5K training but it's too hot outside!

Options
I am just looking for some ideas. I am in week 5 of Hal Higdon's 5K Intermediate training (8 weeks). I do not have access to a gym or a treadmill and it's supposed to be in the 90s with heat indexes around 100 all week. What kind of exercises can I do to keep up with my training plan?

Replies

• StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    Can you run later at night or maybe really early in the a.m?
  • LeeLynnP
    LeeLynnP Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I walk everyday in that weather... 5 miles @ 3.5 mph... You need to make sure you are looking for signs of heat exhaustion to be safe.
  • byroman
    byroman Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Get up earlier and train before it gets hot. Drink lots of water.
  • Virgo09
    Virgo09 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would try to workout early in the morning or do walk/run interval training so you're not overally exhausted from the heat.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    First - if its going to be this hot at the race its a good idea to do some of your training in race conditions. Take it easy, do a shorter distance at a slower pace than normal and take drink with you on the run - its just to acclimatize.

Second - Try running very early in the morning - its generally a lot cooler at sunrise...

Third - general fitness I recommend swimming: But if you are swimming in hot weather make sure you keep drinking water throughout: You might not feel as dehydrated as running, but you will be!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    That hot here too, but I've been going anyway. I don't want to backslide.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You should still get out there and do the miles. Just don't worry about your pace - go slow and take walk breaks if you need to. Bring water or gatorade with you. If you are running a race, you can't predict the weather and need to be prepared for heat, cold, rain, etc.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. The highs here all week is 95-100, it was still 93 at 9:30 last night. I won't walk when it is that hot because I can't breathe at all and then I get lightheaded. My plan for this week is lots of yoga, calstenics and weights inside my house. It will hopefully do me some good to switch up my routine anyways!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    My hot weather plan..

Day 1 . Cursing and a beer <- do not skip this step.
    Day 2 . walk twice to 3x the distance of my normal run
    Day 4 . start running at 1/2 to 3/4 my speed for my normal 5k run
    Day 5 . repeat day 4, gradually increasing speed... if it gets to hot, go back to day 2.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    I am just looking for some ideas. I am in week 5 of Hal Higdon's 5K Intermediate training (8 weeks). I do not have access to a gym or a treadmill and it's supposed to be in the 90s with heat indexes around 100 all week. What kind of exercises can I do to keep up with my training plan?

in the 90's?? ha! i'm jealous... 104º here
  • LyneaS
    LyneaS Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I wake up at 4:30 every day to get a workout in. I have been thinking about switching to running in the mornings but it's still dark out by the time I need to start getting ready for work. I do live in a fairly safe area though, so we'll see!! :)
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i think you are better off getting out there and walking if you have too. Its been close to 90 here even at 6:30 am when i usually run. My pace has slowed significantly, and i take a lotttt of walk breaks. Even if you run slower, or end up walking half of it, its really good hot weather conditioning. My best advice is - 5am (i will we seeing it tomorrow morning myself...ouch!) bring water, even if it is only a mile....and spray yourself down, run through sprinklers, whatever it takes. It will make you that much stronger for race day!

I might jump in a neighbor's pool if i have to.....HA!
  • LyneaS
    LyneaS Posts: 22
    Options
    Well, so far this week I've been trying Zumba inside my air-conditioned house! No running or walking. We are under a heat advisory until Friday night and today and tomorrow are ozone action days. Very humid here and I have trouble even breathing when I go outside. I am hoping to put in a good long run on Saturday morning to get myself back on track!!
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Go run anyway--just remember every 5 degrees over 60 will add 30 seconds onto your time. Dont let your mind or someone else tell you perfect conditions are needed. Just remember hydrate and expect your times to be higher.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I wake up at 4:30 every day to get a workout in. I have been thinking about switching to running in the mornings but it's still dark out by the time I need to start getting ready for work. I do live in a fairly safe area though, so we'll see!! :)

Time for a head lamp and a maybe carry mace if you feel that you need extra safty. Also, carry your cell so if you need help for any reason you can reach someone quickly.

Also...I would suggest training in the heat as well to build up to what it will be like on race day.
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm also training for 5K happening in September. We have had extra humid heat waves in NC too. Plus a lot of forest fires, so the air is smokey and sweaty/humid... Yuck! We also have had a lot more bugs- mostly vicious mosquitos which I am extra allergic too. I've learned it just gets down to jogging smart and being determined to keep your schedule. I jog with my son in a stroller, and last night was my most challenging jog I can remember... Jogging up and down hills, pushing 40+ lbs of weight, against a pretty impressive smokey wind, in low 90's, fighting off mosquitos. Definately a day I wish I could have already afforded to buy a HRM b/c Im sure I burned off more than the MFP log says.. A small tip though- avoid 'Skin So Soft' when it comes to bug protection. The oil in it traps your sweat and YOU WILL OVERHEAT! I found that out last night.