"Diet" Icee or Slushie. Is there such a thing? Is there a way to make my own?

Options
With this lovely weather in Missouri, I'm finding myself craving a giant cherry icee. In the good old days I could suck down a giant one and think nothing of it. These days, a satisfying portion of cherry icee/slushie or any other slushie would really take a huge chunk out of my 1200 calories that I start with before exercise.

I did some research and was shocked that there is currently no sort of diet slushie or icee. I guess 7 eleven tried, but the fake sugar just doesn't freeze well. It appears sonic used to have diet cherry slush, but it's not on their menu anymore either. I have had no luck finding anywhere that sells this online. Disappointing for sure. I would do any sort of flavor, not necessarily cherry!

Anyone seen anything like this? Or have an idea on how to make one on my own?

I fear I may be resigned to just having one on a cheat day, but it would be cool to find a substitute I could incorporate more often.

Thank you!

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You can buy a basic slushie machine for under $100. I suppose you could then make them with diet soda and have them be calorie-free.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Sonic has a diet cherry limeade. It's slushy and really good. It's not zero calories though, more like 30 depending on size.
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I love Slushies! I know our Sonic here will make any flavor you ask for into a frozen drink, including diet sodas. The trick is finding a diet soda with a good flavor, because asking them to add the syrup (my favorite is a blueberry ANYTHING) may add unwanted calories.

I've also had luck buying frozen fruit and blending it with just enough plain water into a nice consistency. The bad part is I have four kiddos who always seem to get more than their fair share whenever I make these :p Some fruits tend to be "seedy", so keep that in mind if you try this.

I recently had some accidental luck freezing water with MiO flavor concentrate. I really wanted that particular flavor and blended up the chunks of flavored ice with a little more water. It wasn't a classic slush, but it was really good.

I hope some of these ideas are helpful in your Slushie quest :)
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    What I do which doesn't mimic a slushie completely but its a healthier version... I take some sugar free drink mix usually one of those water bottle packets. Throw it in a blender with some frozen fruit, something that compliments the flavor your using. So Say fruit punch ill throw in pineapple and a berry mix frozen. Blend it together with a bottle of water till its in a slush form. Usually do a serving of each which is about 140g however you may need to change the amount of water you use.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    7-11 sells a diet Coke slushee.

I'd totally want one but we have none here :disappointed:
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Our 7-11s always have one diet flavor. Diet lemonade and diet soda are the ones I remember.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    7-11 in aus has diet slushies.... Ive never had one, so don't know if the texture is the same, but I don't think artificial sweetened liquids freeze in same way as sugar sweetened ones.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I usually get the smallest size and either dump atleast half or share with someone
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yum! Thank you everyone for these suggestions! I definitely plan on checking out sonic and seeing what they can do for me! These are all awesome ideas to help get my slushie fix!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i have bcaa powder that i use occasionally. when it was really really hot last summer, i'd freeze it into ice-cubes and then slushify those in my monster blender.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I've seen crystal light slushees
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    you didnt like the 7/11 ones? I love the diet coke slushie!
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    you didnt like the 7/11 ones? I love the diet coke slushie!

I haven't ever seen the Diet Coke slushie at 7/11. Google told me that they don't have it anymore. I'm going to check it out when I go back home for spring break since there are no 7/11s around here!
  • halizabeth
    halizabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I process fresh fruit in my processor and then freeze it... eat it frozen with a spoon or thaw it a bit for a slushy drink..... maybe not what you're looking for. You can also freeze any drink and do the same thing, diet juice or soda perhaps.