Is Chipotle really healthy?

Options
I'm starting to watch my health and intake now that I am over 30 :open_mouth: My wife and I love to eat at Chipotle but when looking at their nutrition stats it is just too many calories for a meal, maybe splitting a meal is best.

I feel like most people think Chipotle is healthy but I don't see how it is any better than say McDonalds given an average meal there appears to be 1,100+ calories.

Marketing win for Chipotle or what?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Healthy is relative. When I go I get a bowl (the tortillas are very high calorie) and half the normal serving of rice. That usually cuts me down to 500-600 calories.
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I saw this post and laugh to myself. I remember when I had a misconception that it was healthy. Then I started tracking my calories. I went in there and tracked my burrito it was like 2000 cal just for the burrito granted I don't eat the whole thing but still. It really isn't any healthier than anywhere else the only thing that matters in weight loss of calorie deficiency.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Though I have never heard anybody in real life say that Chipotle is healthy, mostly due to the huge portions (which goes back to moderation.)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Chipotle isn't too dense on the calories if you get a bowl instead of a burrito. Those tortillas are ridiculous.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I find the chicken bowls to be fairly balanced macro-wise and a bowl, half a serving of chips, and a protein shake will pretty much fill me up for the day, within about 100 calories of my goal, too!
  • Boland_D
    Boland_D Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It's not horrible for you, but it's not a super food.
    It's better than McDonald's because it's not as processed.
    Depends on who you're talking to honestly.
    I treat Chipotle like any other meal out bc it's high in fat and sodium.
    Maybe don't eat the whole thing? I get a bowl with tortillas on the side w/water and eat half and it's very filling.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm starting to watch my health and intake now that I am over 30 :open_mouth: My wife and I love to eat at Chipotle but when looking at their nutrition stats it is just too many calories for a meal, maybe splitting a meal is best.

I feel like most people think Chipotle is healthy but I don't see how it is any better than say McDonalds given an average meal there appears to be 1,100+ calories.

Healthy has nothing to do with calories...there are many nutritionally awesome foods that are also calorie bombs.

As fast food goes, I'd say it's a better option nutritionally speaking that many places...but portions are still huge as with most restaurants...but that has nothing to do with nutrition...i.e. "healthy".
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Chipotle isn't too dense on the calories if you get a bowl instead of a burrito. Those tortillas are ridiculous.

One of my friends gets her burrito double wrapped. I admit to thinking about how many calories in tortilla alone that would be. Just looked it up and they are 300 cal each.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I love Chipotle, but it's a challenge making the calories work, I agree. I typically get a kids meal or a bowl and choose rice or beans, not both, which for me is where the calories add up. I will also choose cheese or sour cream, or have them go light on both. I do love the quality of ingredients, but it's also trade off on calories. I used to eat in one Chipotle bowl almost the calories I eat in also need entire day now.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Subway and Chipotle are the healthiest fast food chain I can think of. Although I don't eat any of that crap.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I get chicken tacos, black beans, no rice, just a little sour cream, with the pico. Pretty reasonable. I usually eat two of the three tacos.

You CAN eat healthy there.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I get the chicken tacos which are perfectly fine as a meal, little cup of rice on the side. Suggesting Chipotle is high calorie because of those massive burritos though? And what's nice is their web site allows you to do nutrition based on each component of a dish (pick the meat, toppings, etc.) As opposed to one catch all.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My friends are body builders. I think those are the only kind of people that don't have to worry about gaining weight. Cafe Rio is another one I have to be careful with. I think they are healthy, you just have to be careful.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options

Calories and content are 2 different things. Cashews are high calorie. A Jolly Rancher isn't. If you went calorie for calorie, what do you think would have a better impact on your health?

As for Chipotle, "health" isn't just about food. You can have a healthy diet with just about ANY FOOD in it if you're also supplying a good amount of other nutritious foods. But even with the best eating, if your weight, genetics, mind health, risk behavior, rest, and overall happiness aren't on par, then you STILL risk a health issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Leave off the cheese and sour cream, guac on the side and maybe don't eat it all. I think the other day I got white rice, pinto beans, veggies, salsa, corn and lettuce and it was 400 cals. With the guac adding I think another 200 that made two meals for a busy day on the go.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    When compared to most restaurants, Chipotle is not too bad. I love a good veggie bowl! But, when compared to fresh produce, or a meal prepared at home, ANY RESTAURANT is sub-par. No matter how healthy the base ingredients are, if a restaurant going compete with all the other restaurants out there, they will need to add salt, and often times oil or sugar.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I get a bowl and come home and make my own tacos out of it, I use store bought tortillas. I can make one bowl stretch to 3 meals. I appreciate that they try to buy free range meat. I have animal rights welfare issues. Plus it's in walking distance of my house and the only times I buy food out are when I've had a few too many beers. As for healthy I believe it's far superior to McDonald's but I'm not a nutrition expert. Well wait, today after coming home from costco I ate 1/2 of piece of pizza. So I shouldn't say "the only time"