Healthy fat

Options
priscillarajo
priscillarajo Posts: 10 Member
edited February 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hello all,

I've been at a plateau for quite sometime. And I'm hungry even when I'm near my target which Im normally under. My macros tells me I'm usually low in fat can this be affecting my weight loss?? If so, how can I incorporate more healthy fats? I'm allergic to avo and eggs.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Low fat won't affect your weight loss directly, but it could certainly affect satiety, which could account for your being hungry all the time. Try olive oil, olives, nuts, nut butters, flax seed.

As for the plateau issue, how long is "quite sometime"? Have you recalculated your calorie goal since losing weight? Are you using a food scale to weigh your food as much as possible, and made sure you're verifying the database entries you use after the nutritional labels on packaged foods and against the USDA nutrient database for foods that aren't sold with nutritional labels (e.g., fresh produce, meat, etc.)? Have you become less active, or changed something else during the time that you've been on this plateau?
  • priscillarajo
    priscillarajo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Low fat won't affect your weight loss directly, but it could certainly affect satiety, which could account for your being hungry all the time. Try olive oil, olives, nuts, nut butters, flax seed.

As for the plateau issue, how long is "quite sometime"? Have you recalculated your calorie goal since losing weight? Are you using a food scale to weigh your food as much as possible, and made sure you're verifying the database entries you use after the nutritional labels on packaged foods and against the USDA nutrient database for foods that aren't sold with nutritional labels (e.g., fresh produce, meat, etc.)? Have you become less active, or changed something else during the time that you've been on this plateau?
    Hello Lynn,

Thanks for your advice. Yes, I weigh and measure my food no junk food either. I recalculated my calorie goal about 3 weeks ago it's now at 1400 and I usually stay under that.. near 1260 to 1300. I'm active 6 days a week 40 minutes Zumba followed by 20 minute walk in the morning. My plateau has been going on for the last month.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Stop labelling food as "Junk food" , food is just food. Only total diets are healthy or unhealthy.

To add in fats you can add seeds, nuts, nut butters, olives, salad dressings, mackerel, salmon.

Also eat your goal calories, that's what a goal is, you try to hit it.
  • SR1986
    SR1986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I find that I'm hungry when I don't have enough carbohydrates. Granola bars are great for that. Or just granola. I don't know if you eat grains or not though. I drink bolthouse drinks (8 Oz at a time) for carbohydrates and sugar. I add 2 tablespoons of Chia seeds to them and it keeps me full for a while. Also almonds and I shell peanuts. Getting enough fat is important too. If I'm feeling really crazy I'll have a bowl of honey nut chex or 1 poptart (not a package, but one of the 2 in a package) I find I'm also very sluggish if I've got low carbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to add fats is not not choose lean meats. Regular beef, dark poultry meat with the skin on, and fattier fish. Full fat dairy will add fats easily too. A pad of butter on veggies and higher fats our cream and yogurt (10%+ fat) will add fats too.

Some, especially those with insulin resistance, find that low fat diets make weight loss slightly more difficult. It is not a huge difference though. About 6 lbs difference in a year.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    The easiest way to add fats is not not choose lean meats. Regular beef, dark poultry meat with the skin on, and fattier fish. Full fat dairy will add fats easily too. A pad of butter on veggies and higher fats our cream and yogurt (10%+ fat) will add fats too.

Some, especially those with insulin resistance, find that low fat diets make weight loss slightly more difficult. It is not a huge difference though. About 6 lbs difference in a year.

All of that is fat, but not always the healthiest, talk to your doctor if you have family issues with cholesterol.

Olive oil is great, nuts and seeds and nut and seed butters are good. (I'm an avocado fan, but I understand the allergy, I'm allergic to apples and celery. )