HELP..keep losing and gainin same pound

Options
I need some advice..I keep losing and gaining the same pound..one week I will be down a pound..next week back up then back down..the same pound..

HELP!!!

Some ppl have told me that maybe I need to up my calories???

Replies

• skinnyminimoni
    Options
    Are your measurements changing? If so, you don't need to worry.
  • Pippapipster
    Pippapipster Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    can you tell me... if the measurements are changing but you are not losing weight.. How does that work like that? will I all of a sudden lose the actual weight??
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    With only 16 lbs to go I would suggest setting your goal to lose between 0.5 and 0.75 lbs/week. Anymore than that and you risk burning lean muscles along with the fat. And make sure you are eating back at least most of your exercise calories for the same reason.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    With only 16 lbs to go I would suggest setting your goal to lose between 0.5 and 0.75 lbs/week. Anymore than that and you risk burning lean muscles along with the fat. And make sure you are eating back at least most of your exercise calories for the same reason.

Yeah, what he said...
  • skinnyminimoni
    Options
    can you tell me... if the measurements are changing but you are not losing weight.. How does that work like that? will I all of a sudden lose the actual weight??
    If your measurements are changing but you're not losing weight, your body is converting your fat to lean muscle.
  • Pippapipster
    Pippapipster Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ok... thanks.... !!
  • erickirb
    Options
    If your measurements are changing but you're not losing weight, your body is converting your fat to lean muscle.

You cannot convert fat to muscle. It is possible, if you are doing strength training and are new to it, that you would put on some muscle while losing fat.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options

You cannot convert fat to muscle. It is possible, if you are doing strength training and are new to it, that you would put on some muscle while losing fat.

I'm not trying to be a b****, I just want to know how you know that. I'm smart enough to realize that you cannot change a fat molecule into a protein one, but if you lose some fat and gain some muscle, I mean, you are basically replacing it... If we didn't gain muscle while losing weight, how would we get stronger?
  • lovebeinGIGI
    lovebeinGIGI Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I'm not trying to be a b****, I just want to know how you know that. I'm smart enough to realize that you cannot change a fat molecule into a protein one, but if you lose some fat and gain some muscle, I mean, you are basically replacing it... If we didn't gain muscle while losing weight, how would we get stronger?

I think the point is in fact that you can not "convert" fat into muscle but that as you gain muscle from strength training you will lose fat. More muscle helps your metabolism to burn the fat more efficiently. Fat doesn't "convert" into muscle, you just lose it. You build the muscle you already have and lose the fat you have. Yes, it's a trade off...for the better.

By the way...my ex-husband was a heavy weight trainer and still is to this day. It was his "obsession"...still is. I've listened to more than my fair share of weight lifting facts. Keeping track of body fat content was one of his top priorities.
  • erickirb
    Options

That is what I said, you can lose some fat and gain some muscle which is replacing it, not converting it.
    FYI: it is very difficult to build any measurable amount of muscle when is a caloric deficit as muscle takes a surplus of energy to be built. That being said if you are new to strength training there will be some gain in the beginning. You can also get stronger without building muscle, just by using the muscle you do have, this strength gain does not mean you actually increase your lean muscle mass. Usually while you lose weight, you lose fat and muscle, not just fat.