Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Breakfast...most important meal of the day, or not so much?

Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I do 16:8 IF and my eating window is from 11am -7pm. This works well with mu schedule and also helps me with calorie adherence.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Definitely not.

I skip it regularly to perseve my evening calories- as I am FAR hungrier at night than the morning- so dinner food trumps breakfast food.

I just delay eating till about 10:30- 12 and then have my last meal around 10:30 at night. Seems to work really well for me.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    listen to your body if you are not hungry till later eat later
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If u workout u should eat breakfast Now what u eat also impacts on what u are doing too I shot for more protein medium carbs like 30 to 40 grams protein like 60 to 80 grams of carbs may be a little more-
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I usually have coffee and a yogurt in the morning (if I'm hungry) because I tend to eat a later lunch. It works for me, but today, I didn't have anything but coffee and was fine at lunchtime. I guess it's all personal preference :)
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    ejsilvi wrote: »
    If u workout u should eat breakfast Now what u eat also impacts on what u are doing too I shot for more protein medium carbs like 30 to 40 grams protein like 60 to 80 grams of carbs may be a little more-

I run anything less than 8 miles fasted in the morning, unless it's a race. No one solution works for everyone.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have to do all my cardio fasted in the mornings. Even if I give myself 2 hours to digest breakfast (would mean waking up at 4:30 am, ugh) I still get that pain in my side. I always eat something afterwards though, usually around 300 calories otherwise I get lightheaded. I'm sure if I didn't exercise before it I wouldn't need breakfast, but I do enjoy it.
  • ejsilvi
    Options
    ejsilvi wrote: »

I run anything less than 8 miles fasted in the morning, unless it's a race. No one solution works for everyone.

• ejsilvi
    Options
    No one said what I am doing is right I weight lift so I eat - u run - u want to run on nothing n that works for u that's great good luck
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Well I like it myself but to each their own.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I think it's very important for children. That's been studied extensively, and has a profound effect on their concentration, attitude, and performance. It's also very important for people who become hypoglycemic.

I'm like a big kid. If I don't get my breakfast my concentration, attitude and performance are pretty terrible. :s I also don't do well if I don't get recess and naps, too. <-- I'm actually not kidding. >:)
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Strangely, I feel like I eat more calories a day when I try to eat breakfast early in the morning- I don't know, it is weird but my body was used to eating the majority of my calories at lunch/dinner and adding breakfast overall seemed to make no difference in my hunger at night. Could be just my bad habits, but I was struggling to reduce my consumption at night to accommodate breakfast. So I decided it is just not worth it for me. My husband, however, is a hangry beast without food within 30 minutes of getting up lol.

I do drink coffee in the morning though- skinny vanilla latte from Starbucks or homemade coffee with creamer (100-150 calories). It is usually enough to last me to lunch time (11:30ish). I workout in the morning 3-4 days a week but it is cardio/bodyweight and usually, it just means on those days I eat at 11:30 rather than noon.
  • fundamentallyfitfl
    fundamentallyfitfl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast does not speed up weight loss. Eating less calories than your body is burning is how you do it. That being said, the best time to eat is after your workout. you have a 90 minute window after your workout where your body will be putting the nutrients exactly where they need to be. I'm not a nutritionist but I am a certified trainer and that info is straight my textbook. I personally love eggs so i eat breakfast everyday! Hope this helps!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast does not speed up weight loss. Eating less calories than your body is burning is how you do it. That being said, the best time to eat is after your workout. you have a 90 minute window after your workout where your body will be putting the nutrients exactly where they need to be. I'm not a nutritionist but I am a certified trainer and that info is straight my textbook. I personally love eggs so i eat breakfast everyday! Hope this helps!

This also is not true for 99% of the population.

Eat when you're hungry, people, unless you are elite level athletes training for a specific reason.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I used to think that and force myself to "get that metabolism going" by eating something I wasn't in the slightest bit hungry for. The result? I was ravenous the rest of the day. I don't mind skipping breakfast because I seem to be less hungry the rest of the day when I do, and that's going to help me get to my goal a lot more easily than battling the "when can I eat next" demon all day. Breakfast is great it you want it, it also isn't if you don't. It's certainly not the most important meal of the day lol
  • cdkelly
    cdkelly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    For ME, yes it is. I can't really function or do much until I've had breakfast. I don't really think that's debatable though because everyone is different. I know some people aren't hungry in the morning. If you listen to your body and eat when you're hungry...then it doesn't matter what anyone else says.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Occasionally I'll have breakfast but most of the time I'll skip it and sometimes even lunch. I find that if I don't have a big breakfast or just skip it, it's easier for me to lose weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's "optimal" but it really does nothing to improve weight loss or significantly improve any vital markers in the body.
    It MAY for an elite athlete, but general public, not so much.
    And you can eat eggs anytime, not just breakfast.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png