Out of steam and breathless after 1 lap of a small pool please help!!!

Options
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    How long have you been swimming? I only started less than 3 years ago, and felt the same way. It was due to poor form, inefficiency, a madly fast kick, among other things, lol. If you're returning to swimming and you know that your technique is good, maybe slow down? Otherwise, just keep at it. I struggled for the first year and a half with doing an activity that put me out of breath, but forced my face into the water at regular intervals. I'm still not sure why I stuck with it. Most likely it was the great folks in the swimming group... ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Fitness is something that is developed over time with practice. When I started cycling, I didn't just come out of the gate riding every day and logging hundreds of miles...I built up to that over the course of months...and now years.
  • JennyHsavage
    JennyHsavage Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Fitness is something that is developed over time with practice. When I started cycling, I didn't just come out of the gate riding every day and logging hundreds of miles...I built up to that over the course of months...and now years.

I run and cycle road and mountain bike I'm quite for but my heart pounds in the water, maybe try a lake as I'm always conscious of bumping into people in the pool
  • JennyHsavage
    Options

I run, cycle road and mountain bike I'm quite fit but my heart pounds in the water, maybe try a lake as I'm always conscious of bumping into people in the pool

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I run and cycle road and mountain bike I'm quite for but my heart pounds in the water, maybe try a lake as I'm always conscious of bumping into people in the pool

Is swimming something new to you? If so, it's just going to take practice. I can ride all day and in the water I'm basically a fish...but I don't run...if I went out for a run, I'd struggle despite the fact that I'm pretty fit...because I don't practice it.

Slow down...controlled strokes. Are you in a lap lane?
  • JennyHsavage
    Options
    Yes but it's pretty crowded and I'm afraid of putting others off but il try slow down and practice
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Like one poster above stated...it's more likely your stroke/kick is too fast or inefficient. I've seen super fit, but non regular swimmers gasping for breath after one lap. Exactly what I'm like if I try to run!

Perhaps use a kickboard for a length or two of the pool to use only your legs, then a couple laps using only your arms (pull-buoys work great) and perfecting your arm stroke and proper breathing techniques.

Slow and controlled strokes until you build up stamina.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Much like every other pre-exercise; try to clear your mind of everything else that isn't related to your current workout, check and keep in check your breathing before and during the exercise: wait to start on a calm breath, usually an exhale, finally try to stay calm and concentrated in whatever amount of clarity you can get a hold of to maintain all above, good form, and execution as others have said.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    * Swimming can be really intense exercise, especially if you're not used to it. One lap may leave you breathless until you are used to it!
    * If your form is bad, you may be working too hard. You may need adult swim lessons, even if you "can swim".
    * Very skinny people have a harder time swimming. Not enough flotation!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Check out the copious resources on the swimsmooth website to improve your technique or.... to cut out the research just take a few adult swim lessons - you'll soon make vast improvements. I was exactly the same a few years ago and now I'm one of the fastest in our Tri club. Also try going slower to keep going longer, just as you would with running.

Try some different breathing patterns to find what works best for you - breathing every 2?3?4?5? We're all different and the usual 3 doesn't necessarily suit everyone. If it's what you're used to though remember to breath out fully underwater, 'bubble, bubble, breathe' is a helpful mantra to repeat in your head.

To improve efficiency make sure you're not lifting your head out of the water to breath, just rotate it to the side, look at the side wall of the pool, not behind you or upwards, keep one goggle in the water whilst you take your in-breath.
  • danibopp
    danibopp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Practice? I have been swimming less than 2 months and have already improved just with repetition. Started at 400 meters and now doing over a kilometer!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Swimming in particular is very technique based, as suggested above do some research on form and work on that. If your technique has issues it can be difficult to get enough air into your lungs, as well as being very inefficient.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Swim slower
  • JennyHsavage
    Options
    Swimming in particular is very technique based, as suggested above do some research on form and work on that. If your technique has issues it can be difficult to get enough air into your lungs, as well as being very inefficient.

• Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Slow down.
  • ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Back off so you're not breathing through your *kitten* and try not to worry about the faster swimmers , just hold your line and it's the faster swimmers problem to navigate around you
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do not worry about annoying others with your pace. You need to swim for you, not others! Some pools have slow, med, and fast lanes if circle swimmimg is used. Look into taking adult swim lessons for stroke improvement, the Y has a good series of classes and other places might also. Have fun! As said above, fitness takes mm time.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I served in the Coast Guard, and we used to swim every Friday, and not in a pool. It was far more exhausting then running. It's going to take time to adjust to a new form of exercise. As said above, technique and breathing are everything. Just like running.
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Are you breathing correctly? As mentioned before Op appears to be in great physical shape so I'm pretty sure it has to be your technique. Maybe you're so preoccupied about hitting someone in the pool that you forget to breathe?
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My swimming technique was horrendous, and as a result left me exhausted after one or two laps. I got some adult swim lessons, and now I can actually slow down and use proper technique to get me the same distance much faster.

Try just kicking with a flutter board and then the pull buoy exercise and when you have it all together in your head, put it together in the pool. If your technique still stinks, most community centers have adult stroke lessons. I went with private and got 10 half hour lessons for just over 200 dollars. Given that a pass to the pool was 5 bucks, it was actually a pretty good deal.

I'd come early, warm up for fifteen minutes, work on my stroke with the trainer for half an hour and then swim laps while it was still fresh for half an hour. Within five lessons I didn't even need the rest of them, and I was the worst ever.

Sometimes when an activity isn't our usual thing it's best to just get help and save the frustration. I mean, most people don't start something like yoga on their own, why do it with swimming?