • hawkmancody
    hawkmancody Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you don't push too hard. I made that mistake when I changed my diet.... let's just say it wasn't good and yes I regret pushing so hard every time I release yesterday's food :neutral:
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a date with every meal. (I usually have at least one a day.)

This will seriously help you. Promise.
  • sweetsbst
    sweetsbst Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use Benefiber clear powder in my coffee and take probiotics daily. No issues. Just be sure you start slow on the fiber to allow your gut to adjust to it, then increase as tolerated. Water, water, water
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    High fiber, soft, water rich foods tend to get things moving for me. A couple days of veggie soup, cucumbers, watermelon and bananas work for me.
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Pre-workout usually makes me blow the back out of my toilet