Weightloss and Disabilities

Options
I have struggled with a slow weight gain since middle school when a lot of medical problems came up, as they got worse so did my depression and my weight issues... Does anyone know some relatively easy workounts for people who struggle getting cardio in due to muscle problems or other tthing? If any other people who struggle with anything that makes it harder to find workouts, we can come here and help eachother I hope.

Replies

• LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I know the elliptical machine is pretty good for a low intense workout, or you can try a bike you can sit on more like a workout bike.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Any sort of physical activity can be considered exercise. You don't have to do workouts to lose weight, weight loss comes from your calorie intake. Exercise has other health benefits and can help you burn calories, but focusing on your calorie intake is going to be the main factor for weight loss.

That being said if you like to walk, hike, dance, swim, or ride a bike those are all things that can be considered exercise. Start with things you are comfortable with and enjoy, then work from there.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have a serious heart condition that damaged alot of my organs. For me im to scared to do alot of cardio so i walk. Longer distances, Try to get 10k-25k steps a day (5-15 miles) I started off slot slower iv worked my way up, But im down 83 pounds in 9 months so it has to be effective right. No one says cardio has to be super hardcore

edit: just to be clear the large step counts are fairly new, within past 25 or so pounds. Theres definatly no need to walk as much as me for weight loss. Every step helps
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,878 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Walking 3000 steps in 30 minutes in as little as 3 bouts of 10 minutes can be considered sufficient to meet the WHO moderate aerobic exercise requirements.

In general around 100-110 steps a minute is a MET 3.0 or higher "moderate" exercise.

Whether this would be suitable for your differential abilities is best discussed with your doctor who may be able to offer more suitable alternatives or refer you to someone who can do so.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Do you have access to a heated pool? I have femur and hip issues and joined a gym with a heated pool. On good days I can use the weight machines and bike, and swim laps. On bad days I can get in the pool and walk laps or do other movements.

Some physical therapists do pool therapy and can help with movements.
  • tgcake
    tgcake Posts: 59 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I am physically disabled. I walk slowly, 4-5 times a week for 20-40 minutes depending on what my body can handle. When I could get to a gym, the elliptical was my machine of choice; it's low impact, and you can increase the resistance while still going slow.

Stationary bikes, and swimming may also work for you.

I second heated pools, and just walking in them; I do that as part of my PT.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Walking.
  • ItsaBunny
    ItsaBunny Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cmtigger, I don't have access to a heated pool, or any pool really though I bet it would help a lot.