30 Day Shred and Weight Gain

Options
Hello Everyone!

Before I have a weight loss breakdown, I thought I would ask everyone about what happened to me today.

I started the 30 Day Shred on Sunday and I weighed about 178lbs. I have been doing her workout for 4 days... and I sometimes do night time workouts as well. During Jillian's workout I am using 3.3lbs weights (that's all I have at home) and at the gym I do 1 set of my normal exercises with heavier weights. (I was using 5 - 8lbs and doing 3 sets... now I do 1 set with 10 - 12lbs).

Well, today when I hopped on the scale to do a "spot check" I was 181.4lbs! I am really not sure how I should be feeling about this... is it really muscle gain in such a short amount of time? or is my diet crazy? (my diary is public so feel free to take a look.)

I am at a loss right now. Any and all insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    It's more likely that you have water weight gain from muscle repair. Your body uses water to repair and recover your muscles after exercise. Don't quit. Just make sure you're drinking plenty of water each day. Eventually you should see a loss. it just may take some time :-)
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you start a new exercise program, your body retains water. Also, it depends on how close you are to "that time" because I know I can gain up to 5 lbs in water weight from bloating.
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate everyday, and throughout the day. Don't worry if your weight is up today. Wait until Sunday, or whatever day you have scheduled as your weigh-in day.
  • janisbrede
    janisbrede Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't panic...it's muscle! Muscle weighs more than fat. I did the Shred last summer and gained before I lost BUT even better than the eventual weight loss was the tone I witnessed in my legs, arms and abs. It's a great workout, I just started it up again last week. I'm on day 5 and haven't lost or gained yet and I'm combining it with the Couch to 5k walk/jog program. Good luck!
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    do your muscles hurt ? If so they are probably retaining fluid to help them heal.
  • 1luckygal
    1luckygal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am only on day 9 of the shred - but from what threads I have been reading it seems normal to go up and down and up and down in weight until the middle to end of level two when it evens out and most people really start to see results. I myself have seen no real "results" so far - but then again - I'm not even to level two yet. So I would definitely suggest to just stick with it and you'll gain rewards!

Oh! And when new muscles are used they often hold or are surrounded by water - so honestly, don't worry about the scales. I would even possibly only weigh every ten days or not at all until the day 30! Best of luck!!!!
  • boringdanielle
    boringdanielle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I started Mon so today is my 3rd day and I also gained 2 lbs. I have heard that about the body retaining water and it is also "that time" for me, so I am blaming it on that. I know I have seen people have great results with it, so I am going to keep going. I am so sore though I can barely walk!! LOL
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    It is water retention. Your muscles have taken in more water to help in repairing. From what others have said about the Shred weight will go up a couple of lbs, but will reduces around level 3. I would also recommend taking at least 1 day of rest a week to let your muscles repair themselves. I do the Shred but I have not seen weight gain; however, I take at least 1 day to rest (sometimes 2). The goal is not to do the DVD straight through for 30 days (Unless you want to and that is your ultimate goal). It is just to do it for 30 days. So it may be a month and a week or something to that effect. I also do Yoga, six week abs, and Zumba.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    You may want to track your salt a little better. Yes, you are retaining some fluid. It's NORMAL. I'm starting my second round of the 30DS (I did it back in March as well) tonight, and I'm sending my scale off to live with my boyfriend for the next 30 days because I know the crazy things it's going to do to my fluid balance. Give the Shred your all, and eat as healthy as you can while you're doing it. And stay off the scales! :wink:
  • LadyByrd77
    LadyByrd77 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way started doing the Shred on July 4th. I was doing it straight until Sunday because I didnt see any weight loss. I must say have seen some definition in my arms and thighs so I am going to start back today.
  • 1carson
    1carson Posts: 4
    Options
    I started ripped in 30 by Jillian 2 weeks ago. I also am gaining weight. I've been eating really well and doing nothing else different. I feel your frustration. I've stopped doing it for now, but someone told me I am just gaining more muscle.
  • mhoadley
    mhoadley Posts: 27
    Options
    Do worry, you are doing great! Keep up the good work. I went from 181.75 last week to 185 this week and I have improved my eating and exercising. It will come with time. Our bodies need time to adjust.
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    Don`t panic, unless you have been totally binging it is nothing to worry about. Keep your calories on track and eat plenty of lean protein to aid your muscles in recovering (seriously, I am on L1D6 and protein has been a godsend for helping with the sore muscles). Remember, the only way to gain real weight is to have excess calories: 3500 excess calories for every pound gained. Unless you have been sitting and eating sugar cookies every day, all day since you started the Shred, it is just your body adjusting to the new stress on it and is only temporary. Keep up the good work and don`t be discouraged.
  • stacymariegurl
    Options
    THANK YOU GUYS SOOOO MUCH!

I did not know that muscles retain water when you change up your routine. I am definitely going to keep at it for the long hall. I am writing about my experience on my blog (www.workitoutgurl.blogspot.com).

Thanks again my MFP friends!

<3