Bikram Yoga is awesome!!!

Options
BEERRUNNER
BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
I survived Bikram Yoga last night!!!! man was it hot and I felt dizzy at times....I can say that it is as hard a physical thing I have ever done! 90 minutes of yoga in a 105 temp room! Kraaaazzzyyyy I was soaked in sweat........dripping sweat all over my body! not too easy when you are 6'0 230 lbs! But im doing it again next week :)
I can see how some people swear by this as a way to stay lean............its a gut check!

who else has done this?

shake and bake!

Replies

• MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I LOVE BIKRAM!!! It's seriously AMAZING! Where else can you work up such a sweat!
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE that a guy is admitting he loves yoga! :) and you're in Chicago!! I just started taking Bikram Yoga classes in Naperville, it's so intense!! :)
  • marisa_munches
    Options
    I've always wanted to try Bikram yoga. After reading how much you liked it, I'm going to start looking for deals in my area. :)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    i'm doing hot yoga tonight! It's vinyasa tho..
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I love reading this! I'm a Bikram instructor, I totally agree. I think it's the best workout ever, and I'm happy to answer any questions people may have about it! I often have "tough guys" - athletes, football players, military men, firefighters - tell me it's the hardest thing they've ever done.

When I first started doing Bikram (9 years ago) I dropped 30 pounds like nothing. Best shape of my life!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Bob Harper's Weight Loss Yoga DVD for a while now and really like it - makes me feel strong! I've read reviews that say it's not "real" yoga, though. for those of you who have done it, what type would you classify it as? Whether it's "real" or not, I definitely think I'm benefitting from it - I'm getting stronger and more flexible, which is what I wanted.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Love me some Bikram. I may need to go back soon!
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    I love reading this! I'm a Bikram instructor, I totally agree. I think it's the best workout ever, and I'm happy to answer any questions people may have about it! I often have "tough guys" - athletes, football players, military men, firefighters - tell me it's the hardest thing they've ever done.

When I first started doing Bikram (9 years ago) I dropped 30 pounds like nothing. Best shape of my life!

Indeed it is one of the hardest things I have done physically! Mind oyu its my FIRST time doing Yoga in 105 degree temp!
    the feeling I can COMPARE it to after finishing the 90 m inute session is to what I felt after crossing the finish line of the 1/2 marathon I ran last year in the august heat.
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    I've always wanted to try Bikram yoga. After reading how much you liked it, I'm going to start looking for deals in my area. :)

Do it you wont regret it!
  • BEERRUNNER
    Options
    3rd class today! Hopefully I dont pass out! hahahahaha I did notice something last week when I went for my jog the day after bikram yoga......My breathing was superb!!!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Bikram since January and I love it! It is indeed the hardest thing you'll ever do. Funniest thing that happened is when the instructor was saying don't have anything to drink immediately before or after camel, and one girl did and vomited like a waterfall! She only let her go outside to clean herself up and she had to go straight back in to complete the class. That's one to remember, I'm so glad I wasn't right next to her!

GG
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I've been going to bikram for about 3 months now. I looooove it!

I do find parts of it gimicky and Mr. Bikram is a a marketing genius which makes it hard for me to get 100% behind every little trademarked part of the practice... but it's a great workout, I like the routine and love the heat!
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about signing up for 3 classes with a friend at this local place I've only heard great things about. But I have to say I'm a litttle nervous....okay ALOT nervous! I think I'll seriously pass out! Got to get over that fear..
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about signing up for 3 classes with a friend at this local place I've only heard great things about. But I have to say I'm a litttle nervous....okay ALOT nervous! I think I'll seriously pass out! Got to get over that fear..

GO. Enjoy and have fun - you won't pass out if you've had enough to eat that day and drink water before you go (but not too much too closely!).

If I can do it, ANYONE can.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I tried it and I definitely wasn't ready...couldn't do the poses, etc. And it's miserably hot. I mean, the heat index is 149 in those rooms. I did have to meditate the last 10 minutes to focus on not puking, LOL.

That said, having done it made me feel like I accomplished something huge. So, it felt good in that regard. Even if I felt majorly sick the rest of the day, LOL.
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I tried it and I definitely wasn't ready...couldn't do the poses, etc. And it's miserably hot. I mean, the heat index is 149 in those rooms. I did have to meditate the last 10 minutes to focus on not puking, LOL.

That said, having done it made me feel like I accomplished something huge. So, it felt good in that regard. Even if I felt majorly sick the rest of the day, LOL.

Not being able to do all of the poses is completely normal, especially at first! The first 3-5 classes you are just trying to figure out what is going on - if you make it back, make sure you take it easy and don't push yourself too hard :) And yes, the heat is miserable, and yes, feeling like you've overcome adversity is good for the soul. :)
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Not being able to do all of the poses is completely normal, especially at first! The first 3-5 classes you are just trying to figure out what is going on - if you make it back, make sure you take it easy and don't push yourself too hard :) And yes, the heat is miserable, and yes, feeling like you've overcome adversity is good for the soul. :)

Yeah, but i'm not like 3-5 classes away from doing the poses. I'm more like 3-5 years away from doing the poses. Let's just say I was at least 75-100 pounds heavier than any person in the room, even the other newbies. I can't even do a lot of teh poses in a regular ol' non-hot yoga 101. So, it was a bit much for me.

I plan on going back in a few months, once I've dropped more weight and am more flexible and stronger from regular yoga and exercise.
  • Rhondast
    Rhondast Posts: 93
    Options
    I've been doing a form of bikram for a month and a half. i love it, It's called "Gentle Hot yoga", and is done in a 95 degrees room with 40% humidity. i do it three times a week, and they couple it with pilates before. I've not lost weight (that is to come, I've been 965% vegan for 3 weeks, and feel great!) I'm toning up wonderfully. It's time for me to sign up for more classes, and I'm doing it. Actually, that is wrong, I've lost 5 pounds, and my waist went from 33 down to 27 in a couple of weeks time. I do it Monday, Wednesday and Saturday morning. On Thursdays, though, i feel tired. I didn't have any coconut water last night, and I think that is why.
  • Rhondast
    Options

It is tough. I'm finally able to do a decent bow position. King Dancer, ugh....everyone else can do it, I keep looking for a ballet barr, but only have the wall. There is nothing more physical I've ever done but this. I wish i had known it was available years ago.
  • Rhondast
    Options

Yeah, but i'm not like 3-5 classes away from doing the poses. I'm more like 3-5 years away from doing the poses. Let's just say I was at least 75-100 pounds heavier than any person in the room, even the other newbies. I can't even do a lot of teh poses in a regular ol' non-hot yoga 101. So, it was a bit much for me.

I plan on going back in a few months, once I've dropped more weight and am more flexible and stronger from regular yoga and exercise.

Me too, several classes away, or years away from doing those balance poses. Planks and boats and downward dogs kill me.