What are your top tips?

Options
Hi All,

What are your top 5 weight loss tips for a slimming newbie?

Thanks x

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    1. Buy a food scale
    2. Use the food scale
    3. Use accurate entries
    4. Use the recipe builder
    5. Log everything that passes your lips
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Eat less calories than you burn
    Stick to it
    Eat any foods you like as long as you stick to my first point
    If you want to eat out one day just save a few calories during the week to use
    Don't complicate things
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Eat right, avoid fast food, junk food and keep active.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    1. Sleep (overeaters tend to try to get energy from food)
    2. Log it! Every single morsel.
    3. Water, water and more water.
    4. No restrictions, eat the right portion and balance it the rest of the day.
    5. Take a selfie daily. You'll be able to see your progress. I also take a pic of the cardio workout machine.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    1. #1 priority is your calorie intake, because that's the only thing that matters for weight loss (hitting your needed calorie deficit)

2. Focus on the long term. Lots of people are really good at losing weight, but very few people can maintain their losses for any amount of time. Start thinking about your maintenance plan while you're still in the weight loss phase

3. Do things that are realistic for you. Don't cut out a bunch of foods that you like because Dr. Oz or Oprah told you that you had to. You can continue eating whatever you want, you just need to learn how to fit it into your calorie goals

4. Diet soda isn't going to kill you. Neither is sugar. Or carbs. But kale is evil

5. Look at your monthly weight loss trends instead of daily or even weekly. Look at where you're at the beginning of the month and then compare that with where you're at, at the end of the month. This will give you a better idea of how you're actually doing
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Look for ways to make the process enjoyable
    Eat at a small deficit (presumes you have 25 lbs or less to lose)
    Don't over complicate the process. Focus only on meeting your protein, fibre, nutrition and calorie goals.
    Find cardio you enjoy
    Include strength training
    Persistence is the key. Stumbles and indulgences are meaningless over time.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    For me, personally:
    1. Cut out unplanned snacks. I eat my three meals, have a cup of coffee around 3, and then usually a planned snack before bed.
    2. If I want to eat extra, exercise extra. Walking or kettlebells can earn me calories for a treat or a beer.
    3. Eat vegetables when I'm hungry (I also have lactofermented pickled vegetables, which are excellent at killing my cravings and snacking because they're such a strong flavour, but still super low calorie.) Eat veggies as my appetizer while cooking dinner.
    4. Bike to work. (OK, once the snow melts.)
    5. Diet Bet is a really good motivator for me. I won January, but February still requires much work.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    1. Make this about you. Not an event, occasion or other person.
    2. If you go over your calories get right back on track it will not derail you.
    3. Eat the foods you like with an over all nutrition in mind, but don't restrict foods just limit.
    4. Find a workout you like and start slow even if it's just walking.

Number 5 and my most important is plan for maintenance when losing so the transition is smooth.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily for everyone, but this worked for me

1. Become a student of healthy eating. Try and get away from advertising and into the science of things. Study it, learn how things work, adjust your diet accordingly.
    2. Eat as many natural, unprocessed foods as possible.
    3. Buy a kitchen scale and use it. It's an invaluable resource.
    4. Experiment with your favourite foods to see if you can find healthier and/or lower calorie ways to make them. Remember that things don't have to taste exactly the same, they just have to taste good.
    5. Don't weigh yourself too often and don't worry about the short term ups and downs. You will bounce around, stick to your plan, trust the method and don't change anything in response to minor fluctuations.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    MissteeC87 wrote: »
    Hi All,

What are your top 5 weight loss tips for a slimming newbie?

Thanks x

1. Eat at a calorie deficit.
    2. Eat less calories than you burn.
    3. Burn more calories than you eat.
    4. Buy a food scale, weigh all your food and log every single thing you eat.
    5. Don't give up any foods because you can lose weight eating the foods you love.
  • MissteeC87
    MissteeC87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, some fantastic tips here. I have been following Weight Watchers but I have come to a bit of a standstill as I am bored with it so gonna give this a go as I think it is more sustainable for a life long term.

I have 100lb + to lose xx
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Besides eating within your calorie goal...

1) consume adequate protein
    2) lift weights
    3) get enough fiber
    4) don't try to lose too fast or under eat calories
    5) be disciplined, dedicated, determined, consistent, and PATIENT

Also sleep enough & drink plenty of water.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    - Log everything, no excuses.
    - Avoid large deficits. Slow and steady wins the race.
    - Have little treats regularly.
    - Don't have "forbidden foods", it only makes me want them more.
    - Walk. It's good for you, and those few extra calories can make all the difference.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    1. Be honest. Don't lie to yourself or anyone else about this. Track everything.
    2. Recognize that weight loss is temporary, but staying smaller will be lifelong.
    3. Health is important but its not the ONLY important thing in your life. Stay centered. Live. Enjoy living.
    4. You are worthwhile exactly as you are right now. Your weight does not determine your value.
    5. Losing weight does not have to be painful. You do not need to suffer.

Best wishes!