Recipes for 1200 cal diet

Options
This is my first time actually sticking to a diet....my only problem is, idk any good 1200 calorie diet plans. The plans are either things I hate, or I don't have a good meal plan to follow. So, my question is, can someone please point me in the right direction of a really good meal plan ? Please help?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    First decide if you are on the right calorie level. 1200 calories is for short (under 5') elderly, sedentary women with not much to lose. If you are somewhat active (have a job or kids or go to school), you need more than that. Set up MFP right, to your height, weight, etc, and pick weight loss rate per week to 1% of your current body weight.

So, that sorted, you can basically eat whatever you want. Other people's meal plans don't work for you for the reasons you stated. So you make your own. You have been eating. You will have some idea about what normal meals look like. Eat that. If you feel that you are totally lost and insecure and don't know anything about nutrition, look up "food groups" and USDA. This will show you how to compose meals. Log everything you eat (correctly) in your food diary and hit your calorie goal. That's all it takes.
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am barely 5 ft, I work at a desk and have a 1200 calorie diet. My diary is open if you send me a friend request. I dont have a diet per se but I think I manage well with it.
  • cuadrado12
    cuadrado12 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree that 1200 calories is really low. I am guessing you can bump up your calories a little bit. How tall are you?

What kinds of things do you normally like to eat? Maybe you can still fit them in if you watch your portion sizes. Do you like to cook at all or do you prefer to purchase preprepared foods?
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    First decide if you are on the right calorie level. 1200 calories is for short (under 5') elderly, sedentary women with not much to lose. If you are somewhat active (have a job or kids or go to school), you need more than that. Set up MFP right, to your height, weight, etc, and pick weight loss rate per week to 1% of your current body weight.

Well, just remember that each individual has a body that probably works a little differently than yours. Those calorie ranges are just averages; there are people that live and breathe at each extreme end. I am one of them. 1200 calories is around maintenance for me at my current weight, so losing means keeping my daily calories below that. It's frustrating, but that's the way my body works.
  • Zivvada
    Zivvada Posts: 24 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am 5'2" and started a 1200 calorie diet 2 weeks ago. I have been on the treadmill everyday in that 2 weeks but 1. I have worked up from 3 minutes on 2mph to 90 minutes at 3.5mph (4miles today). I have also been using 2lbs weights while walking. I have only been slightly over my 1200 calories a couple times.I eat Flax and Chai seed once a day and am taking Cinnamon capsules. I don't seem to be losing any weight. I can see the muscle in my legs growing but thats it. Can someone PLEASE tell me what I am doing wrong.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    klglace wrote: »
    I am 5'2" and started a 1200 calorie diet 2 weeks ago. I have been on the treadmill everyday in that 2 weeks but 1. I have worked up from 3 minutes on 2mph to 90 minutes at 3.5mph (4miles today). I have also been using 2lbs weights while walking. I have only been slightly over my 1200 calories a couple times.I eat Flax and Chai seed once a day and am taking Cinnamon capsules. I don't seem to be losing any weight. I can see the muscle in my legs growing but thats it. Can someone PLEASE tell me what I am doing wrong.

It's only been 2 weeks. Be patient.
  • Zivvada
    Zivvada Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Don't people usually lose weight in the beginning and then slow down??
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    klglace wrote: »
    Don't people usually lose weight in the beginning and then slow down??

You probably need to start your own thread for more help.
  • kal900
    kal900 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    my pt told me it was possible i wouldnt see much of a change in the first 4 weeks as your body has to adjust to the new workouts/ diet (been sedentary for last 8 years due to illness and work)
    But mfp has put me on a 1200 cal diet and im coping pretty well it, even losing weight, but am now working out too. I am tall, but over 240lbs so a 2lb a week loss is my aim. I am eating back @ 200 of my earnt calories at times so that I dont have a static calorie intake day to day.. some high some low to keep body guessing.
    Might not be perfect, but im happy its working.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This is my first time actually sticking to a diet....my only problem is, idk any good 1200 calorie diet plans. The plans are either things I hate, or I don't have a good meal plan to follow. So, my question is, can someone please point me in the right direction of a really good meal plan ? Please help?

