Need help in exercise dept

Options
How do y'all keep exercise motivation going?

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Make it a habit and have a kickazz gym playlist :)
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I do things I enjoy, and look at old pictures of myself when I was at my ultimate goal weight
  • Azchange
    Azchange Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've tried everything, and the only thing that works for me is to have a schedule. I used to go to a group workout that does HIIT, where I lost over 100 lbs in about 18 months to join the Army. After that I let myself go a bit (National Guard) and gained some of it back. After playing with different activities I have found the only thing that works for me is a calendar. Right now I am doing insanity and using the calendar that you can find online and taking it one day at a time. I wake up around 6 am and do the workout around 7 after I've had my coffee, but before I eat.

It also helps that in both situations the exercises change every minute and every day so it is not monotonous like running miles at a time. The first week is the hardest, and then it becomes easier as you form the habit. Even if you don't feel like working out just do your first few reps of whatever and your mind will change gears.
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I like taking certain classes at the gym. Once I started going regularly, it became a habit where it felt weird not to go. When I started seeing results, it became addictive.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I have programs and a schedule. It's hard to bail on that kind of obligation.
  • tgcake
    tgcake Posts: 59 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think one of the main reasons I am able to stick to my exercise is my phone app.

My form of exercise is 30-40 minutes of walking, 5 times a week. I have an app that tracks steps, calories, miles, and time. It charts it by day, week, and month. Seeing the numbers increase, and the consistency over the weeks, and month is very uplifting to me. It makes me want to walk so I can see those numbers go up. In addition, I've been at it over 3 weeks, so it's become a habit.

I also use it as a time to text with my family/friends; it's an incredibly boring form of exercise, and my family/friends are in a different timezone so it works out well and has become a nice social time. Some times I even read a book on my kindle.

Another thing for me is to make it as easy as possible to do it. I walk along a corridor that connects two buildings in the complex; I don't have to go anywhere else, it's literally just down the stairs. If I cannot manage that, I walk in the house.

Doing things you enjoy, or adding things to it that you enjoy, seeing results in some form of the other, reminding yourself of the reasons why you're doing this, making it as easy as possible, etc. will help you get over the first few weeks, and turn it into a habit.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I jogged for 40 years, so have a great ability to do boring and mindless activity over and over. When I got foot problems I got a stationary bike. I decided the only way I could fit it into my schedule 4 days a week was to do it before work, at 6:30. When I turned on the news one morning the boring and repetitious activity got a lot more interesting. I look forward to watching the news and just get out of bed and get on the bike. That's worked for the last two years.
  • jennjune2014
    jennjune2014 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I take my stress to the gym. Loud agressive music and sweat. I feel fantastic after.

Another thing that kept me motivated was anger. I have a sister in law that is negative. When I started losing weight she said. " you know your just going to gain it back". I placed her photo on my treadmill for a while. Sometimes your success is the best revenge.