No calories burned for snow blowing???

2»

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    The MFP database has no calories burned for snow blowing???!!!. I guess all MFP users live down south and what with global warming it's not needed. Fortnately other websites do.

You're walking behind a motorized stroller.

There's no calorie burn for it, come on.

-As I sip coffee from my kitchen watching a plow truck clear 3 inches of snow away.
    I'd love to invite these idiots up north after a 2 ft storm of wet heavy snow. Battling the 4 ft snowbanks next to the road and clearing the rest of the driveway for 2 1/2 hours works up a hell of a sweat. There's still a ton of pushing and pulling that 200 lb snowblower. If you've never done it, don't comment.

Nice 2-yo resurrection.

BTW - I live in CT and got hammered with snow. I snowblew my driveway and patio. Can I comment? If so, then I'll just say that I didn't burn much until I had to use my shovel.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I don't know about blowing snow but the ratio is one beer every 15' in said snow for maintenance.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Consider anything you did actually burn as a bonus and warm up with a hot chocolate. Next time do some shovelling and build a luge for the kids to sled down. You'll be a hero.
  • LunaticBunny
    LunaticBunny Posts: 2 Member

-As I sip coffee from my kitchen watching a plow truck clear 3 inches of snow away.
    I'd love to invite these idiots up north after a 2 ft storm of wet heavy snow. Battling the 4 ft snowbanks next to the road and clearing the rest of the driveway for 2 1/2 hours works up a hell of a sweat. There's still a ton of pushing and pulling that 200 lb snowblower. If you've never done it, don't comment.[/quote]

Agree. When we actually had the snow blower working, it didn't turn corners with ease you had to fight with it. It didn't have reverse to you tried to avoid it. It can be hard work using a snow blower.
    Its harder now since our snow blower has died, its the shovel or if I'm lucky the Hubby will actually use a tractor. ( hardly never, only once this winter)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    As someone said previously, there are a lot of variables. Due to the fact that you don't do it every day, that's its not done as a workout/for exercise, and the wild inexactness of estimating calories burned, I wouldn't bother logging it. If nothing else, it would give me a little buffer for the times I underestimate calories consumed.

If you insist on logging it, log something pretty low. Even if you're fighting with a big snowblower on rough ground, it's not going to be a large calorie burn. I'd probably log it like I did weight lifting... something like 3-5cals per minute.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    The MFP database has no calories burned for snow blowing???!!!. I guess all MFP users live down south and what with global warming it's not needed. Fortnately other websites do.

I'd love to invite these idiots up north after a 2 ft storm of wet heavy snow. Battling the 4 ft snowbanks next to the road and clearing the rest of the driveway for 2 1/2 hours works up a hell of a sweat. There's still a ton of pushing and pulling that 200 lb snowblower. If you've never done it, don't comment.

Strong 1st post on a necro thread...

Necro2.jpg
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member

I live up north, and though it does take a long time to use the snow blower if I'm doing my parents house, and I do sweat, I do realize that it is because I'm wearing a lot of clothes, and moving around, not because I'm putting an extreme amount of exertion into doing the task. I sweat a lot more from shoveling my 1 car driveway and front walk in a 6" storm than I do snow-blowing my parents 8 car driveway on one side, and their 2 car on the other side in a 20" snow storm.

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Ugh, you guys made me post on an old thread!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    This thread has everything I could want. Random insults from clueless people, multi-year necro, completely unrelated posts and plenty of sarcasm and snark. Thank you.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    This thread has everything I could want. Random insults from clueless people, multi-year necro, completely unrelated posts and plenty of sarcasm and snark. Thank you.

Topped off with most of the replies from people who don't understand that snow blowing can be a daily, or at least 2-3 times a week, thing for 4 months of the year.

Dammit. Now I'm doing the necro thing too.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,047 Member
    The movie Stepmom led me to believe that Snowblowing was something else entirely.