HOW DO I GET ABS - I NEED SUCCESS STORIES

Options
2»

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Hey, Ya'll! My husband and I've started a weight loss and fitness challenge. We have a bet for who can get abs before the other. I am NOT in shape. I am exactly 5 foot tall and between 130-140 lbs (the reason I don't know is because I haven't weighed). Any success stories? I would love to win and get those wonderful abs by May-June. Is that possible?

Not to be discouraging but no this is not possible.

However you can use this time to get in the best shape of your lives.
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I know someone, a female, who has been a professional bodybuilder for the last 6 years. She looks amazing! During her training season and her competitions she has VERY well defined muscle tone, I'm not sure what her body fat percentage is at that point but I'm guessing it's very very low. Likely lower than what is generally considered healthy for women.

6 years though and she STILL doesn't have visible 6pack abs. She says she eventually had to come to terms with the realization that she probably never will. She does have a flat stomach though, and she's able to maintain that even in her off season, just no visible abs.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The one time I had noticeable abs was when I had a bmi of around 19 (so very low end of the healthy range), and I was also doing a push-up challenge. Those two combined made my abs pop. Hubby didn't like the look though so it was a short lived thing :p

Here's the challenge I did (free-you just print off the schedule)
    http://hundredpushups.com/
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I am a female with visible abs. I wrote the link in the first post. Having abs comes down to adequate muscle mass and low body fat. There is the genetic component as well. One of my best guy friends has very low body fat, but doesn't have volume in his abs and that means he doesn't have visible abs. I have visible abs even at 24% body fat because I have lots of volume in my ab muscles. I don't do ab work and he does. That really comes down to genetics.

What you can do to try to get there: Start a progressive lifting program, eat adequate protein, maintain a calorie deficit.
  • natester15
    natester15 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    70% of your abs are going to be made in the kitchen the other 30% is going to be hard work and the right types of exercise. You can achieve some pretty nice abs in a decent amount of time depending on how hard you work for them.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Training, some daily routines, and mostly diet. Generally abs can be seen more visibly around 14% bodyfat.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Lose fat and do a progressive lifting program. My abs don't show any definition until I get to 20% body fat and then it's only a 4-pack.