Senior & overweight

Options
Any other overweight seniors on here? With Arthritis... Working on it, but slow.

Replies

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.
  • Quilting70
    Quilting70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was beginning to think I was the only senior around. I am that over weight senior with arthritis. Just signed up this evening. Was on here about 3 years ago. Doing the starting over.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I'm 62, started last june & lost 36 lbs so far
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Plenty 69 still got done weight to lose although have lost a lot already. Not arthritis but other health conditions, if you give mutual super then feel free to add. Good luck
  • Harby3733
    Harby3733 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    HI - I don't know that I qualify as a senior at 53 but I am definitely finding it so much harder to shift weight these days. I'm inspired by you all! I'm trying to stick to 1200 kjs. I'm in a sedentary job - anyone found that walking helps? How much? I have mild hip arthritis. Keen to hear any thoughts/tips.
  • fallhiker
    fallhiker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi! Brand new today. Honestly....eating a,12. Inch sub as I write this! :) I AM honest! I am about 80 pounds overweight. Hubby is obese as well. We are nurses and know better! I am turning 60 next month..feel 40 inside! Have been sedentary and weve loved food. He says he's ready to change. Soooo...hoping to find some older females friends to share this journey with. It's now or never! Oh...I will change the large subs to salads! ;)
  • teeseeytopcat
    teeseeytopcat Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm also a senior [62]. I lost about 25 pounds last year, gained a bit back but am on track now. I have significant back issues which has reduced my activity level but am now seeing an excellent physiotherapist to get some relief & stretching exercises. MFP is an excellent tool.
  • Pbirmingham59
    Pbirmingham59 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Senior I guess! at 57. Started tracking again through MyFitnessPal in past few months. Lost 9 in 3 months. Arthritis issues. Pounds just don't come off the way they used to. Need to lose another 60. Very, very very slow coming off.Like I have no metabolism at all. Riding bike 1 hour per day for past 2 months. Interesting recipes or quick snacks that others find useful would be appreciated.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,678 Member
    Options
    I'm a formerly obese senior, I guess - now 61, lost 60+ pounds in 2015-16, now just getting started on my 2nd year of maintaining lower weight. Arthritis and other such stuff can add some challenges to figuring out forms of activity that work best, I know. But eating better is the key factor - I didn't change my activity level significantly to lose weight. Activity's more for fitness and overall health - helpful, perhaps, for weight loss, but not IMO essential.
  • jacobsl221
    jacobsl221 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm 67 1/2 and am finding this round of weight loss much much harder than the ones in the past. I currently am averaging 850 calories a day and still only losing a pound a week.
  • CharGillott
    CharGillott Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would like to have senior friends
  • gailvanv
    gailvanv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    grannytogo wrote: »
    I was beginning to think I was the only senior around. I am that over weight senior with arthritis. Just signed up this evening. Was on here about 3 years ago. Doing the starting over.

Never too late for lifestyle change. Start daily record of all you eat, with focus on whatever you are limiting, fat grams, carbs,or calories. I try to stay within 33 fat gms as determined by ht & wt
    Good luck, accept slow progress, but persist.
  • mothernomore
    mothernomore Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 67 and living in the UK. Slim all my life until I hit the menopause then the struggle began ! Am taking Levothyroxine for an under active thyroid so don't know how that affects my weight loss to be honest . Husband and I eat out a lot and we love food ( and wine !) . He is only a little overweight but my BMI is now 28.8 and creeping towards obese figures. I recently did low carb ( sort of ) for a couple of weeks and found I was losing about 2 lbs a week .....then we went on holiday !!! I am 12 stones in weight as of this morning and want to be 9 . Can't believe I have let all this weight creep on. Yesterday I met some women who were in their 70s ( gym bunnies !) and they looked amazing . I felt dumpy and frumpy in comparison. I HAVE to do something about myself right now. All support would be welcome .
  • WildAngelJoy
    WildAngelJoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Count me in! Back for a second time, I lost 20 lbs. in 2012 on MFP but gained it back plus more due to a medication. Also have health issues but have managed to lose 21 lbs. so far!! Feel free to add me and I have a lot of fun, helpful friends on here but we never can have too many :)