What do you eat for breakfast and lunch?

Options
I'm looking for suggestions on what I should be eating for breakfast, that will help give me a boost of energy when I go to the gym. I usually have eggs and toast for breakfast, relax for an hour and then go to the gym. It has been working for the most part, but I wanted to see if there was anything better, or things I should be aiming to eat before going to the gym that may be more beneficial to me. I usually do a 30 minute workout with cardio, and then some strength training on the machines at my gym, and then rest for awhile and make lunch. I usually eat a salad with chicken in it, and dressing, (only 2 oz of it). Any suggestions, to give me some variety or to help make the process better would be grateful. Thanks. :)

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I typically skip breakfast but today I had lunch with my grandson so we had breakfast for lunch. Green eggs and ham, his favorite (an omelet with collard greens and ham :) )
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I like to split my breakfast and lunch into three smaller meals. I usually work out before or after lunch. None of the meals are too heavy and all contain carbs, fats, and protein, which fuels my cardio-heavy workouts well.

9am B-fast: Eggs & whole grain toast, or oats w/ milk, fruit, & nuts
    10:30 Snack: Plain full-fat yogurt & fruit, or apple and PB
    1:30 Lunch: Whole wheat pita with turkey, guacamole, lettuce; or leftovers

That'll hold me pretty well until dinner at 6:30.
  • JHamilton6
    JHamilton6 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I make a shake with

1/2 of a cup of milk
    1/2 of a cup of water
    1/4 of a cup each of frozen blueberries and strawberries
    1/2 of a bannana
    A big handful of greens (spinach, kale, etc.)
    a scoop of protein powder

Then puree it in a blender. Quick, easy, tasty and little cleanup.

Lunch is usually the leftovers of whatever was for dinner last night. Just make extra.
  • ccems1634
    ccems1634 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Breakfast I do oatmeal or banana
    Lunch varies between salad, veggies and fruit with boiled egg; half a sandwich, veggies, egg, and fruit or meat, rice/potatoes and veggie.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Breakfast right now is Greek yogurt (I like Yoplait Greek 100 and Tillamook Farmstyle Greek) mixed with Fiber One cereal. I'll have a clementine or orange, also. It's quite filling with high protein and fiber. For a few months, I was eating boiled eggs and some crispbread crackers, but after a while, it wasn't filling enough, so I changed it up a bit.

I have tried MANY Greek yogurts and hate almost all of them, so it was a relief to find two that I really enjoy!
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love 2 slices of sprouted grain toast with 1T of peanut butter on each, then I slice up a banana and put the slices on top, finished with 1/4 tsp of chia seeds and 1/2 tsp of hemp seeds on each slice.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    Lunch: I prep a bunch of chicken tenders on Sunday for the week with a variety of seasonings (garlic, lemon, etc.). I eat 4oz of chicken with about 100g of fruit, 100g of vegetable, and a mini-bagel with 1/3 fat cream cheese on it.

I love having the fruit be watermelon, but it's not always in season. My veggie is any fresh veggie, but usually celery or carrots because they are cheap and easy to prep. Other times it's bell peppers or English cucumbers or snap peas. When I can't have watermelon, I'll have grapes.

For PM snack I have about 165g of apple with a serving of Jif powdered peanut butter. Another high fiber snack that tides me over until dinner.
  • cloverdaisy
    cloverdaisy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been doing zero carbs high protein breakfast for the past two & half weeks. I found that it helps my craving under control for the entire day. I don't get hungry as early in the day as I used to.

However you said that you work out after breakfast so I'd throw in some carb rich food to fuel your body. For instance bananas, etc.
  • Leoturi
    Leoturi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. There is a lot I can use from this to help me out. I figure if I'm not bored with my food, I'm more likely to stick with my goals. Is Cereal a good thing? I know it has a lot of vitamins but it typically lacks protein.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    Not all cereal is created equal. I like Fiber One because a little goes a long way. Other cereals make me feel hungry too soon and you don't get a lot for the calories it has.
  • Leoturi
    Leoturi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Next time I go to the store I'll have to look at it. I take it the fiber is what helps curb the hunger?
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Breakfast, for me, is either Chobani Greek yogurt or Shredded Wheat and whole milk.

Lunch is usually a tuna wrap, using have a sheet of lavash; fruit (a banana, apple, orange); and a mini chocolate bar (Twix, Milky Way, etc.)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The last couple weeks I've gone with stack of hot cakes smothered in PB, couple pieces of angel food cake, or ice cream with some coffee.

Most people use carbs premeal workout for energy..banana works well too.
  • karebear737
    karebear737 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Leoturi wrote: »
    Thanks for the ideas and suggestions. There is a lot I can use from this to help me out. I figure if I'm not bored with my food, I'm more likely to stick with my goals. Is Cereal a good thing? I know it has a lot of vitamins but it typically lacks protein.

Vector cereal is a good choice if you are looking for protein. It's more of a meal replacement and it tastes good!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast except on Sundays, so I train fasted. And today was my fast food day because school on Wednesdays are shorter in my country, so I had a McChicken and a Mcdouble. Usually for lunch I have turkey or chicken, with vegetables or a frozen dinner.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Breakfast = nothing
    Lunch = brown rice, chicken and steamed veggies
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I don't eat in the morning, so no 'breakfast', but my weekday lunches are usually 3-4 servings of vegetables with 4 ounces of canned chicken and then either white rice, or a Lean Cusine or other low calorie entree (I add the veggies and chicken to them), with some sort of sauce added (usually sweet n' sour sauce or low calorie Italian dressing). Paired with chips or Fritos. And then weekends are all over the place and we usually eat out or I eat whatever my family is eating (usually something fast since we're always busy, so things like sloppy jo's, hot dogs/brats, sandwiches/subs etc).
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Whatever I feel like that day. Today for breakfast is Greek yogurt with cherries and granola, lunch is a roast beef sandwich with broccoli/cauliflower on the side. Dinner tonight is Buffalo Wild Wings, so that's where the damage will be done.
  • fabiosoyyo
    fabiosoyyo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    breakfast was chicken breast, chickpeas, carrots, isopure mixed with some psyllium husk and hersheys caramel syrup, cup of coffee and water.
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    During the week, my go-to breakfast is a Granny Smith apple, 150g of Siggi's 0% milkfat Vanilla yogurt, and 1/4 cup Kashi GoLean Toasted Berry Crumble cereal. That cereal mixed with the Siggi's is so. dang. delicious.

My lunch I usually bring to work is 1/2 cup short-grain rice and a cup of spicy black bean soup augmented with pumpkinseed protein powder, and 8 grape tomatoes. I look forward to my rice and beans all day because it's so good.

On the weekends I mix it up because I have time to be creative.