Whats 5:2 ???

Been hearing good things about it but not sure what it is exactly...
Thx

Replies

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Its a program that works on the principles of intermittent fasting. You eat your TDEE calories for 5 days of the week and for two (non consecutive) days you eat 500 calories at the end of a 24 he fast. Meaning that if you were going to so a fast day on Monday, you would eat your normal TDEE calories on Sunday and stop at maybe dinner time 6 pm. Then you eat nothing until Monday at 6pm when you could have a 500 cal dinner. You can watch the documentary online by the guy who wrote the book - it examines the health benefits of fasting. I think it's called Eat Fast and Live Longer. Im currently following the program myself , although since I'm mostly just interested in the weight loss aspects, I space my 500 calories throughout the day in two small meals. Im loving it personally! The weight loss aspect is just because you create a Deficit like anything else, but many people enjoy the added health benefits from the fasting aspect of it. I think there is a group on MFP of people who are doing it if you want to search for it .
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    this is actually nothing new and has been used for centuries in the islamic faith. fasting dawn to sundown MOn & Thursdays and eating regularly the other days. things only become popular when they are mainstreamed -
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Fasting dawn to sundown and then eating 5000 calories ?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/

I found it really good and helped me achieve a sensible and sustainable calorie deficit over the course of a week.
    There's a couple of 5:2 groups on here.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited February 2017
    Some do really well with it, others not so much lol. I did a stricter version of it for my weight loss phase (ADF), and then used 5:2IF during the transition period between my weight loss phase and maintenance (still lost during this time, just at a slower rate). I now do another version of IF as part of my maintenance plan :)