HIIT suggestions that are easy on the feet?

Options
I seem to have injured the ball of my foot running sprints on the treadmill last week. While I wait for that to heal, does anyone have suggestions for interval training that won't require jumping or running? I'm taking a much needed rest day tomorrow and will only have access to a limited hotel fitness center on Thursday - Monday. They have a treadmill, elliptical and dumbbells.

Someday, when I have a spare minute, I'll be getting new running shoes and inserts. Hopefully that will stop it from happening again! Gotta love getting older.

Replies

• KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Look at Cosgroves Evil 8 and do it with dumbbells.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Does the hotel have a pool? Swim sprints if they do.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    First hotel - no pool, second hotel I think only has an outdoor pool. I suck at swimming anyway!

:o Cosgroves Evil 8 looks intense! https://www.t-nation.com/training/screw-cardio-four-complexes-for-a-shredded-physique

It would give me time for a good stretch after too. I'm really sore right now!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Try the elliptical. Low-impact.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Spinning bike - intervals...
  • boothekm1
    boothekm1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT elliptical workouts a few times a week. You could try that. They're low impact on knees and joints...just not sure about feet!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Exercise bike. Crank up the resistance for 60sec intervals.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    We do laps in the pool...neither of us are strong swimmers...we keep it interesting by doing a couple of laps with a kickboard, then a couple with fins, then we "pool jog" a couple...etc. I can tell it burns a lot of calories! Rowing machines are also great cardio workouts and low impact...love them!

Go Cougs btw....WSU Coug 1986 grad! :smiley:
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    mdcoug wrote: »
    First hotel - no pool, second hotel I think only has an outdoor pool. I suck at swimming anyway!

:o Cosgroves Evil 8 looks intense! https://www.t-nation.com/training/screw-cardio-four-complexes-for-a-shredded-physique

It would give me time for a good stretch after too. I'm really sore right now!

yes, Cosgrove is very intense. Choose a weight for whichever of the exercises is your lightest weight (usually the OHP) and use that same weight throughout the entire circuit. It can usually be completed in 15-20 minutes depending on how long you rest between circuits.

There are variations as well that you can do. Instead of doing the rep ranges as 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 do 6, 5, 4, 4, 5, 6. Or do 8 circuits starting with 8 reps of each and then drop a rep each circuit (8,7,6,5,4,,3,2,1 or 8,7,6,5,5,6,7,8).

Have fun if you give it a go and let me know what you think of it.
  • gemstoneisland
    gemstoneisland Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks! These Cosgrove's look awesome!
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Get some Underarmor Fat Tire shoes. I can hike up and down steep trails and not have foot pain like I used to at the end, they are pretty awesome. No its not an advertisement nor do I work for the company, and yes I've tried orthotics, inserts, of course proper boots and all kinds of hikers, nothing comes close! They do take some getting used to because they put you higher off the ground and more likely to roll an ankle, but if you are doing sprints on a machine, that probably is not an issue. They claim the low profile ones are trail runners, but I use the boots due to the increased ankle rolling probability...