Hungry days

Options
how do you all cope with hungry days I have been on diet for around 13 months and I think I done well I have stuck to it pretty well with the odd wobble and have lost around 42 pounds, in the last 3-4 weeks I have really stepped up my exercise game and am doin 2-3 hours a day 4 times a week burning generally around 1400 calories a session and I eat back around 30% of those on them days but on my off days I am finding it hard to stick to the 1950 calories I mean today I am so hungry I am about to go to bed just because if I don't I might snack on something

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    First off, way to go on your success so far!

I would bump it up to 50% eat back if 30% isn't cutting it, it's still a conservative enough # to account for calorie burn being far off and your MFP should already be set to give you an appropriate deficit. You do tend to be more hungry with exercise, so it's quite possibly legitimate hunger (though obviously try and hydrate!).
    Exercise aside, I think a lot of us have hunger days once in awhile where we just want to eat everything in sight, so that is not unusual.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you weigh, but even if you are on the light side, if you are putting in 1400 calorie exercise sessions and only eating 1950 calories, that has to be a calorie deficit in excess of 1000 calories. Your weight loss is too aggressive and you need to eat more.
  • razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    im currently 152 pounds, but i dont do that much everyday i only go 4 times a week and on average burn around 5000-6000 calories a week but its the rest days where im finding im more hungry
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you think you truly are burning 1400 in 2-3 hours of exercise, and are only eating back 30%: that would explain it. If you have no confidence in the 1400# then perhaps you need to get heart rate monitor to give a better burn # for cardio at least.
    razzapool wrote: »
    how do you all cope with hungry days I have been on diet for around 13 months and I think I done well I have stuck to it pretty well with the odd wobble and have lost around 42 pounds, in the last 3-4 weeks I have really stepped up my exercise game and am doin 2-3 hours a day 4 times a week burning generally around 1400 calories a session and I eat back around 30% of those on them days but on my off days I am finding it hard to stick to the 1950 calories I mean today I am so hungry I am about to go to bed just because if I don't I might snack on something

• razzapool
    Options
    well I'm as sure as I can be I mean I don't know how reliable the machines are but I do 40 mins on crosstrainer which says is around 400-500 calories and then I do some weights for 30-40 mins then I log an hour on the stairmaster on a 2 speed interval setting of 80-100 spm which is anywhere between 850-950 calories but I only eat back around 30% anyway, but its not the gym days that affect me its the day after and this week I cant seem to get full on my 1950 calories
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    im currently 152 pounds, but i dont do that much everyday i only go 4 times a week and on average burn around 5000-6000 calories a week but its the rest days where im finding im more hungry

Given how little you are eating and the length of the workouts, you are probably depleting your glycogen stores and the next day your body is still sucking the sugar out of your bloodstream to replenish them. Lower blood sugar is one of the reasons we feel hunger. Dehydration can also cause hunger. And lack of sleep can cause hunger. Exercise the day before can cause any and all of these things. To deal with dehydration, drink fluids. To deal with the glycogen thing, eat or drink 30 to 60 grams of carbs per hour while you are working out. You can take care of both with a 20oz sports drink every hour. (The full sugar one, not the low calorie ones.) Or if you don't like that, a soda or some fruit juice can accomplish the same thing. The goal here is to keep carbs in your gut while you are working out so that you don't have to use as much glycogen. Anytime your workout exceeds 60 minutes you should plan on consuming carbs during your workout.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If I have a super active day, being so busy/active kills my appetite. But I feel it the next day. I don't think everyone responds the same way.

Machines are notoriously wrong. Especially if they do not allow you to input your information. My treadmill for example has no option to set gender/weight/etc. Which means my treadmill's reported calorie burn is total fiction, as I don't even know what sort stats it is based on. If the machine allows user input it could be closer, but they still tend to be off because the machine can't tell how hard YOU are working. Using a heart rate monitor for cardio would give a more accurate picture. My understanding is strength training does not burn a huge amount above your normal 'lightly active' burn rate that MFP is already assuming.

