fasted vs. fed cardio

Options
Which do you prefer and why? Lately I've been doing morning runs as fasted cardio because if I try to run after eating I get sick. I'm just worried that I need some kind of nutrition to fuel my body for my run schedule. Some days I'm running 4-7 miles before breakfast.

Replies

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If it's working for you, don't "fix" it. At the upper end up that run, you might want to bring some gel or something, as you're approaching the "magic hour" mark.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I get up at 430-5 to workout so I usually go fasted.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You have loads of ready to use energy in your body - unless you are doing a far longer duration I wouldn't worry about it.
    My exercise for the most part just fits in my day wherever I can fit it in, I only deliberately fuel for 3+ hour rides.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't do cardio right now but if I did, it would have to be fed because I get dizzy,headaches and my tummy growls and all I think about is food.. not too full but either a light snack or maybe 30 min after a light meal. How do you feel fasted? If you feel good and it is working, nothing wrong with fasted cardio with food after.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It's all personal preference. If you're not having any problems, then it's safe to assume there aren't any problems.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I work out at night, after work. Usually at some point between 6:30 and 9 (depends on what else I have going on). I eat lunch around 2 and have a piece of fruit at 3 or 4, but that's all. So I guess that counts as fasted? Sort of?

I do pretty intense cardio (Insanity, Focus T25, etc.) a lot of days and if I have food in my stomach during all that jumping it will not go well at all.
  • fabiosoyyo
    fabiosoyyo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    its all about yours preferences. no difference between boths in terms of weight loss.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning before I eat.

Sometimes I have to run in the evening- I eat an early lunch and still feel sluggish and gross during my run. I much prefer fasted.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would have no reservations about running 4-7 miles without eating first, I do it regularly. I hate running with a full stomach and I like to run first thing in the morning, so it works best for me. If I'm running more than 90 minutes, I will have some dried fruit, piece of toast, or part of a Clif bar beforehand and I'll carry some Gu in case I feel like I need it.

As long as you're nourished overall, you don't need to eat right before shorter runs.

(Obviously, pay attention to your own personal experience, how you feel, etc. This is very general advice).
  • LoeyJones
    LoeyJones Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Cool, thanks for the input. I just wanted to make sure that what I was doing wasn't harming my body or my ability to keep building on my mileage for runs. I'm training for a half in October but I feel comfortable going fasted for my training runs now. We'll see what I feel like at 11+ :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    LoeyJones wrote: »
    Which do you prefer and why? Lately I've been doing morning runs as fasted cardio because if I try to run after eating I get sick. I'm just worried that I need some kind of nutrition to fuel my body for my run schedule. Some days I'm running 4-7 miles before breakfast.

You've probably got amply glycogen stored for a run of that distance. Like you I don't like running with food in my stomach which is why the majority of my runs are fasted. If ZI do eat anything it will be at least a couple of hours before I head out.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have been running early and fasted for years and prefer it that way. If you feel under fueled a half bagel or toast with almond butter works well without too much fullness.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I haven't surpassed running that distance yet (still working on building endurance as progress is slow for me due to medical issues), and I run fasted to avoid nausea.

It really is all about preference.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    @SideSteel posted this yesterday or Tuesday I think- relevant to this discussion.
    https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-014-0054-7
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If you find you do need more fuel for the longer runs, there are options for calories that are easily digested and much less likely to bother your stomach (Clif bloks, gu packs, fruit snacks).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I do my training when I can train...I often train fasted in the summer because in the summer I usually ride in the early AM to beat the heat on weekdays...but those rides tend to only be 30-60 minutes in duration. I fuel longer rides before hand and often during if it's like a 3 or 4 hour ride.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I prefer fed. 'cuz food. ;)
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Depends on what time of day I'm doing cardio and how hungry I am before. I give it no thought, have no preference and am not sure I've realized any difference.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Depends on what "cardio" system(s) you're using. If predominately your aerobic system and it is properly trained, you can go for hours that way. I just did 11ish hours all without food and went up to 14,200' elevation. I had 2 eggs, a piece of toast and a gatorade before I headed out. I felt great afterwards.

My morning workouts (2 hours of cardio) are fasted because I am lazy and work isn't upset with me eating breakfast on the clock.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If it's first thing in the morning, any exercise for me would be fasted. I can push my first meal quite a bit without getting dizzy or tired, not so with later meals. Got to have coffee though. I can run on the treadmill later in the day if I have some light in my stomach an hour before.