Hard without support!!!

Options
So my fiance is basically the only person who supports me on my getting healthier quest. I've lost 9 lbs so far and want to lose at least 8, possibly 13, more. These are the hardest to drop because there really isn't much left, so I am having to work extra hard and watch what I eat even more closely. But nobody aside from my fiance seems to understand. Everybody else is just like "Oh you're already small enough *insert fatty food* won't kill you" or "It's not healthy to be so small". I'm really not that small, I'm 5' tall and 123 lbs. When I was in high school I was 103 lbs! So I know I've been smaller than I am now. This last weekend I had a bridal shower and my aunts sent home a whole bunch of cake!!! I tried to tell them no thank you I wouldn't eat it if it was at our house and then they started in on the whole losing weight thing again. I ended up with a bunch of cake. Ugh. I made fiance take it to work with him because I knew all those guys would eat it up! But still, I had to sit and stare at a plate of cake all weekend. Then a lady at work who is bigger is constantly eating fatty foods and she sits right in front of me. One day I was eating carrots and she made some comment about how "It must be nice to be so small and here I am eating nasty carrots, did I want a cookie?" No thanks I said, so then she starts in on how I don't have to worry and it isn't going to hurt it's just one. I know people say it's good to treat yourself once in awhile, and I do, but I don't very often because I can't stop once I start. So it really is easier for me to just not do it at all. While it's nice that they think I look good right now, it's frustrating that they can't support what I am still trying to do!

Replies

• jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    it should only matter that your fiance is there to support you, let people think what they want, they are always going to be haters no matter what, keep up the good work and good luck with the rest of the weight loss =)
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Although I have much more to lose than you, I can relate to having to justify and defend what you eat. I work in a corporate office and there are constant pressures to conform...when all else failed, I claimed to have food allergies. When people heard that, they backed off.
    In reality, I suppose I do have a junk food allergy, my body reacts badly when I put the wrong foods in. Hang in there!!
  • MerA822
    MerA822 Posts: 43
    Options
    i can understand you as i have almost the same problem , the most important thing to set your goal in front of you & keep focusing , & if you lost control at any time don't let go & keep moving .

Good Luck
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    People sort of do it around me, but I have been doing it for so long, that they rarely give me grief...

It really has nothing to do with you, I sure hope you realize that, It is all about their own self esteem issues..

They look at your self control munching on some "nasty carrots" lol and they think, if only I had the power to eat healthy, then I wouldn't feel so bad about myself. And then they offer you a cookie and tell you it wont kill you, NOT because they are truely concerned about you, but rather, they would feel better about themselves if you were eating a cookie along with them

Same goes with all of the different situations, It has NOTHING to do with you, and EVERYTHING to do with them.
  • mattbryan
    mattbryan Posts: 147
    Options
    It really has nothing to do with you, I sure hope you realize that, It is all about their own self esteem issues..

100% dead on

Realize that by making good choices in front of others, you're quietly encouraging them to do the same. Even though you are not chosing to lead, you're effectively doing so by example! Keep up the good work!!!