Help! What diet is best??

Options

Replies

• starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    There is no one size fits all. What works for some people might not work for you.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I like mostly clean eating mixed with IIFYM (tracking macros) and counting calories. But I make room for chocolate and some other treats in there too.

+1 This is how I do things as well. Having the ability to have a few treats makes it very easy
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Eating in moderation few times a day and being active is the key. No matter how good the food is, excess is bad. Low carb is ok but you wouldn't want to have low every day especially when you workout. Plus you don't want to tax your body. Avoid having too much fast foods, junk and you would be fine.
  • kaizaku
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    kaizaku wrote: »
    Eating in moderation few times a day and being active is the key. No matter how good the food is, excess is bad. Low carb is ok but you wouldn't want to have low every day especially when you workout. Plus you don't want to tax your body. Avoid having too much fast foods, junk and you would be fine.
    No food is a bad food, saying to not eat XYZ is unfair to someone who WANTS to eat XYZ, because there's nothing wrong with it. You may choose to eat a certain diet of foods, and that's a personal choice and one someone else may find unsustainable.
    Fast food may net you too many calories if you're not careful, and surely sodium you may not normally intake, but that's offset in a few days. Low carb is fine in a general context, it depends on the workout.

I'll agree with you on moderation though if meaning in the context "don't eat the entire gallon of ice cream, just have a serving that still fits in your calories". I'm not a model of health, but I eat out once and again and have ice cream, cookies, and chips and I still loose weight because I make sure I don't go over calories. There would likely be several dead bodies if I didn't get to fit those foods in (when I want and can).

Eating too much of anything is not good for you. I didn't say not to eat xyz. You have misread.

• kaizaku
    Options
    best diet is the one you can maintain for the rest of your life.

Your comment is flawed too. That is the best you can offer? You didn't answer the op q. But I couldn't care less since that is your opinion.
  • kaizaku
    edited February 2017
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    best diet is the one you can maintain for the rest of your life.

Your comment is flawed too. That is the best you can offer? You didn't answer the op q. But I couldn't care less since that is your opinion.

Here is my final reply to this.

Your suggestion that limiting junk food and take out food would make someone "fine" does not make sense.
    It makes even less sense when you then say that too much of anything isn't good for you.
    Why single out junk and fast food in one post if your apparent general consensus is that all foods need to be eaten in moderation. As i pointed out in my post fast food menus can be easily fit into a calorie goal and junk food is no different either, the OP has her own lifestyle, she may love her sweets, so my advice on "The best diet is the one you can maintain for the rest of your life" isn't flawed because that tells her that her calorie goal is her calorie goal and what she chooses to do with her calories is her choice, if she wants to eat take out and junk food 1,2,3 or 7 days a week that is her call but at least with my advice im not telling her that she needs to avoid too much of one or the other, because i want her to feel like her lifestyle, whatever it may be can work to help her lose weight and reach her goal.

And lastly, My original post debating yours was in no way immature.
    To personally attack my looks and my intent shows what absolute lack of character you have.
    In the end the only one showing immaturity out of the two of us tonight was you.
    Have a nice night.

Your confused.
  • deneenae
    deneenae Posts: 97 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    No food is a bad food except straight margarine or crisco (because of the trans fat... there is no redeeming quality about trans fat). They (as in food companies) have been getting better at reducing the trans fat with their chemistry mumbo-jumbo, tho. haha!

And you really can't argue that cake is "healthier" than wholesome foods. The level of health in a certain is determined by it's nutrient density. Wholesome foods have tons of vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc while cake doesn't. If you want to argue that a certain amount of cake is the same calories as certain amount of fruits, then ok. Calories are calories, just a measure of energy provided. It's fine if you want to eat at deficit in the form of cake/processed foods if your sole goal is to lose weight, but to claim it's just as healthy as wholesome foods is a far-reaching claim.

If you want long-term health and a properly functioning body, I'd recommend cake and other processed foods in moderation with wholesome foods as your everyday foods. Limiting fast food is a do-able thing to undertake to avoid extra calories and that is why people recommend that strategy. It's a legitimate strategy. I didn't see anywhere in kaizaku's post to avoid certain foods. He was recommending moderation. It seems like you guys are debating over the same thing with the same end-goal, but somehow it's just not bridging.
  • deneenae
    deneenae Posts: 97 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @Look_Its_Kriss I appreciate your experience and your enthusiasm to help others, However, I take a broader look at nutrition and health rather than focusing on CICO, so that's where my posts come from. I've met many "skinny/normal BMI" persons who drink a 12-pack of soda a day and are diagnosed with everything under the sun... diabetes, heart disease, metabolic syndrome... etc. I'm sure they are taking in enough calories in soda to maintain their body weight, but isn't there room for improvement?

And I agree; personalizing debate is poor form. We can debate in a respectful manner without resorting to bashing. MFP should be a safe place.
  • MadDogParty
    MadDogParty Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    US News has a pretty good synopsis of top diets:

http://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/press-room/articles/2017-01-04/us-news-reveals-best-diets-rankings-for-2017

My qualifications/expertise to give advice = None. I spent my entire adult life eating what I wanted in excess and got huge. Last 4+ months due to some personal goals (I need to get in shape to enjoy early retirement and take care of a sick loved one) have lost 40 pounds. This doesn't make me an expert but I do have an opinion.

My opinion: Determine if you have any specific goals. If your goal is Just weight loss than CI/CO works. If your goals include other things (training for sport, health, etc) there may be more appropriate food lifestyles for you.

In my case I have heart disease, diabetes and dementia running in my family and am blessed to have no symptoms/indications yet so I have adopted a real/clean/whole (what ever the label is) food diet (my own interpretation of Mediterranean, Dash and Mind diets) to increase my chances of staying healthy. I keep it flexible and not to stringent to increase my chance of success and with in this framework watch CI/CO closely to lose weight.

I agree making sure what ever you do is not to stringent and fits in your lifestyle while meeting your goals is the best option.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    No diet. Eat right, drink right, exercise and sleep well. Done.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. The diet that works best for you may not work best for everybody else.

For me, a celiac with other autoimmune issues, and insulin resistance that is not obesity linked, a diet that is gluten free and very low carb high fat is the healthiest diet. I have yet to find another woe that improves my health and helps me lose weight like a ketogenic diet that is based on whole foods.

Others thrive on moderation. That woe was slowly killing me. Everyone needs to find their own path.
  • ajoseph5
    ajoseph5 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The best diet is the one that will be a lifestyle change for you that you can do long term.