Splenda?

Options
I've heard its bad for you.. but I've been using it in my coffee and green tea forever. :/
What do you think about it?

Replies

• siouxsie212
    Options
    Splenda is the only sweetener that is non-GMO, which is how I eat. If you're going to use artificial sweeteners, this one is the best.
  • VidaSana
    VidaSana Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, leave out the Splenda and just go with regular sugar. If you have a balanced diet in other areas, this wont hurt you. Spare your body the chemicals =)
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about Splenda, try Stevia if you can handle a little bitterness. I have used Splenda for many years to help manage my type II diabetes with no issues. I would be more worried about aspartame sweetened products, many people have bad reactions to that sweetener.
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I dunno if it is really "good" for you..but I use it and I like it. If it kills me later down the road...well so be it. :)
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I agree with Vida Sana - spare your body the chemicals - just because something is 0 cals does not mean its good for you by any means
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Splenda made me sick. Stomach bloating, Constipation etc. I switched to Stevia. But everybody digests sweeteners differently.
  • ifiwasurvampire
    ifiwasurvampire Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I hate splenda and truvia. Due to the fact they contain carbs! I use walmart great value loose powder as it has zero everything. But I don't see a problemusing splenda or no cal sweetners. Thanks to using it for 6 months now I can't stand the taste of actual sugar.
  • Jodi_O
    Jodi_O Posts: 32
    Options
    Regular sugar has chemicals in it too. Sugar in it's raw form is not white. The granular sugar you buy has been chemically whitened. I use splenda. If, in 20 years it has been found that splenda causes cancer, then I recant my statement.
  • feistyattitude
    Options
    I try to avoid artificial sweeteners if possible; but some people eat and drink just about everything with them in it. It's all a personal choice, but I'd rather deal with real sugar.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    And speaking of low glycemic, natural sweeteners, agave nectar is also an option.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    10 years from now, they're going to say that they are all bad for us. So just go with the flow ;) If you don't have any problems with it, such as headaches, constipation or plateau in wt gain, then use it if you want.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Splenda packets are 33 Calories per 10g versus sugar at 39 Calories. You don't save much. Splenda already in products is better.

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/blogentries/splenda-sweetener-the-delusion-of-low-calories.html
  • celestedavis
    celestedavis Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Dr. Mercola, a world reknowned physician who focuses on healing not managing disease wrote a book about Splenda, check out this article and short video http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/06/20/absurd-new-ways-splenda-is-deceiving-you.aspx . Then get your self some plain old sweet leaf stevia, not truvia or nuvia just sweet leaf stevia. It wont taste any different than splenda in your food and has healing properties.
  • sophiessweets
    Options
    I use Splenda, but I try to limit its use (because I think the more I use it the greater my sweet tooth seems to be). 4 packets a day is what I stick to.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, leave out the Splenda and just go with regular sugar. If you have a balanced diet in other areas, this wont hurt you. Spare your body the chemicals =)

I so agree!

I try to stay away from adding artificial sweeteners wherever I can.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Stevia is the only one I use now. I used to use splenda, but I have been trying to stay away from the artificial sweeteners. My ob/gyn told me when I was pregnant that splenda was really to new to the market to have any studies showing long term effects of use. I use stevia now because its natural.
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I like it, I use it!
  • DanNoonan
    DanNoonan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm with Vida on this one, if your diet is clean, you can fit in some sugar for your coffee/tea without ruining your daily totals. Personally, I am trying to ween myself off the artificial sweeteners, actual sugar just isn't as sweet as the Equal/Sweet N' Low I've gotten used to... Trying mixes of artificial with sugar to minimize the amount of chemicals I take in with the hopes that down the road I can just use plain sugar.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Or just use reg sugar or honey in moderation.
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    yh white sugar is not great but brown is good. Isn't sweetener more sweet that actual sugar so make you crave more things? I still say either brown sugar or honey if im honest but that's just me, there's enough rubbish in this world that goes into food so I don't need to add to it :)