How to start?

Options
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site.
Nearly 50 and need to get fit and want to wear my old clothes again.
Gained most of it over the last 5 years
Tried many times and it goes up and down so does my motivation.
Now at 96kg (what a number) and need to loose 20 kg.

All advice how to start and what to do would be great.
Hope to hear from you out there

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    A good place to start is to log what you are eating now for a couple of weeks to get some data. You can then look back through your food diary to see where you might eat smaller portions of calorie-dense foods and/or make satisfying substitutions.
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Definitely the right place to start is getting into the habit of logging .... once you get a true understanding of your intake you can start to see where to save .... but upping your protein levels vs vs carbs is definitely good for staving off hunger in my experience
  • sbakke52
    sbakke52 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Welcome..the most important tool for weight loss is logging every thing you eat..and I mean everything. Measuring and weighting is critical..it's amazing how what we think we are consuming and what we actually consuming is an eye opener. I know for myself that as we age (I am 64) no matter how much we work out, if we don't cut calories we will not lose. I learned a lot working on weight loss research studies.
  • Maryiswhere86
    Maryiswhere86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    welcome...start by logging everything you eat and drink daily, and move!!! Start by walking and add things in when you start gettign the hang of it, you got this :)
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Everything that people have said above plus I found having a lot of little goals to check of along the way makes things easier.

If you want my whole story and advise you could check out my blog. www.averagejoefit.net
  • Tulip0069
    Tulip0069 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. Have some reading to do on this site to find my way around.
    Gonna do my shopping today (Sat) and will start tomorrow.
    Logging in food and water.
    I hope to follow you all, so motivated.

Am I able to join challenges since I am staying outside America?