Protein shakes? Help!

Options
Hey, sorry if this has been asked a million times before! Please be kind! haha
I have recently started setting my alarm for 6am and going for a half hour jog before work, one of my friends suggested having a protein shake when I get home but there are so many out there I'm getting confused! Any suggestions whether this is the right thing to do or any suggestions for protein shakes I can buy? I'm based in the UK if that helps :)

Thanks?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I can't stand protein shakes on their own. But I DO buy protein powder to add to vegetable-based smoothies (kale, cucumber, carrot, etc.) and to add to oatmeal to up the protein.

I've tried several brands (usually what's on sale!), and they really do vary in taste and texture, so it might just take some experimenting on your part to find something that you like.

I tend to find the vanilla flavored ones to be more to my liking. The chocolate and strawberry ones all taste terrible to me.

Some recent successes include MLO Rice Protein Powder, which is great in veggie smoothies because it doesn't add much of its own flavor, and Tera's Whey Bourbon Vanilla (but it's terribly expensive when not on sale.)
  • bluebell88xx
    bluebell88xx Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh forgot to add I'm not trying to lose weight I'm adding the jog to my pre-existing gym routine just to get more steps in.

Thanks for the advice regarding the smoothies though I think I will try this! :)
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Whey protein, plus add other protein food, put it in a blender and make a super protein shake lol
  • fabiosoyyo
    fabiosoyyo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    yes they do
  • kzooyogi
    kzooyogi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Definitely couldn't hurt, especially if your diet lacks protein naturally. I love Vega Clean Protein - vanilla flavor.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I can't do shakes on their own, either. Too gritty. But I use protein powder in smoothies in the morning. I try whatever I have samples of at the time. My personal favorite is whey because of the texture.

I like 8 oz almond milk, tablespoon of ground flax, 1/2 tablespoon of PB2, tablespoon of protein powder, 1/2 tablespoon of cacao powder, teaspoon of coconut oil, a little matcha, a little powdered green superfood, a little powdered red superfood, and about half a cup of frozen mixed berries. I do prefer the chocolate flavored protein powders and they are not all created equal. Use an immersion blender (easy, and less to clean afterwards than with a regular blender). If you can take the flavor, kale or spinach can be substituted for some of the fruit, and juice of fruits or vegetables for the almond milk.

If you have Amazon Prime, you can get samples of some protein powders here:

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=as_li_ss_tl?rh=i:aps,n:15240022011,n:15240022011&bbn=15240022011&ie=UTF8&node=15240022011&&linkCode=sl2&tag=nouvchea-20&linkId=42d99e109179119fa4544fd5b1abe447

For about $2 each. Just a few brands right now but a changing selection. You get the purchase price back as a credit on the full size. I am a fan of the BSN Syntha-6 that is up there right now.

Edit, sorry, I see you are in the UK. Amazon might have something similar going on there. If anyone in the US is looking for samples, though, this is a good way to try them.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi. I use Precision Engineered Whey Protein. I buy it from Holland and Barrett when they have the penny sale on :D I am unsure as to the prices anywhere else or online. I do a half hour workout before work and I tend to drink the Strawberry one with almond milk after this and then I eat my breakfast when I get to work. If I'm on a day off I tend to lie-in then do my workout in which case I will blend it with almond milk, a banana and some blueberries and raspberries and have it as a 'breakfast'. I find this one pretty smooth to drink. A lot of manufacturers provide them in smaller packets so that you can try before you commit to a larger one.

Good luck in your search!! :)
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I like PhD diet whey in strawberry. It's half price on amazon.co.uk at the moment. Yummy in smoothies and very filling.
  • Tania_181
    Tania_181 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using the impact whey protein from MyProtein - always delivered quickly and they often have offers on. I use the chocolate flavoured stevia version and find it tasty enough, occasionally I will add banana or nut butter. At the least, its a pretty mild flavoured shake for drinking early in the morning - I like to have a shake before hitting the gym as I find eating before exercise uncomfortable.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I vote for Myprotein as well. I use the chocolate/peanut butter whey impact (isolate). You're lucky to live in the UK, it is so much cheaper there and won't take 3 weeks to get to you like it does for me.

I also use their flavdrops, i buy a big tub of plain Greek yogurt and mix in some maple or peanut butter drops to make it taste better and get rid of the tartness.