truck driver help for meal replacement shakes

Options
My husband is a truck driver/ delivery man. He has no access to a blender, fridge, microwave. He says he can't eat raw vegetables, and fruit because it gives him acid indigestion... not really, he just does not want to eat healthy. He is sick of cold sandwiches, and protein bars. So he eats a lot of fast food. Dr. said he needs to loose weight. He is willing to try a meal replacement shake that he can mix with water. Any suggestions on what might work for him? He wants it to taste good. I have had shakology in the past and he does not like those.

Replies

• narysmoth
    narysmoth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Mandy, not sure where you are based but I'm on the Slenderplan total meal replacement shakes and bars. I am in ketosis now and have lost 11lbs in 2 weeks. It says to mix with skimmed milk but I use water I just shake it to mix it. The first few days are the hardest until you are in ketosis then its a doddle.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You can eat fast food and lose weight. It's all about the choices you make. Clearly, he's not willing to make those choices because he's not ready to lose weight. Just let it go...

Meal replacement shakes are a joke and are not filling at all anyway.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Also as a side note, alot of the people on here are being jerks in my opinion and not offering any real insight or help. I am 5'11" and at my heaviest I was about 255, this last go round I started out at 235 and am down to 215. Sounds like your husband may be similar to me in his food tastes and his work style. I'd be more than happy to share what's worked for me and how I eat (to include meal replacement shakes) and work out if he's interested. He can take what worked for me and adapt it for himself. There is no special diet or restrictions on types of food so he really can make it work for him.

I don't think anyone is being a jerk, just being honest, if he doesn't want to lose weight, he won't. You have to want to do it. Meal replacement shakes for someone who isn't in the right mindset will most likely lead to maintaining/weight gain as they will end up eating more on top of the shake because they are still hungry or will stick to it for a short while lose the weight, and then go back to normal ways and putting the weight back on.

As you say your suggestion with the portable oven makes more sense as there is no restrictive diet and it's adapatable and is something that someone can do long term and factor into a lifestyle change instead of a short term diet.
  • PJ3937
    PJ3937 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I use doctors best weight loss shakes for two meals when I'm in the mindset for Meal replacement. I supplement with fruit and veggies and salad (sorry no getting around these). I also use frozen meals when I'm not in the mood to cook. I use MFP to track my food. I have lost about 1lb./day in the past. Weight gain after is only a given if one goes back to original food and eating habits.
  • lucyluvhandles
    lucyluvhandles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have found success with premier protein shakes. The are very low in sugar 1g, and high in protein 30g. They taste good and really do help curve my hunger. Some people may think meal replacement shakes are bs but they do work for some of us.
  • Kelly_2013
    Kelly_2013 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out GNC Lean Shakes. I get the chocolate one mainly, I drink it when I'm craving something sweet.
  • sylols84
    sylols84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I work out of a vehicle too. A hot meal is worth killing for so I feel his pain. Look up road pro on amazon. It's a portable oven the size of a lunch box that plugs into a cigarette lighter in your truck. I use mine to have hot healthy meals as I don't like cold sandwiches or veggies either. It's been a lifesaver.

I agree with this. My husband also drives truck, gone a few nights at a time. Just put food in a tin loaf pan, cover with tin foil. Then he can throw it in a cooler to keep until he wants to warm it. Soup cans also fit in these.
  • tink11464
    tink11464 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I like several different shake mixes - but Trutein is one of my faves - - You can order samples off of their site. I keep the sample packets in my desk at work and they mix well with water and taste great!!
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'd encourage him to become more aware of calories. Since he likes fast food and is already used to that on the road, he may find weight loss easiest by just tweaking what he orders. Like, still getting the burger he likes best but getting one instead of two and/or skipping the fries (if either currently applies), and getting diet soda. Also, he could sometimes order a sandwich on the menu that's lower in calories than his usual burger etc.

Then to make up for the lost volume and calories, he could add in lower calorie snacks he brings, like string cheese or a protein shake. Something he really likes. He'd probably be ok with eating some cold foods so long as he still has the hot main from a fast food joint.

Down the road, he may adopt greater changes. But meeting him where he is now and creating a calorie deficit in his current context and way of being will likely feel much more painless and easy to adhere to for him.
  • kimat401
    kimat401 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wendy's small chili and a half BBQ chicken salad are one of my husbands favorite meals. Sometimes he subs a jr cheeseburger for either the salad or chili if he's craving a burger. Taco Bell offers most of their menu items al fresco which is subbing the cheese and sour cream for a pico de gallo. Also, the spicy tostada from Taco Bell is really good and lo cal.

Logging our foods daily has really helped my husband and I learn how to make better choices. It sucks at first but after while it becomes second nature. And in the beginning we found it best not to worry so much about the macronutrients and just focus on being aware of what we were eating, if that makes sense. And just do whatever works for him and readjust and tweak as needed.