Increasing to 50-60% of your estimated burn #s, and tracking results for the next 4-6 weeks would be my suggestion. You would need enough time to collect data on your weight loss trend and to see how you feel at the different calorie level.
  • razzapool
    Options
    ahh thank you some good advise here i will try taking a banana with my tomorrow and eat halfway through and get some fruit juice for after

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I would eat back more of your exercise calories. I run and walk, and I eat back all the calories I earn from those activities, either on the day of or the day after. I don't use the TM number though, I use the MFP number that is based on my current weight. It is actually a bit low, because it doesn't take into account hills or speed intervals, which increase the burn. Even eating back all my calories, I still get hungry sometimes. If I'm really hungry, I eat. I'm still losing weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    If eating back 30% of your exercise calories fills you up on your exercise days, consider eating another 20% on your subsequent non-exercise days. I'm often hungrier the day after major exertion.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    You do not need to eat the exercise calories on the day of the exercise, you can roll them over to the next day if that's when you'll be hungry for them.

I agree with others that you might not be eating enough.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

What are you doing for 2-3 hours a day that burns 1400 calories?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    If I have a super active day, being so busy/active kills my appetite. But I feel it the next day. I don't think everyone responds the same way.

Machines are notoriously wrong. Especially if they do not allow you to input your information. My treadmill for example has no option to set gender/weight/etc. Which means my treadmill's reported calorie burn is total fiction, as I don't even know what sort stats it is based on. If the machine allows user input it could be closer, but they still tend to be off because the machine can't tell how hard YOU are working. Using a heart rate monitor for cardio would give a more accurate picture. My understanding is strength training does not burn a huge amount above your normal 'lightly active' burn rate that MFP is already assuming.

Increasing to 50-60% of your estimated burn #s, and tracking results for the next 4-6 weeks would be my suggestion. You would need enough time to collect data on your weight loss trend and to see how you feel at the different calorie level.

Quoting to add that a heart rate monitor may make it look like you get a big calorie burn for weight training, but it's misleading. Heart rate goes up with the exertion of the lifts, but it's not really burning proportionate calories. (Lots of things can increase your heart rate - hot weather, hydration issues, more - only some of them burn extra calories.)
  • Tonkajoe
    Tonkajoe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing too much exercise on too few a days. One session per day - about an hour is all your muscles can effectively pull glycogen to fuel themselves. Perhaps consider doing 6 days a week one each of: HIIT, weights, 1long cardio (60 minutes) , HIIT, weights, light cardio(10 min) & stretching(20-30) min , Rest day.

Working that hard on those days AND eating lots on those days is putting a ton of stress on your body.

Also when you say "you go" I assume that means going to the gym. While the gym can be good it takes a lot of extra time. If you can figure out how to do it at home then the time it takes just going there and back, changing, chatting, etc. you can be done your one hour a day. You don't need heavy weights .. do body weight exercises .. LOTS of full body movements, walking lunges are amazing for total body work. Use only body weight or add very small weights. Your legs and butt are the biggest muscles they need to be lifting weight = next day tons of fat burning and muscle building hormones are coursing through your body. This actually reduces hunger and gives a boost to those muscle building days; which is why I list weight day AFTER HIIT day. Good luck :smiley:
  • TimothyFish
    Options

I don't know what the OP is doing, but I burned 1,000 calories this evening on Zwift in about half that time.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

I don't know what the OP is doing, but I burned 1,000 calories this evening on Zwift in about half that time.

Half what time? Half of 3 hours, meaning 90 minutes of cycling? I've done that many times but my HRM shows a burn of about 650, on my hardest rides. So 1300 in 3 hours, is definitely doable, for me, and clearly for you.

I was asking the OP though. :)
  • razzapool
    edited February 2017
    Options
    my gym session is 40 mins on the crosstrainer, 40 mins of various weight machines then a full hour on the power mill, I never used any of the calories back on the days off the gym I didn't even think of that cause I was always focused on trying keep all the macros in the green