Snap out of it!

Options
My nutritionist who I started seeing (btw, she reccomended MFP) said she had a client who wore a rubber band around his wrist at all times and when he began to self sabatoge he'd pull the rubber band and let it snap him on the wrist...so he would "snap out of it". I'm trying this. Also, she suggested that at night I make myself a cup of warm tea that helps with sleeping. She said I don't really need the food I've been eating, it's just a habit and a "feel good" but the tea will do the same thing.

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist who I started seeing (btw, she reccomended MFP) said she had a client who wore a rubber band around his wrist at all times and when he began to self sabatoge he'd pull the rubber band and let it snap him on the wrist...so he would "snap out of it". I'm trying this. Also, she suggested that at night I make myself a cup of warm tea that helps with sleeping. She said I don't really need the food I've been eating, it's just a habit and a "feel good" but the tea will do the same thing.

Not sure if srs.
  • momontherun92
    Options
    What great ideas!! I am a late night snacker, which sabotages all my diligence during the day. But a cup of herbal tea before bed would satisfy my "I need to eat something" tendencies but not sabotage my good eating during the day. I love it!! Thanks for sharing.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've heard about this technique since the late 70's. I'm sure it can work if you WANT it to work. Just like anything else, you have to be motivated. Good luck, it can't hurt to try it!
  • DTRTinAZ
    DTRTinAZ Posts: 29
    Options
    I like the rubber band idea. Thanks for sharing.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Eating late at night is irrelevant.
  • KeeleySue
    KeeleySue Posts: 158
    Options

Except if that's when you do your 'bad' eating. The poster said it was when she eats for comfort which probably is what puts her over her calories for the day and sabotages her efforts.

I do the same thing but I don't like tea so that's not really an option for me. Maybe I'll have to try something else to see if it works for me.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

Well, I don't think she's really saying the whole "eating after 7pm is what causes weight gain" crap. Night eating tends to be prime time for overeating/binging (I know this first hand). It's usually carb cravings from being tired, but not able to get to sleep for me.
  • mjhuff1121
    mjhuff1121 Posts: 112
    Options
    I've started working out using a program called WorkoutBOX.com, and the trainer (yes, even tho its online, he really DOES read your training logs and encourage!), Travis, told me to start doing this snap wrist thing when I start thinking negatively... as in i "hate" intervals *snap*, I "hate" running" *snap*, I "can't" do this! *snap*. I wear hair ties on my wrist constantly, so I think I'll start using those instead of an actual rubber band. He thinks that if I learn to stop my negative thoughts, I'll be able to start thinking positively. Worth a shot, maybe? Except, I'm so used to being negative about myself that I don't even realize it anymore, when I am. :/
  • JenniferLynWhat
    Options
    The rubber band is supposed to be part of classical conditioning...The point is, over time you start associating cravings for bad food/late night food with pain. So if you want it to work, it can't be wimpy snaps, it's gotta sting a little. It needs to immediately follow your impulse for food without delay, and it needs to be consistent. Not sure how effective it is to train yourself this way but, the psychological theory is there. There are two schools of thought on this theory though -- The first, that punishment discourages bad behavior. The second, is that punishment doesn't teach you correct behavior and is therefore, inneffective. Some psychologists will say that it is better to reward good behavior than punish bad behavior, because with the reward, you know you've done something right, whereas with the punishment, you only know you've done something wrong.

Maybe do the rubberband to punish poor inpulses and simultaneously give yourself a reward for good ones
  • joejccva71
    Options

Except if that's when you do your 'bad' eating. The poster said it was when she eats for comfort which probably is what puts her over her calories for the day and sabotages her efforts.

I do the same thing but I don't like tea so that's not really an option for me. Maybe I'll have to try something else to see if it works for me.
    Well, I don't think she's really saying the whole "eating after 7pm is what causes weight gain" crap. Night eating tends to be prime time for overeating/binging (I know this first hand). It's usually carb cravings from being tired, but not able to get to sleep for me.

No problem guys. Was just saying. :)
  • Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    Whittards of Chelsea have lovely night time tea and hot chocolate which make me sleep like a baby...i haven't had them since starting on MFP though so not sure of calories...kind of intreigued of the elastic band but i'd just forget i have it!it would certainly wake me up when i'm feeling sleepy at work!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    The rubber band is supposed to be part of classical conditioning...The point is, over time you start associating cravings for bad food/late night food with pain. So if you want it to work, it can't be wimpy snaps, it's gotta sting a little. It needs to immediately follow your impulse for food without delay, and it needs to be consistent. Not sure how effective it is to train yourself this way but, the psychological theory is there. There are two schools of thought on this theory though -- The first, that punishment discourages bad behavior. The second, is that punishment doesn't teach you correct behavior and is therefore, inneffective. Some psychologists will say that it is better to reward good behavior than punish bad behavior, because with the reward, you know you've done something right, whereas with the punishment, you only know you've done something wrong.

Maybe do the rubberband to punish poor inpulses and simultaneously give yourself a reward for good ones

exactly, the pain is suppose to negatively reinforce the negative thoughts, like drooling when you smell food, you'll flinch when you think about eating late at night. it's not a conscious thing, your sub-conscious will adapt to the reinforcement without you even thinking about it. It's classic behavior modification, and I use to use it on a client of mine who had a problem with stealing. When she thought about stealing something, she'd snap the band on her wrist. It works.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I do a version of this. Whenever I feel like snacking/not working out I punch myself in the face 3 times.

I couldn't find a rubber band.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I do a version of this. Whenever I feel like snacking/not working out I punch myself in the face 3 times.

I couldn't find a rubber band.

HAHA!

You'll need aversion therapy for your aversion therapy!