Tips to Keep Going During a Plateau

Options
I've tried losing weight in the past, but never been able to really stick with it. After a discouraging doctor's appointment where I was told my weight technically put me at an obese BMI, I made a goal to lose 46 pounds, going from 201 to 155. MFP has been a lifesaver for me; I'm such a numbers oriented person that seeing the actual effects of my choices was huge. In addition to counting calories, I also committed to doing some sort of exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, and drastically upped my water consumption to get to a healthy level. The initial results: amazing; I've lost 17 pounds so far and I'm feeling great. Logically I knew that initial weight loss can happen fast when you're starting out overweight, and I also knew that eventually I would hit a place where the loss would level out or stagnate for a while. However, knowing it's a part of the process doesn't help much with the minor disappointments I'm feeling as I get on the scale lately. So while I have every intention of keeping up my new habits, I'm just wondering: what motivates you to keep pushing during the plateaus? Or what advice do you have on how to kickstart my body into losing weight again? I'm proud of what I've accomplished so far, so I want to make sure I stay focused and positive in order to reach my final goal.

Replies

• happymum55
    happymum55 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success so far. Try to keep in mind the good feeling you have when you waken in the morning and remember that you stayed within your calorie goal the previous day.
  • natyyl85510
    natyyl85510 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just keep going the numbers on my scales aren't changing as quickly as they were but my body is definitely shrinking try taking photos and comparing them as well as stepping on the scales I won't say throw the scales out I still step on them daily to check if there budgeing
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're calling a plateau. If it's only been a week or two since you've lost, just keep doing the same thing. If it's been over a month, then you're most likely eating more than you think and need to tighten up your logging.