Don't do a "plan" filled with foods that are unfamiliar, or things you hate. Chances are you're not going to eat those things when you get to goal anyway. To keep the weight off......you need to change something permanently. There is no going back to "eating like normal."

Start by incorporating foods you like. Measure & log portions. Tweak your favorite recipes a bit using recipe websites like skinnytaste.com or cooking light.com. These are tools you can use for a lifetime. You will figure out what is filling for you and what is not. My filling foods are not necessarily your filling foods. This is all a learning experience for us.

1200 is a default minimum before exercise. If you are very petite, or elderly this is about right. KEep in mind when you add exercise you earn more calories.....the point being 1200 is not set in stone. Figure out where you need to be for consistency. Staying the course is the most important thing.
  • akmommac
    akmommac Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try to eat about 1200 a day (though I've set my limit as 1500 so as to give myself some wiggle room). My diary is open if you want to friend me. My meals can be a bit boring, but they work for me with a busy life of kids and a desk job.
  • NickiMazaheri
    NickiMazaheri Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am 5 foot 7 and I eat 1200 calories a day. I don't usually eat back my exercise calories and I feel pretty healthy. I eat a decent amount of food and I pretty much only find myself very hungry when I'm with other people who are eating more than I am. Here is a list of some of the foods I eat:

Chicken: I cook chicken (4oz) with one tablespoon of teriyaki sauce and an onion (100g). This is soo satisfying for me. Altogether this is 165 calories. The only thing is I try not to use too much teriyaki, because it has quite a bit of sodium.

Bagels: They have protein and are very filling, so I don't feel too bad. 260 calories.

Potatoes: I usually boil my potatoes (100g), cut them up and let a slice of american cheese melt on it. 140 calories. And very filling.

Fiberone bars: The ones that are 140 calories are delicious and worth every calorie. The 90 calorie ones suck.

Chocolate Banana Smoothie: Banana (100 g), Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (1 Tbsp), and Fat Free Milk (0.5 cups). This is soo yummy. It normally keeps me away from chocolate if I'm trying. About 150 calories.

However, I usually make room in my day for Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate. I eat 1 bar (1.5 oz). 190 calories.

Drinking water helps keep me filled and lose weight faster. I drink about 200oz a day.

Spinach/Plum juice smoothie: I put spinach (85g) and Sunsweet Plum Start Light Juice (10oz) in the blender. It tastes just like plum juice (which is good for digestion) and has all of the benefits of spinach. (95 calories)

Meatballs: I only shape the ground beef into balls and cook them in Hunt's Garlic and Herb Spaghetti Sauce. I usually only eat the meatballs. I can't get myself to eat pasta too often. I usually supplement with something more interesting to me. Make your calories something you enjoy!

Bread with cheese: Nature's own butter bread (1 slice) with Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese (1 Wedge). 95 calories.

Boiled Eggs: This one is very filling. I only eat it when I'm not craving anything else. Or when I really want the scale to look good the next day. 2 Boiled eggs with salsa. 150 Calories.

Activia Yogurt: 90 calories. I also like the great value ones. I think those ones are only 80 calories and you get more yogurt per cup. I get Acitivia though because it seems to work better on my digestive system.

I don't have the most interesting diet, but it works. In October 2016 I was 162 lbs, today I am 140 lbs. I think I would have lost more by now, but holidays were tough and I got married and immediately went on a 7 day honeymoon. These things slowed me down. :/ But other than that I'm pretty happy with my diet and success so far. I hope it can help a little bit. Sometimes if I'm feeling needy, I buy a candy and soda. Or Taco Bell! Or McDonalds! I get the Power Bowl from Taco Bell (only 480 calories) and soooo yummy and filling. I get a Quarter Pounder Cheeseburger without Ketchup and Mustard (520 calories) and eat a side at home. It's not too difficult to fit these foods into 1200 calories. I just drink more water if I eat out to compensate for the extra salt.

Good luck to you!
  • MollyMS77
    MollyMS77 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is only doable for me if I save plenty of calories for the evening....it helps to know when you're hungrier or tend to want snacks. Personally, I'd have coffee for breakfast (basically skip a meal), eat ~300-350 calorie lunch (say baked chicken, broccoli, an orange or other fruit) and save the rest for supper! Then I can incorporate almost anything (depending on portion size).