Walking if sore?

Options
JaydedMiss
JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So its not unusual for me but i mathed out iv walked around 40 miles this week, Multiple days of 10+ miles. I walk ALOT generally and never had any issues. Maybe it was work or the steps but right now my legs are sore. Nothing crazy but when i move them im very aware of the muscles and when i stand/sit the burn kicks in. I feel generally...light? Its weird havign muscle soreness off something i do so much XD

I had decided to eat at maintenance and not walk for the weekend just to let my legs relax a bit.

But its beautiful out....

So tempted to go on a nice long walk even if im sore. What do you guys think, Walking is supposed to be nice and low impact and iv never had issues but is the soreness maybe a sign i need to suck it up and relax as planned or do you think since its just light walking it may actually help if the soreness was caused from work vs walking. Get the blood flowing.

Side note if you have any tips to help sore muscles im super listening. Its uncomfortable XD

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    A couple of short slow walks should ease your legs a little.

I have found this works well after I have walked a speedy 10km race. Not moving generally makes my legs seize up more and the DOMS last longer. If you can- a few body squats and lunges done throughout the day helps too.

Cheers, h.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I take a shot walk at a leisurely pace it may loosen you up some
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    A couple of short slow walks should ease your legs a little.

I have found this works well after I have walked a speedy 10km race. Not moving generally makes my legs seize up more and the DOMS last longer. If you can- a few body squats and lunges done throughout the day helps too.

Cheers, h.

I agree with this. I also took a really long walk yesterday and woke up a little stiff and sore. I find that light activity and lots of good stretching helps.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I vote for the walk. I find being really inactive actually makes the soreness worse.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    When I've felt sore I usually still go for a walk, but maybe not as long and a slower pace. I'll feel even more stiff throughout the day when I don't.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Stretching exercises always help me.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I did exactly that today. Took my DOMS for a nice slow walk in the lovely February sunshine, stretched and massaged them with a warming gel. :smile:

Just what I needed after a week of fog alternating with rain.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can go wrong with walking!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    While we do need to take a break ever so often, putting in a little bit of exercise can help reduce the soreness from exerting ourselves on other days.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Stiffness and a bit of burn just sounds like muscle fatigue and a gentle walk is unlikely to do any harm - you may just find you don't have as much strength as usual for climbing up stuff. I have that from a long cycle yesterday, but I cycled again today. I could really feel the fatigue and felt the burn much earlier than before. But not in a bad way.

If you're feeling twinges, shooting pains, or feeling the need to limp, or if the pain makes you distressed in any way, that's a different kettle of fish and I wouldn't walk on it.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I usually do a short easy walk when I'm stiff and a bit sore. Pain is a different thing. If you feel like you're injured, then you want to rest it.

One thing that helps when I've done more than usual is Epsom Salt baths. It helps with the inflammation.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    When I'm sore I enjoy a relaxing walk, restorative yoga, and/or a hot bath with lavender epsom salts. I can't guarantee that the epsom salts really work for muscle soreness, but the lavender smells great!
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I know for many walkers/runners, abnormal aches and tiredness in the legs can be a sign that the cushioning in your shoes has worn out. When was the last time you replaced your shoes?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If it is just soreness, than they'll most likely feel better after your walk than they do now.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    And ditto on the epsom salts.