MFP calorie 'quota'

Options
Hello everyone
I currently weigh 17.7 (245 lbs) and began at a higher weight in January this year. Originally I set my loss at 1lb per week and was given 1,670 cals per day by MFP. Was doing well and lost 7 lbs, had a few 'off track' days and wanted to get things moving again so reset my goal to 1.5 lbs loss per week. MFP then gave me 1,360 cals per day - which left me feeling particularly hungry and lightheaded at times. So I've upped my calories to 1,550 and I'm exercising every day (typically a 30 - 45 minute walk) - but the scales aren't moving (gggrrrrr....). I wanted to ask you if I'm possibly eating at a maintenance level ? And forgive my ineptitude - but how do I find out what my maintenance calories are on MFP ? Is it worth me even checking this out right now, as I'm still in the weight loss phase rather than maintenance phase?

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm going to post the obligatory flow chart because it is very helpful. Usual culprits are not giving it enough time and logging inaccuracies.

di2pndsqykoq.jpg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone
    I currently weigh 17.7 (245 lbs) and began at a higher weight in January this year. Originally I set my loss at 1lb per week and was given 1,670 cals per day by MFP. Was doing well and lost 7 lbs, had a few 'off track' days and wanted to get things moving again so reset my goal to 1.5 lbs loss per week. MFP then gave me 1,360 cals per day - which left me feeling particularly hungry and lightheaded at times. So I've upped my calories to 1,550 and I'm exercising every day (typically a 30 - 45 minute walk) - but the scales aren't moving (gggrrrrr....). I wanted to ask you if I'm possibly eating at a maintenance level ? And forgive my ineptitude - but how do I find out what my maintenance calories are on MFP ? Is it worth me even checking this out right now, as I'm still in the weight loss phase rather than maintenance phase?

1) To find your maintenance calories set your goal to 0 lbs loss per week.

2) You've only been at this for ... what? ... 6 weeks? And how long have you been at 1550 cal? Give it time!

• lilacfields
    lilacfields Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies - both very useful and yes, I'll admit I'm being impatient! VintageFeline, I do log very consistently with a digital weighing scale, but I will check that I'm being very vigilant. Thanks again.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    Do not increase your rate of loss goal. 1lb a week is 52lbs a year. That's NOT a "small" loss.

DO use a trending weight app or web site to track your weight level. MANY things in life will change your water weight and make it look as if you haven't lost weight even when you ARE.

People, especially females, can EASILY have a 4-6lb, often more, natural water weight swing in a 30 day period.
    A 1lb a week rate of loss is only 4lbs, or so, in a 30 day period.

You can WEIGHT MORE (on any particular pairs of days that are) 30 DAYS apart and still be losing at a 1lb a week rate.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies - both very useful and yes, I'll admit I'm being impatient! VintageFeline, I do log very consistently with a digital weighing scale, but I will check that I'm being very vigilant. Thanks again.

Then it is in all likelihood just impatience. If your restart has coincided with the sweet spot in your cycle that you retain all the water everywhere, as PAV says, it can mask weight loss. I've gone weeks without losses but it all works out in the end as long as I trust the process.

Never hurts to just check the entries you're using in the database too, it's largely user generated and there are some really wacky things in there!
  • lilacfields
    lilacfields Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying PAV - and you're right, I would be very pleased with a 521bs loss over the course of a year and I will just have to take my time and work at it (like everyone else!). It's also encouraging to hear that others can go weeks without a loss, VintageFeline - your reply helps a lot. Guess I've just got 'noob nerves' !

Good luck to everyone on their own weight management journey.