Lose 45lbs By May.

monbrow17
monbrow17 Posts: 1 Member
To lose weight is hard work, can be discouraging, but with help we can do it together! Let's get started!

Replies

• mstephens1990
    mstephens1990 Posts: 1 Member
    More than a pound a day? 20 sounds hard 45 sounds unhealthy
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    The most weight people should lose in a week is about 2 pounds. That would be about half of what your current goal is. Your goal to lose 45 pounds by May is going to leave you frustrated and disappointed. Try setting a goal that is realistic and making a plan on how to accomplish that. SMART goals are more likely to be achieved (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, time-based).
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    That may or may not be a healthy goal. Are you talking about May 1? How much do you have to lose?

1-2 lbs a week is healthy weight loss if you have a lot of weight to lose but as you get closer to your goal or if you don't have a lot to lose that may be really ambitious and unsustainable in the long run.

I'm not saying don't try it but understand that crash diets don't work. In my experience (and I've been up and down a lot with my own weight) counting calories and being active, and losing weight slowly allowing your mindset to change as you go along are the keys to success.

Good luck in your your journey.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Even if the goal is the end of May that's 14 weeks or a max of 28 pounds. If someone has over 100 pounds to lose and is aiming for loss more than 2 pounds per week they need to talk to their doctor.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to provide a brief explanation for locking this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found in our Eating Disorder Resources page.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Alex
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.