Needing Inspiration.. Beginner

Options
So I'm starting my weightloss Journey I've lost 11lbs and seem to be stuck. I have two small children and a husband weighing in at 113.. I really want to get fit and feel and look better... Plz give some tips...

Replies

• heatherjolly92
    heatherjolly92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thought I would add I weigh 241 with a current goal of 165.....
  • beckty
    beckty Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    These success stories are a HUGE inspiration for me personally. I read every day. The how to is really pretty simple math. Eat fewer calories than you burn and you'll get there. What did you do to lose the first 11? Sounds like an excellent start!
  • heatherjolly92
    Options
    Well I just started eating a little better and trying to exersize I have dieted before lost a little and always gained it back I really just have to find a way to stay focused...
  • katycapp
    katycapp Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree that checking out this success board will help you get motivation when you can't muster it yourself. Remind yourself that a small setback is just that, a set back. The trick is to get back on the plan as soon as you realize you drifted. You are worth this!

PS I started a little more than you did and my goal is similar to yours. In 6 1/2 months I have lost 47 pounds by sticking to MFP (most of the time).
  • laceyslabaugh
    laceyslabaugh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I agree that reading these boards and asking questions is a HUGE help! It gives me ideas and helps me stay motivated and focused.

I started on January 25th and have lost 5 lbs to date. Literally just by sticking to my calorie goal. I will begin walking this weekend. I have never been a fan of exercising and after working all day and taking care of a house and a toddler, I just don't have it in me. I started at 161 and my goal is 132. I have 24 lbs to go. I just keep telling myself that I want to look good this summer and be comfortable - and my middle daughter graduates h.s. in May and I would love to show up "thinner" :)
  • heatherjolly92
    Options
    katycapp wrote: »
    Definitely agree that checking out this success board will help you get motivation when you can't muster it yourself. Remind yourself that a small setback is just that, a set back. The trick is to get back on the plan as soon as you realize you drifted. You are worth this!

PS I started a little more than you did and my goal is similar to yours. In 6 1/2 months I have lost 47 pounds by sticking to MFP (most of the time).

That is amazing congrats.
  • heatherjolly92
    Options
    jruck371 wrote: »
    I'm going to say some things that might be unpopular here.. but its what helped me go from 170 lbs to 130lbs in 2 years and keep it off:

1.Habits
    Habits take 3 weeks up to 52 weeks to form.
    If you want to make calorie counting, exercise, or anything else a habit you need to stick with it and keep coming back to it when you fall off the wagon. I was not always motivated to go to the gym, but in the beginning I made a pact with myself during weeks when I didn't want to go to the gym but knew I needed to in order to meet my goals that if I hated the exercise I could quit after 3 weeks of dragging my butt to the gym. It never happened. and now I feel weird if I don't go after work :)

a note on this as well: focus on one habit forming at a time- if you are new to calorie counting, start there. You can add in exercise as well, but focus on forming 1 small change at a time and sticking to it before building on it and adding something new. Change is good! too much change can be overwhelming

2. Grit
    There are going to be times you will not be inspired.There are going to be setbacks on your journey, accepting this sooner rather then later is key to keeping weight off. There are going times when you go over your calories, vacations, days miss your workout, weeks you gain weight. The ability to bounce back will be your best friend here. If you mess up be kind to yourself, forgive yourself and get back on track asap. Its tempting to throw a day, weekend, or week away because you messed up but if you want to be successful long term you need to learn how to forgive, forget and make better choices at your next meal, or day at the gym. Also on this- there are going to be times you don't want to eat healthy or workout. For me, I do these things:
    -With food: I tell myself I can have it if I still want it after 20 min of waiting or ask if I am hungry for an apple, if yes then I'm probably actually hungry, if no I'm either looking for emotional comfort or bored or have a serious craving
    -with working out: I make a pact with myself that I will go to the gym and change into my clothes. If I still want to go home after that then I can

Freakanomics just did a really good podcast on Grit and how to form it- I highly recommend it

3. Find movements you like doing
    Not everyone wants to go to the gym day in and day out. While most people will recommend exercise to help with appetite control and weight loss, find a way you enjoy moving! Zumba, dance, weight lifting, running, walking, biking, swimming are all awesome ways to get out there and work up a sweat!

4. Find good weight loss inspiration While Instagram is a great source to look at transformation pics, bikini models, NPC pros and healthy living inspiration, be VERY careful looking at these sites! (I learned this the hard way). Many of these photos are photoshopped or altered and can distort your body image of what you "should" look like. If you click on a profile and it says "online trainer" or has a contact button RUN FAR FAR AWAY. Their photos are basically propaganda at this point- made to draw you in to their cause. You don't need a meal plan from them, calorie counting is a scientifically proven way to lose weight and you get to choose what you want to eat which is huge in long term success- one cannot live off of broccoli and chicken alone.

I LOVE the pod casts by Lift like a girl and Molly Galbraith- there are some amazing knowledge packed into those and they have some very knowledgeable people on their episodes. Jill Coleman is another great resource (I found her listening to the lift like a girl podcast) as is Lift like a girl, Avatar Nutrition, and Body for Wife:

http://mollygalbraith.com/
    http://jillfit.com/
    http://www.niashanks.com/
    http://www.bodyforwife.com/

5. Nutrition
    Full disclosure- I am not a dietitian, this is really from trial and error. Any extreme diet that tells you to cut out entire food groups (ie gluten, dairy, sugar.... I could go on) shouldn't be where you start. Unless you are allergic to these foods you do not need to avoid them- especially in the beginning! Focus on moderation though, especially when it comes to sugar.
    Start to listen to your body- I struggle with emotional eating vs eating when I'm actually hungry. Starting to tap into my emotions through journaling, meditation, breathing, and awareness really helped me realize when I was actually hungry vs eating my emotions. A good way to start is just to start naming the emotions that come up when you eat with no judgement- Jill Coleman has some really good articles on how to start this on her blog

6. Enjoy the ride
    Having an end goal is awesome, but its the day to day that matters- focus on the process, and making the process enjoyable for you because if you want the changes to stick you are really in search of a lifestyle change, not a diet.
    Everyone who lost the weigh was at the start at some point in their journey. The key is to put one foot in front of the other day after day until one day you can look back and say "wow, look at how far I came!"

Thanks for the honesty I enjoy the supportive comments but I love what will really work!!!
  • my3bebas
    my3bebas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What made a big difference for me was taking pictures, and measurements. I don't go by the scale, which can be your best friend one day, your worst enemy the next.

• heatherjolly92
    Options
    my3bebas wrote: »
    What made a big difference for me was taking pictures, and measurements. I don't go by the scale, which can be your best friend one day, your worst enemy the next.

I believe that I have a very bad habit of constantly weighing myself more than once a day
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    There are LOTS of people here who have lost lots of weight and many of us that have lost over 100 pounds, some much more. There really is no secret to it. Budget your calories and count them accurately and the weight will come off. Find foods that give you a decent portion size for your calories and keep you satisfied (usually protein and fiber) and controlling your calories will be much easier. Don't let yourself be overwhelmed. Just take it one day at a time and before you know it, those days will add up and so will the pounds lost. You absolutely can do this.
  • ekerst
    ekerst Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you scroll on this board, I just wrote a post about saying yes a whole year. I have four kids 6 and under. I've lost almost 82 pounds this year ( so far ) by using MFP, working out, drinking lots of water and getting a good night's sleep. But there's no secret -eat less, move more. Hard work, but worth it! You can do it! And be proud of those 11 pounds!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!