How do you count egg whites??

Options
I've resorted to seeing a nutritionist as being on here for a year has caused me to really stall out.. I clearly need to explore more in the veggies and egg department, and I'm new to this whole eating egg whites, I just don't know how to count them?

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    They're in the food database.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I buy the carton of eggs whites and measure then as a liquid.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A tablespoon of egg white is just over 15 grams or 0.5 oz. That's about one egg white.
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I use tablespoons
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    You can weigh them, too.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I use whole eggs and chuck the yolks - there's entries for egg whites for different sized eggs in the database
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

I use cartons too...makes me feel less guilty about ditching the yolks. My carton has a grams measurement on it so I just weigh it on my food scale.
  • cloverdaisy
    cloverdaisy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I weigh them and log them as boiled egg whites by grams.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If I use egg whites, I buy them in a carton.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

I use cartons too...makes me feel less guilty about ditching the yolks. My carton has a grams measurement on it so I just weigh it on my food scale.

This is what I do. Very easy and no measuring cups to wash.
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options

This is what I do too. If the store is sold out of cartons I buy whole eggs and separate them, using the nutritional information from the cartons I have saved in my recent entries.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I use whole eggs and chuck the yolks - there's entries for egg whites for different sized eggs in the database

Why would you throw away the yolks when carton egg whites exist?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

Because the packaged egg whites available in Australia are made from cage chicken eggs. I'd rather buy free range eggs and separate them. I also find the texture to be weird.

When we holidayed in the US, I bought carton egg whites as they had free range and organic ones available, it was great
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    carton and measure - 46g of egg whites is about 5g of protein
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If I use egg whites, I buy them in a carton.

^ This. And weigh them on a food scale.
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Because the packaged egg whites available in Australia are made from cage chicken eggs. I'd rather buy free range eggs and separate them. I also find the texture to be weird.

When we holidayed in the US, I bought carton egg whites as they had free range and organic ones available, it was great

This made me go to my fridge to make sure my cartons are from free range chooks....phew! panic averted..free range it is.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Weigh them in grams and then search for 'Usda - Egg, White, Raw, Fresh - 01124' in the database as that entry has been entered using the USDA website information and (at least as of this moment) is accurate.

w8bledcnsj14.jpg
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    On my fingers :p
  • teicu1
    teicu1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Advance apologies for going off the subject of your thread, but.... I tried doing egg whites, but I just couldn’t hack them. I moved into doing “Egg Beaters” (original) and I scramble them for breakfast 2 to 4x/week. They aren’t the equal of real whole eggs, but they aren’t bad. IMO, edible (which I don’t count egg whites as being) and the nutrition info is good--no cholesterol, low sodium, no carbs, moderate protein... If it wasn’t for Egg Beaters, I’d be living an egg-free life. The EB product line also includes an Egg White product for those who want to do that.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    teicu1 wrote: »
    Advance apologies for going off the subject of your thread, but.... I tried doing egg whites, but I just couldn’t hack them. I moved into doing “Egg Beaters” (original) and I scramble them for breakfast 2 to 4x/week. They aren’t the equal of real whole eggs, but they aren’t bad. IMO, edible (which I don’t count egg whites as being) and the nutrition info is good--no cholesterol, low sodium, no carbs, moderate protein... If it wasn’t for Egg Beaters, I’d be living an egg-free life. The EB product line also includes an Egg White product for those who want to do that.

A little bit of trivia. You are doing egg whites. The main ingredient in Egg Beaters Original IS egg whites, they just add beta carotene to give it the 'whole egg' orange color. I just looked at the store brand in my fridge and the first ingredient is listed as egg whites (98%). But the important thing is that for some reason you can eat egg whites that have been dyed orange easier than when they are straight from an egg. :smile: