How many calories do you eat?

Options
I'm starting over again and just wondering if people could tell me how many calories they eat to lose? I'm 219 lbs and am working out 4 times a week at the gym and lost 1 this week eating 1500 calories.

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    If you go through MFP's guided setup, it will give you a calorie deficit that's appropriate for your age, height, weight and current activity level.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    No one else's numbers will be applicable to you.

The best thing is to go ahead and set your goals to lose one pound a week (like the guided goal page suggests) and then log all your food for a month and see how it goes. Baby steps - first you need YOUR baseline. It's not the same as mine.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    People weigh different amounts and have different activity levels, different amounts of lean mass, etc., so I'm not sure how this is going to help you, but when I started at 213 lbs and lost 2 lbs a week pretty steadily for nearly four months eating about 1500 calories a day, plus any "earned" calories from exercise.

You already have the most important piece of information: you lost 1 (I assume you meant 1 lb) this week eating 1500 calories. Keep that up and see what happens.

Are you using a food scale on everything you eat, and checking the entries you use against food labels or the USDA nutrient database for produce, meat, etc., that doesn't have a nutrition label? I ask because I would expect you to be losing more than 1 lb on just 1500 calories a day -- but you may have started at a point in your menstrual cycle such that water retention is masking your fat loss. Or there might be some other normal fluctuation masking fat loss.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Hi, I eat 1500 a day my weight is 219
  • candie321
    candie321 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have been weighing and measuring everything and eyeing sodium etc so I expected more-I do start my period in 2 days-not sure. I'm happy for 1 lb just at 220 I expected more for all the effort haha
  • kteej
    kteej Posts: 46 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm 180 - trying to lose 30 more pounds. I started at 190 - two weeks ago. I stay between 1000 and 1200 calories a day - one cheat meal every 5 days or so.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I started at 229 and MFP set my calorie budget at 1570. I'm now maintaining at 1805.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different based upon height, activity level, etc.

But for what it's worth, I'm 5'5 and started out at 211lbs eating about 1600 calories working out 5x a week and only loss less than a pound my first week.

Maybe my body was adjusting to exercise? After that the weight started melting off.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'm 225 lbs and average about 1700 calories. I have MFP set to 1450 and eat back exercise calories. I think you have a sustainable calorie goal. There is plenty of room for treats and the healthy stuff. A pound a week is a great loss. Those pounds add up and you will be at your goal before you know it.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1700 and checking to see if I maintain here or I can bring it up. Most likely I'm a crap logger and eating 1800 and this is maintenance. Sucks.
  • californiagal2
    californiagal2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Watch how many carbs you eat. Try to eat more protein than carbs. Eat lots of veggies, and very little processed foods. Hope this helps.
  • robinfawcett107
    robinfawcett107 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25 pounds since last September. Averaged a little over 1 pound per week. I keep my macros at 40% carb, 30% protein and 30% fat. The fat literally fell off! I eat the 40/30/39 percentage at every meal and eat 5times a day. Give it s try
  • YogAlison
    YogAlison Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    "Under 1500 calories and you win." 1200 is possible if all I do is think about food. I found if I go over 2000 then I just plateau.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Calorie goal (&requirements) depend on alot of factors such as height, weight, age, & activity level. Personally I use "Scooby's Calorie Calculator" (search on Google and put in your info) and then I put that recommended amount into MFP. I found for me MFP didn't set high enough calorie goal as my job was very active and the initially recommendation made me dizzy, weak & wake up with hunger pains. My goal is now more obtainable and I don't feel deprived. :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    5'3". 151 and I maintain on about 1950 a day - but I use a cycle - I have a sedentary job, but fairly active with working out
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm shorter than most, barely 5 ft tall and I'm doing well with 1200. If I workout hard (rowing) than I'll have a bit more. I've been averaging about 1 pound a week loss.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Watch how many carbs you eat. Try to eat more protein than carbs. Eat lots of veggies, and very little processed foods. Hope this helps.

Why?

Weight loss is calories in vs. calories out. Vegetarians generally eat lots of carbs. It's only about carbs when you have medical issues.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Agree with others that everyone's numbers are individualized based on their own stats and activity level. If you are collecting data points...

I'm 5'2
    120 lbs in maintenance after losing ~30 lbs.
    Desk Job
    Average 15K steps/day so not sedentary even with the desk job

I ate 1600-1800 to lose, and now am maintaining with a TDEE of about 2200 per my FitBit and actual results.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I tend to do 1200-1400 during the week, and 1600-2000 during the weekend (5'5", 127 lbs)