Grain free, but no weight loss

Options
I decided to go grain free about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Main goal is to decrease inflammation (mainly knee pain). I did hard core paleo about 2 years ago for 8 weeks and it was so hard. I did lose about 6 pounds, but gained it back shortly after stopping.
I'm still trying to see if my knee pain is going away, however I was hoping to lose a few pounds in the process. 2 1/2 weeks down and 0 weight loss. :( (My main goal is about 20-25 pound loss)
I mainly eat meat, veggies, nuts. I have some fruit and do allow myself dark chocolate covered almonds and sometimes some potatos/potato chips. I'm not big into paleo "baked goods".

Typical menu:
1. Breakfast- I may fast through this if I am not hungry. Otherwise it is either homemade sausages with some real maple syrup, or sometimes a cashew lara bar (although that is usually only for a late breakfast if I can't make it till lunch). I used to do protein shakes, but have almost completely stopped. I have been adding in some green tea with honey lemon and apple cider vinegar too.
2. Morning snack- only if I need it is usually nuts (almonds, cashews or pistachios). Sometimes beef jerkey.
3. Lunch- Salad of greens, carrots, peppers, chicken breast, red onion and some raisins with olive oil and vinegar.
If very hungry then add in some left-over meat from previous dinner
4. Afternoon snack- again if needed. Mostly nuts or larabar
5. Late snack- this tends to happen if I did not eat afternoon snack and dinner is a while away. This is where I might eat chocolate covered almonds or potato chips.
6. Dinner- Meat and veggies. Very rarely maybe some potato
7. Dessert- not often but sometimes allow myself some ice cream. Or again the dark chocolate almonds or potato chips. Maybe apple and peanut butter

Now I know that I am not eating "perfect". And honestly I'm ok with that as after a true all out paleo, I know I cannot maintain that. So I'm trying grain free but with some allowences.

Anyone else go grain free with no weight loss? All day volleyball this coming Saturday will determine if inflammation has gone down...

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Are you actually eating at a deficit?

I peeked at your diary (sorry). You're not consistent with logging food and not weighing things. Be consistent with logging every day. I'm not going to harp about weighing foods to the gram, but if you're not losing weight (and you want to), you're probably eating at maintenance.
  • cuadrado12
    cuadrado12 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What are the times that you eat your meals and snacks? I agree with PP that going grain-free does not correlate to weight loss or even eating healthier.

As a side note that has nothing to do with your diet- I struggled with knee pain for a long time and had no success with a cortisone injection or physical therapy. I even had a knee scope and the doctor found nothing wrong. I ended up having a lot of success with dry needling. I had 7 sessions and it made a world of difference for me!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Cutting all grains out of your diet will do nothing for weight loss if you're not eating at a deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You need to be in a deficiency of energy to lose weight whether you eat grains or not. Going grain free does not default to weight loss.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • cmbx2mom
    cmbx2mom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I guess everyone here is still under the basic belief of calories in calories out?
    http://healthyenough.net/calorie-counting/
  • cuadrado12
    cuadrado12 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have several thoughts but can't give solid advice without know what times you're eating (in related to lunch, snacks, dinner and dessert).

But for breakfast, I'd look carefully at the portion size of your sausages and maple syrup. Sometimes that can quickly add up, especially with the syrup if you have a heavy pour. If it's excessive, you could consider decreasing your portion size and adding a fruit or vegetable in there in its place. I briefly looked up the nutrition label to a Larabar. I'm not crazy about the amount of protein/fiber if you're eating it for breakfast. I'd try to find something with more fiber and/or protein. Have you ever tried an RX bar? You might feel a little more satisfied with that.

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    cmbx2mom wrote: »

ETA: The above is a paid site.....I don't need to say more
    I guess everyone here is still under the basic belief of calories in calories out?

ETA: the above comes from a professional blogger. This particular blog ran from 9/13-5/14. This doesn't even classify as a bad source.

I am pretty sure that no one here will be able to help you. We typically believe papers published by institutions whose website addresses end in .edu instead of .net or .com. We also typically trust people with Phd.'s in the actual science that they are writing on. So, if you want to change our thinking, drop some peer reviewed studies on us. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

And yet you're the one starting a thread about you not losing weight...Hmm

Nobody has said that nutrition isn't important and that what you eat isn't important...but the bottom line is that you have to be in a deficiency of energy. I eat a diet that consists mostly of whole foods...I put on about 10 Lbs over the winter as I usually do when my training declines and then it falls off in the Spring...I gained that weight eating primarily whole foods...I gained that weight because I was in a calorie surplus due to a reduction of activity. This is all pretty damned simple.

I also lost 40 Lbs really easily...while eating grains...I eat whole oats almost every morning.
  • Middangeard
    Middangeard Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Did you ever go to see a doctor about your knee pain? This is something that a diet might not be able to help. Losing weight might help relieve the stress put on your knees by an overweight body, but if it's something serious, you'll need to talk to your doctor about it. Despite the claims of the originators, the paleo diet is NOT a miracle cure-all. Grains are not the enemy -- in the case of most of humanity, our bodies have sufficiently adapted to be able to process many things that we might not have been able to process thousands of years ago. It's a fun diet to be able to eat as much meat as you want, but it's not really the most scientifically sound diet (nor historically accurate).

Yes, I tried to do that diet years ago. It's VERY impractical and (much like all non-coeliac gluten-free diets) the only reason I was doing so well was because I was being extra careful about what I ate and keeping under the calorie goal.