How to find the right excercise for you

Options
Hey guys, so here's the thing, I've lost weight mainly just logging my food, which is great, but my weight loss now has kind of slowed down so I think I need to step up my game and be more active, but I'm having so many issues with this. I hate using the machines at the gym, I've also tried workout videos and apps and I just get so bored and I never stick with it. I enjoy walking and try daily to get 10k steps in, but even that sometimes can be overwhelming. Any tips or sharing what you do would be great.

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Well are your goals purely fat loss or are you also interested in adding a bit of muscle mass for a more athletic look?
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I get bored easily so really I just do whatever sounds fun or appealing at the time. With the weather warming up I'm trying to get out and ride my bike more because that is the one thing that I always like doing. I have a YMCA membership so that gives me a lot of options. Some days I feel like doing a class, some days I'd rather just put in my headphones and spend some time on the elliptical, and some days I take my son with me and we just play in the pool. I figure as long as I'm doing some type of exercise on a regular basis it doesn't matter much what I'm doing just as long as I'm moving!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    You could cut cals a bit more... say by 10%... and see how that works for you.

But to your question, it's a lot of trial and error. Think about things you enjoy, and do them. If the "need" to do them for exercise/steps becomes overwhelming, try doing them just for pleasure/enjoyment. You say you enjoy walking... find some different routes to walk, or go with a friend, take a dog, or walk with a purpose (to the store, for example).

What else do you enjoy? Swimming? Dancing? Bike riding? What about casual sports with friends... volleyball maybe?
  • MelZweightlossjourney
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Well are your goals purely fat loss or are you also interested in adding a bit of muscle mass for a more athletic look?
    I would say mainly just fat loss right now
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Blast music, and dance for an hour. Hip hop abs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Find a programme you like the look of... C25k, NROL4W, Insanity, strong curves, 30day shred, whatever you fancy...
  • MelZweightlossjourney
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    You could cut cals a bit more... say by 10%... and see how that works for you.

But to your question, it's a lot of trial and error. Think about things you enjoy, and do them. If the "need" to do them for exercise/steps becomes overwhelming, try doing them just for pleasure/enjoyment. You say you enjoy walking... find some different routes to walk, or go with a friend, take a dog, or walk with a purpose (to the store, for example).

What else do you enjoy? Swimming? Dancing? Bike riding? What about casual sports with friends... volleyball maybe?

You are so right! I need to make walking more of a hobby again instead of something I need to do everyday
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym with a passion. I ran on a treadmill at hotel a few nights ago and thank god for wifi and a good show on Netflix because it was painfully boring. I don't love moving heavy things around for no purpose. It is all just mind numbingly boring. So, I don't. I walk and hike a lot, I do yoga, I do an activity that somewhat resembles running, and I dance. Occasionally, I pull my road bike out and go for a proper spin (that will probably happen more often come spring). When I do all of it regularly, my body changes and while I might not be swol, I'm happy with the looks, I'm strong and flexible, and I can easily hike to the top of a mountain without feeling like I'm going to keel over. This is what matters to me.

I still get the most bang for my buck in weight loss when I watch my calories....but it's easier when you're burning some extra ones most days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I love riding my bike...it's a hobby as much as it is anything else. I also like hiking and have recently gotten into rock climbing at a local rock climbing gym. I do some swimming in the summer. The only reason I go to the gym is to lift...cardio machines make me want to claw eyeballs out and I've never had any interest in jumping around my living room to a DVD.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, so here's the thing, I've lost weight mainly just logging my food, which is great, but my weight loss now has kind of slowed down so I think I need to step up my game and be more active, but I'm having so many issues with this. I hate using the machines at the gym, I've also tried workout videos and apps and I just get so bored and I never stick with it. I enjoy walking and try daily to get 10k steps in, but even that sometimes can be overwhelming. Any tips or sharing what you do would be great.

The rate of loss frankly should be slower the less you have to lose.

And it's better if you do this purposely rather than the body forcing it on you.

Daily non-activity, and walking to help burn more calories may be helpful - but gives your muscles very little reason to be considered needed in the face of the body deciding what stays and goes in a steep deficit if you attempt to keep one going.

Finding some sort of resistance training you enjoy would be very beneficial now - and frankly for the rest of your life.

Lose some more muscle now (you've likely lost some already) won't be a great setup for maintaining healthy weight and will be difficult if not impossible to reverse if you don't enjoy doing much physical already.

Walking would at least tell your body the leg muscles are somewhat desired.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think you got your answer. We cannot tell you what to do. The best exercise is the exercise that you will do, and do regularly and often. You need to find something you like: bowling, biking, tennis, a dance class, yoga in the park, swimming, the walking you do, whatever
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm a huge advocate for pole dancing. It's strength and cardio all rolled into one. Plus you feel like a flying badxss. But if that's a bit too risque for you, you can try trapeze, silks, or lyra (hoop).

I also like weight lifting, which supplements my pole dancing. I haven't done actual cardio in probably 6 months.

But occasionally, I do like to attend a spin class or a boxing class for some added cardio, but that's been really rare lately.

Find what you will stick to. Try different things. You'll find it eventually.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Just try different things until you find what you like. If your gym offers classes go to several. Sometimes even the same class but a different instructor can be a whole different experience. Go outside and try things there too. I joined a meet up group that does outdoor activities so I get to try many different things.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    If being easily bored is really your problem, then I have a solution: Volunteer at your local animal shelter. Mine is always looking for people to walk and play with the dogs so they're more 'adoptable.'
  • fdnando2879
    fdnando2879 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Mind over matter put ur mind to it and push urself try doing yoga if u use the machines start light weight for a week then boost up weight following week you have to get broken in for the first few weeks then u will get into mode
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    Try a bunch of different things ... make an adventure of it. Be the one in the kitchen at work on Monday morning telling everyone about the great things you did on the weekend.

Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports ... start checking options off the list. Yeah, OK, maybe not card games ... that probably won't do much for your fitness. But there are lots of other options.

• sjr4291
    sjr4291 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you love walking then take a look at geocaching! It's a great excuse for getting out on some really fun adventures, and gives a purpose to your walks! :smiley:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    Or orienteering. :)